So what's with all the "cupping"?

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's the placebo effect. Same with the nose nasal "openers", and those ridiculous duct tape looking strips on the thighs, knees, whereever, and the grunting on every swing in tennis. Even several of the softball pitchers --including one of ours -- grunts on every pitch. Monica Seles started that nonsense, maybe that's why the guy stabbed her.
Wow what a difference getting stabbed makes.

msplump1.jpg
Monica%20Seles-SPX-051706.jpg

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
So, now it's okay to ask a lady her cup size.

New field : Accupsuckture ? Swolistick Health Care ?

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Apparently I'm the only one here who's been cupped before.

Had it done to me many times when I was a kid. Thought it was child abuse back then. Still do. Medieval ****, barely a step above leeching.

We didn't use any of these fancy rounded cups either. A family member would wrap some cotton around the tines of a fork, dip it in rubbing alcohol, and light it on fire. Then you stick the little torch into a glass. Same ones we drank out of. The flame would burn out the oxygen inside the cup and create a vacuum. The hot cup was then immediately slapped down on your back. To preserve the vacuum, the person applying the cups had to work fast and close to the victim's back. That flaming fork was just inches from my back. The vacuum would pull your flesh into the cup and hold it fast. Hurt like a mother, especially when you're just skin and bones. After a short while, the cups would start to get loose. The torturer, er, practioner, would pluck it off, stick the little torch back in, then slap it down on the back. Over and over again. You see, they figured where it hurt the most is where the "cold" was so they focused on that area. That's why they did it to me, to cure me of a bad cold or bronchitis or whatever. They figured it sucked the cold out of you. Kind of like leeches (in fact, there is a version of cupping where you actually make shallow cuts in the skin to suck out the bad blood along with the bad vapors or evil spirits or whatever the hell they figured they were doing).

The mark didn't look like what you see on the athletes. On them, it is a solid disk. It was more like overlapping doughnut shaped bruises on me. Black and blue rings, not a dark red disk. Looked like a honeycomb on my back. A little bit like this, but much worse:

cupping-therapy-marks-on-skin-fa507h.jpg

I remember going in to the doctor after having this done. He was familiar with the process. He had a new intake nurse. She had taken my blood pressure, temperature, etc., asked about my symptoms and all that. So after she turns me over to the doctor and leaves he calls her back in. Being new, she's concerned that she must have screwed up. He asks her about the intake procedure, if she asked me all the questions, etc. I have no idea where he's going with this (plus I'm just a sick kid) so I'm sitting there quietly. The doctor then asks me to take my shirt off and turn around. The doctor tells his nurse that the entire clinic is now in quarantine due to the rare, highly contagious tropical disease I was carrying. She literally ran out of the exam room screaming in horror. That is an absolutely true story.

Alex.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
I've found that when I suffer some type of rhumatic distress, I just snort a couple lines and I'm good to go. I used to rely on the old homeopathic burnt coffee ground enema and pussy willow vapors with the hot stone treatment or an occasional gall bladder from a koala bear soaked in fish urine but they've gotten rather pricey.
Try online, although I hear the pharma industry is lobbying to get the FDA to ban fish urine soaked koala bear gall bladders in this country as there are at least 13 people now using it and it is cutting into their market.

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Alex, I saw a cupping demo on some Olympic athlete. That cup had a tube connecting to a vacuum pump.
Those after-spots are medically called ecchymoses or blood leaked out of vessels. Since it's all a crop they
could be called crop circles. If such shows up on you naturally, something medically wrong is happening.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Apparently I'm the only one here who's been cupped before.

Had it done to me many times when I was a kid. Thought it was child abuse back then. Still do. Medieval ****, barely a step above leeching.

We didn't use any of these fancy rounded cups either. A family member would wrap some cotton around the tines of a fork, dip it in rubbing alcohol, and light it on fire. Then you stick the little torch into a glass. Same ones we drank out of. The flame would burn out the oxygen inside the cup and create a vacuum. The hot cup was then immediately slapped down on your back. To preserve the vacuum, the person applying the cups had to work fast and close to the victim's back. That flaming fork was just inches from my back. The vacuum would pull your flesh into the cup and hold it fast. Hurt like a mother, especially when you're just skin and bones. After a short while, the cups would start to get loose. The torturer, er, practioner, would pluck it off, stick the little torch back in, then slap it down on the back. Over and over again. You see, they figured where it hurt the most is where the "cold" was so they focused on that area. That's why they did it to me, to cure me of a bad cold or bronchitis or whatever. They figured it sucked the cold out of you. Kind of like leeches (in fact, there is a version of cupping where you actually make shallow cuts in the skin to suck out the bad blood along with the bad vapors or evil spirits or whatever the hell they figured they were doing).

