Some thoughts on the game

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
As Mom and I were coming home from a funeral today, we were talking about the differences we noticed last night. Someone already mentioned it but it was the LACK of offsides, illegal formation, illegal procedure, time outs because they couldn't get the play off in time, and personal fouls that stood out the most to me. Last night's Gator football team was a completely new and improved team. In the years past under the old staff, you always had this fear deep in your gut that somebody was going to do something stupid to completely kill a drive or extend the opponent's drive. Boy was it nice seeing my Gators out there playing the game of football like they actually knew what they were supposed to be doing and not making all the bone headed mistakes we'd become so used to in recent years.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I will say this. Receivers caught the ball. I kept hearing that in practice they were not making Mac happy. BUT I am always hopeful. Always.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I agree that Grier looked better when it came to getting the ball away quick and seeing the field just a bit better, but with our OL I just don't think he's gonna be able to sit back there and do it when we get to the likes of LSU, UGA etc. we will need both as we go down the year. O line needs much more work (we knew this) but got better as the game went on and should improve game to game and we will get Ivey back against KY/TN. The D scared me in the first half but didn't give up a first down I think in the second half, and getting Maye and mccallister back from suspension will help there, including Neal from injury. Receivers looked fantastic in my opinion, except from the drop by fulwood they made good catches and so did the tight ends. We have a nice trio there. As far as running back is concerned, I was very impressed with Cronkrite. Dudes a load to bring down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
stephenPE;n273002 said:
I will say this. Receivers caught the ball. I kept hearing that in practice they were not making Mac happy. BUT I am always hopeful. Always.

Bailey's catch was pretty sick

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My thoughts are...how can we not be in the playoff picture this year after this hot performance?!?!

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
I haven't read all the posts here, and I am sure it's been brought up multiple times, but penalties. One fricking penalty. It was a dumb one and should have never happened, but one fricking penalty. That is the biggest stat to me. We have a ton of youth and struggled where we expexted to. I can live with all of that though. Fulwood's drop was painful and I wish Grier would have protected the ball he fumbled. Line has some work to do but it will come together over time. TEs looked like a strength. Never would have thought it since Reed left. Grier's got a cannon and his thought process is lightning quick. Very happy with Treon and would not be upset at all if Mac thought he should be the guy. That said, I think it has to be Grier. Cronkrite was more impressive than Scarlet, but both of those guys look to be more than serviceable sec backs. D didn't seem locked in, but I was happy with the play of Tabor, Anzalone, and CeCe. CeCe is retard strong. Literally picked up and tossed their RT to the side. Safety position will improve next week and hopefully the D will come out wanting to prove something next week. Special teams did very well aside from the blocked PAT. No complaints there. Again, one fricking penalty. The oline, in all their youth, did not have one false start. That is confidence, coaching, and a reflection of the staff that is in place. It was New Mexico St and I am a realist, but my main thing this year is not win totals, but progress. This team, especially the offense, impressed me with how much they have taken in in such a short time. Mac has my attention and support. We didn't do anything crazy, but you don't have to to be successful. Its about execution. If you execute your play, you will move the ball. They did that, and I like what I see. Get ready ecu, you're second dose is going to be much stronger.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Grier's quick release and rifle arm kinda shocked me. We've not had a real QB since Leak have we? And even though he threw a damn nice spiral I don't remember his release being so fast.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
threatmatrix;n273087 said:
Grier's quick release and rifle arm kinda shocked me. We've not had a real QB since Leak have we? And even though he threw a damn nice spiral I don't remember his release being so fast.
We haven't had a rifle-armed guy since Grossman.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n273295 said:
We haven't had a rifle-armed guy since Grossman.

Driskel had a cannon...but he only liked to showcase it on screen plays. :lol:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, Leak had a quick and accurate arm but not the best arm strength. Same with Wuerffel and Matthews actually.

I will take quick and accurate every day though, luckily for us Grier has all three.

krisl648

Founding Member
Life Long Gator!
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
One thing I dont think has been mentioned....Our kicker can actually kick the ball into and out of the end zone on the kick off. I think he actually hit the cross bar with one kick off. Some old dude behind me was complaining about it. Started to knock him in the head!!

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Why couldn't mussberger get Cronkrite's name right all night? It isn't that hard... On another note, when MAC spread the ball out and we went 4 wide, the field opened up like a beautiful flower.. It was an awesome thing to behold after the last 6 years of offensive torture... Mac is a really good coach and it is apparent in how they take care of the little details of the game..

