Something to fight about

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Shocked that our resident Bammer is overly familiar with competitive eating, including knowing the names of the top of the field.
We like to eat too ya know... :scratchhead: And I thought everyone knew about Chestnut...

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
I have no idea how to characterize sitting in a 140 degree pit of hell for 4 hours, pissing yourself, within inches of another damned fool sitting in his own a pit of hell in 140 degree heat for 4 hours, at 195-200 mph.
Or running in a bull ring with 30 degree banking at speeds of over 125 mph for 500 times around, with someone at your door, on your azz or on your front bumper, for over 4 hours.
The skill to drive a car that fast, the intense concentration to continually hit the exact same spot, 500 times, the endurance to stand the physical demands and mental demands, require training beyond anything not considered, sport.

Yes, the old days with Fat rednecks running a basically stock car with a souped up engine are long gone.
These kids today train, they tun marathons, they train for iron man contests, they're physically fit, or they don't win.
Thats just Nascar and the many, many other forms of auto racing here in the US.

Formula 1 takes that to an entirely different level.

Sport?
Personally, I've driven dirt tracks and a few asphalt races.
The Saturday night heat races with a 25 lap or 50 lap feature, are just a bunch of guys having fun or, young up and comers trying to get to the next level.
It's fun, fist fights, beer and a bunch of tinkering with the engine, transmissions , gearing and body work. Afterall, "Rubbin is Racin'"

But, when you make it to the "real" level, with sponsors, and car owners, that redneck "fun" stuff goes away pretty fast.
You better eat right, train your azz off and be mentally sharp.

Sport?
I think so.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I have no idea how to characterize sitting in a 140 degree pit of hell for 4 hours, pissing yourself, within inches of another damned fool sitting in his own a pit of hell in 140 degree heat for 4 hours, at 195-200 mph.
Or running in a bull ring with 30 degree banking at speeds of over 125 mph for 500 times around, with someone at your door, on your azz or on your front bumper, for over 4 hours.
The skill to drive a car that fast, the intense concentration to continually hit the exact same spot, 500 times, the endurance to stand the physical demands and mental demands, require training beyond anything not considered, sport.

Yes, the old days with Fat rednecks running a basically stock car with a souped up engine are long gone.
These kids today train, they tun marathons, they train for iron man contests, they're physically fit, or they don't win.

Sport?
The Saturday night heat races with a 25 lap or 50 lap feature, are just a bunch of guys having fun or, young up and comers trying to get to the next level.
It's fun, fist fights, beer and a bunch of tinkering with the engine, transmissions , gearing and body work. Afterall, "Rubbin is Racin'"

But, when you make it to the "real" level, with sponsors, and car owners, that redneck "fun" stuff goes away pretty fast.

Sport?
I think so.
Everything you say about racing is true, but that doesn’t mean it’s a sport. The world is full of grueling activities that only people in phenomenal shape with great skill can survive, but they aren’t sports.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

Sport?

Sport?
I think so.
I drive a car every day, sport. :lol:

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Everything you say about racing is true, but that doesn’t mean it’s a sport. The world is full of grueling activities that only people in phenomenal shape with great skill can survive, but they aren’t sports.
Not saying I disagree, or agree.
I guess, It comes down to your personal definition of "Sport".
I could easily narrow it down to Basketball, Football, Baseball and some "olympic" sports, Like wrestling, track and field.
My "personal" definition of sport would include Auto racing.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Wrestling, MMA, competitive swimming.

All just "activities."

Personally I want to see GBM tell Jon jones, cain Velasquez or Michael Phelps this in person :lol:

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
iu

Alex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.