The mark didn't look like what you see on the athletes. On them, it is a solid disk. It was more like overlapping doughnut shaped bruises on me. Black and blue rings, not a dark red disk. Looked like a honeycomb on my back. A little bit like this, but much worse:

cupping-therapy-marks-on-skin-fa507h.jpg

I remember going in to the doctor after having this done. He was familiar with the process. He had a new intake nurse. She had taken my blood pressure, temperature, etc., asked about my symptoms and all that. So after she turns me over to the doctor and leaves he calls her back in. Being new, she's concerned that she must have screwed up. He asks her about the intake procedure, if she asked me all the questions, etc. I have no idea where he's going with this (plus I'm just a sick kid) so I'm sitting there quietly. The doctor then asks me to take my shirt off and turn around. The doctor tells his nurse that the entire clinic is now in quarantine due to the rare, highly contagious tropical disease I was carrying. She literally ran out of the exam room screaming in horror. That is an absolutely true story.
Alex.

Alex, I also have had cupping done a couple of times in the distant past, and my experiences and that of patients were very different than what was done to you and those athletes. I have watched cupping being done by a TCM doctor, and may have done a little myself. It was so long ago, I don't remember if I just watched the process and removed the cups at an appropriate time or did the whole thing. The cups were the rounded thick lipped kind. They were not heated enough to feel hot to the skin, just comfortably warm. Only a couple or maybe 4 spots were done using one cup. The cup was not on for long at all, and we were very careful to not cause much skin and soft tissue to be sucked up into it. The results were relaxed tissue and less pain, pink, not purplish marks that did not hurt and faded out fairly quickly. Patients gave favorable feedback and did not express discomfort although we might have heard it felt a bit weird occasionally with the tissus being sucked into the cup. The key is to not let it get sucked up very far or leave it on too long.

Mostly we used massage to the areas with the old non weakened Tiger Balm Red, White Flowier Oil ( wintergreen), or Zheng Ghu Shui, a linament that penetrates and relaxes, helps inflammation a bit, and is not hot feeling.

Leeches were used in some conditions of "excess heat", probably "excess heat in blood", maybe extreme fever conditions. ( seems like used for that in American and European herbal medicine long ago as well) Don't remember details. More of an earlier century tool, but they actually do have a sensible function within the paradigm of the human system that is TCM and I think in some other older heallng systems, maybe Aryuveda? There are a plethora of Chinese herbal formulas though available in TCM for various types of "excess heat" "patterns", so leeches really aren't necessary as those are easily obtainable..

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Cupping has Arabic origin. In fact the Prophet Mohammad recommended it, but his style
involved cutting the skin before applying suction (true). So the root name for that is
Al-hijamah. In the universities in Saudi Arabia & Egypt cupping is in their category :
Prophetic Medicine ?

When the Chinese got ahold of this it became a way of rebalancing your Yin & Yang energy
sources in your body. Ye ole Yin-Yang sales-pitch.

The "closest to" scientific article I could find had trickster sentences, like giving the "cupping extractions" similar credit as the glomeruli's filtering function in your kidney.??...
Trickster sentence : "Cupping stimulates inhibitory receptive fields of the multi-receptive dorsal
horn neurons of the spinal chord to stop pain." No wonder thru my painful teens that my girl
giving me a hickey made me feel so good.

Olympic heroes doing this will probably elevate the demand for cupping. Follow the money.

Last edited:

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Practitioners I knew used cupping along spine primarily for pain and spasm when the accompanying patterns were right.Here is more than 99% of you want to know about cupping.

Moxibustion is way more common and much less hassle. Usually just hold the moxa stick near the skin surface and let it heat with the herb vapors penetrating. Can be done a different way if called for by the pattern. Downside is it makes the treatment area smell sort of like pot and the room might be uncomfortable for those with respiratory problems.

http://old.tcmwiki.com/wiki/cupping
"The Actions and Indications for Cupping"

"Cupping therapy has the action of warming the meridians, invigorating qi and blood circulation, relieving blood stagnation, alleviating pain and swelling and dispelling damp and cold. With this extensive range of indications, it's commonly applied for wind cold-damp bi syndrome, lumbar pain, shoulder and back pain, aching low extremities, soft tissue sprains and contusions, common colds, headaches, cough, asthma, stomachaches, abdominal pain and dysmenorrhea."

" Cupping is contraindicated on patients with skin allergies, ulcers, or edema, as well as on the precordium and places supplied with large blood vessels. It is also contraindicated for those that have high fevers accompanied by convulsions, and on the abdominal and sacral areas of pregnant women.."

Turns out there are different types of materials of cups for different functions as well. If you actually want to know, check the above link.

http://www.acos.org/articles/chinese-medicine-cupping/
"Cupping affects the flow of Qi and blood. It helps draw out and eliminate pathogenic factors such as wind, cold, damp and heat. Cupping also moves Qi and Blood and opens the pores of the skin, thus precipitating the removal of pathogens through the skin itself."

I can pretty much guarantee that the use of cupping with Olympic athletes has little to nothing to do with TCM diagnosis and theory.

Last edited:

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
In the old Caribbean "cupping" is also known as "voodoo". Though there, practitioners applied it to a crude straw-doll likeness of the patient. With time and the introduction of steel technology by European explorers, cupping gave way to "needling" where in lieu of cup suction, one inserts a needle into and chants over a doll to induce a physiological effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.