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n273071 said:
I haven't read all the posts here, and I am sure it's been brought up multiple times, but penalties. One fricking penalty. It was a dumb one and should have never happened, but one fricking penalty. That is the biggest stat to me. We have a ton of youth and struggled where we expexted to. I can live with all of that though. Fulwood's drop was painful and I wish Grier would have protected the ball he fumbled. Line has some work to do but it will come together over time. TEs looked like a strength. Never would have thought it since Reed left. Grier's got a cannon and his thought process is lightning quick. Very happy with Treon and would not be upset at all if Mac thought he should be the guy. That said, I think it has to be Grier. Cronkrite was more impressive than Scarlet, but both of those guys look to be more than serviceable sec backs. D didn't seem locked in, but I was happy with the play of Tabor, Anzalone, and CeCe. CeCe is retard strong. Literally picked up and tossed their RT to the side. Safety position will improve next week and hopefully the D will come out wanting to prove something next week. Special teams did very well aside from the blocked PAT. No complaints there. Again, one fricking penalty. The oline, in all their youth, did not have one false start. That is confidence, coaching, and a reflection of the staff that is in place. It was New Mexico St and I am a realist, but my main thing this year is not win totals, but progress. This team, especially the offense, impressed me with how much they have taken in in such a short time. Mac has my attention and support. We didn't do anything crazy, but you don't have to to be successful. Its about execution. If you execute your play, you will move the ball. They did that, and I like what I see. Get ready ecu, you're second dose is going to be much stronger.

Well actually two penalties and both the worst sort like Champ tolerated.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Many good points made in here. Just to add a few thoughts from what I saw..

We look night and day better than what we've witnessed/endured the past 5 seasons. Forget the score, and the big plays which are obviously skewed by the opponent we're facing. The fact is we are a functioning unit that entered the game with a clearly defined vision. The kids have bought in, and they're being taught and are playing with focus and confidence. Senseless penalties, not lining up right, forced timeouts, have nothing to do with opponent. That starts at the top, and is one of the reasons why some of us have been a little more confident coming into the year. We have a real coach again, not a lunatic playing one on tv.

As has been repeated, Grier is special. I was a huge Treon fan last year, and still am. But I still think there is a bit of a ceiling with him and some of what he did Saturday won't work once we get into conference play. Hopefully we learn a little more against ECU. The good news is I think Mac's approach will keep a fire under both of them.

I'm not great at assessing the OL, but I thought they were about as expected, and we'd pegged this as a trouble area for some time. The good thing is there is some youth that should improve, and as evidenced by the lack of procedure penalties, we seem to be well coached there. It will be ugly at times, but hopefully we'll improve throughout the course of the year.

Hardin was great. No idea how he can suddenly boom every kick through the uprights, yet we've struggled for years with that. Another area that has to be mental or S&C. In any event, that's a huge plus for us and may be critical for us in some of our toss-up games.

The only things I didn't' like were not taking the 15 yards on the PF, which would've made it 3rd and 21. They were clearly going for it, so I thought that was a mistake. Secondly, not sure if it's been mentioned, but I wouldn't be surprised if Poole is replaced by Wilson at some point this season. He's still a liability in coverage, imo.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm with Vulcan here. Everybody keeps talking about only 1 penalty in the game, but as I remember it, it was two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties on consecutive punt returns. #31(Tabor?) the first time, and #13 the second time. Either way, 2 is still way less than we're used to seeing.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n273429 said:
Hardin was great. No idea how he can suddenly boom every kick through the uprights, yet we've struggled for years with that. Another area that has to be mental or S&C. In any event, that's a huge plus for us and may be critical for us in some of our toss-up games.

I think he's always been able to. I'm pretty sure that Muschamp, like Meyer, wanted to try to pin them behind the 25 / 20. I've never thought it was a worthwhile strategy, though our coverage teams have been pretty good overall. Still, the possibility of gaining a few yards + the slim possibility of a turnover < risk of the Gators making an error and allowing a big return + possibility of an injury in a kickoff return.

Nonetheless, Urban had the same philosophy.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
NavetG8r;n273431 said:
I'm with Vulcan here. Everybody keeps talking about only 1 penalty in the game, but as I remember it, it was two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties on consecutive punt returns. #31(Tabor?) the first time, and #13 the second time. Either way, 2 is still way less than we're used to seeing.

The reason everyone is saying one is because we only had one charged penalty. The first one was offsetting so it didn't cost us anything. Regardless, when's the last time we only had two penalties in a game? Yes they were bad, but I'm much happier that we didn't have a single procedural penalty on offense, nor did we jump on defense. We certainly didn't have any boneheaded personal foul plays on offense or defense either. That is a welcome change!

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
FYI, the freshman RB's name is CronkRite.

Yes, there is an "R" in there. He is NOT related to the deceased newsman, Walter......

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
BMF;n274050 said:
FYI, the freshman RB's name is CronkRite.

Yes, there is an "R" in there. He is NOT related to the deceased newsman, Walter......

No wonder Musberger sounded drunk every time he tried to say Kronkite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator