Some thoughts on the game

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The only Penalty of the game for the Gators was with 3:22 left in the game. That is a few in over 30 years (1 penalty), I believe I heard on the radio this morning.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n274054 said:
The only Penalty of the game for the Gators was with 3:22 left in the game. That is a few in over 30 years (1 penalty), I believe I heard on the radio this morning.

Yeah it was the first time we've had only one penalty in a game since 1977. I knew we'd always been a heavily penalized team no matter the coach, but that's an insane stat.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
BMF;n274050 said:
FYI, the freshman RB's name is CronkRite.

Yes, there is an "R" in there. He is NOT related to the deceased newsman, Walter......

Kron-krite doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n273429 said:
Many good points made in here. Just to add a few thoughts from what I saw..

We look night and day better than what we've witnessed/endured the past 5 seasons. Forget the score, and the big plays which are obviously skewed by the opponent we're facing. The fact is we are a functioning unit that entered the game with a clearly defined vision. The kids have bought in, and they're being taught and are playing with focus and confidence. Senseless penalties, not lining up right, forced timeouts, have nothing to do with opponent. That starts at the top, and is one of the reasons why some of us have been a little more confident coming into the year. We have a real coach again, not a lunatic playing one on tv.

As has been repeated, Grier is special. I was a huge Treon fan last year, and still am. But I still think there is a bit of a ceiling with him and some of what he did Saturday won't work once we get into conference play. Hopefully we learn a little more against ECU. The good news is I think Mac's approach will keep a fire under both of them.

I'm not great at assessing the OL, but I thought they were about as expected, and we'd pegged this as a trouble area for some time. The good thing is there is some youth that should improve, and as evidenced by the lack of procedure penalties, we seem to be well coached there. It will be ugly at times, but hopefully we'll improve throughout the course of the year.

Hardin was great. No idea how he can suddenly boom every kick through the uprights, yet we've struggled for years with that. Another area that has to be mental or S&C. In any event, that's a huge plus for us and may be critical for us in some of our toss-up games.

The only things I didn't' like were not taking the 15 yards on the PF, which would've made it 3rd and 21. They were clearly going for it, so I thought that was a mistake. Secondly, not sure if it's been mentioned, but I wouldn't be surprised if Poole is replaced by Wilson at some point this season. He's still a liability in coverage, imo.

I thought the same thing. They were clearly in range for a decent FG attempt, It would've put them just over midfield with a 3rd and 21 as you stated. So declining the penalty didn't make much sense.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
LagoonGator68;n274059 said:
Kron-krite doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

I know his name and still find myself saying Cronkite and leaving out the "r."

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Isn't it CRONK- rite?

Besides, why are we talking about this when we have Harry Gornto The Fifth on the team?

FatCatG8r

Aug 10, 2014
Ray Finkle;n273071 said:
I haven't read all the posts here, and I am sure it's been brought up multiple times, but penalties. One fricking penalty. It was a dumb one and should have never happened, but one fricking penalty. That is the biggest stat to me. We have a ton of youth and struggled where we expexted to. I can live with all of that though. Fulwood's drop was painful and I wish Grier would have protected the ball he fumbled. Line has some work to do but it will come together over time. TEs looked like a strength. Never would have thought it since Reed left. Grier's got a cannon and his thought process is lightning quick. Very happy with Treon and would not be upset at all if Mac thought he should be the guy. That said, I think it has to be Grier. Cronkrite was more impressive than Scarlet, but both of those guys look to be more than serviceable sec backs. D didn't seem locked in, but I was happy with the play of Tabor, Anzalone, and CeCe. CeCe is retard strong. Literally picked up and tossed their RT to the side. Safety position will improve next week and hopefully the D will come out wanting to prove something next week. Special teams did very well aside from the blocked PAT. No complaints there. Again, one fricking penalty. The oline, in all their youth, did not have one false start. That is confidence, coaching, and a reflection of the staff that is in place. It was New Mexico St and I am a realist, but my main thing this year is not win totals, but progress. This team, especially the offense, impressed me with how much they have taken in in such a short time. Mac has my attention and support. We didn't do anything crazy, but you don't have to to be successful. Its about execution. If you execute your play, you will move the ball. They did that, and I like what I see. Get ready ecu, you're second dose is going to be much stronger.

We actually had two penalties, but one was negated by offsetting. Both penalties were, interestingly, by the same player, McMillian. I imagine he will pay for it in practice and playing time. I expect, also, that we won't see it happen again with him. JMac will make sure of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.