Not open for further replies.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n111681 said:
I still think an established coach with a record of success is the better route than the same gamble on the other side of things.
The guy has had quite limited success. And he's had almost no success on offense. I don't know why you'd bring an OC that does poorly on offense. (Ditto with a DC like Zook who never made good defenses.) Even if his offense were different, he wouldn't do it for me.

This isn't Creyer who cranked out undefeated teams every other year. He's been a 3-5 loss guy.

I'd much rather have Chad Morris. Or even Roper as an interim with a year to prove himself.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You also got to factor in Chad Morris has recruited this state very well and he'd clean house if he got hired here. The only reason he hasn't landed a head coaching job is because he wants too much money for assistants. He understands it takes a good coach on the other side of the ball to be good

GatorCrunch

Nov 20, 2014
The pro style doesnt work that well in college unless you can recruit pro sized and skilled offensive linemen .There are too many colleges competing for those type of linemen so the pool becomes diluted to a point where you recruit smaller and less able OL .

Case in point is the Gator OL .You get a couple of injuries to the top guys and the dropoff is too noticeable.
I hope we hire a successful college coach who advocates a wide open type of offense.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;n111624 said:
Pretty absurd for a CSU coach. Think Arky State may have put in a high one after getting poached year after year.

Can we hire their AD please????

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
GatorCrunch;n111702 said:
The pro style doesnt work that well in college unless you can recruit pro sized and skilled offensive linemen .There are too many colleges competing for those type of linemen so the pool becomes diluted to a point where you recruit smaller and less able OL .

Case in point is the Gator OL .You get a couple of injuries to the top guys and the dropoff is too noticeable.
I hope we hire a successful college coach who advocates a wide open type of offense.
Way to jump right in. How did you find this place?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n111678 said:
Of course it is. I think most of the people mentioning this name have never even seen one of their games or know that he loses 3-4 games a year in the Sunbelt. He's Derek Dooley but without the passing.

We would be far, far better off finding a big gun OC and hoping he's smart enough to leave the other side of the ball to a good DC. They also would be much less of a risk than offensive minded HCs who have already proven they can't field a defense and thus can't win (Horgorson, Dick Rod, etc).

I've watched his games. I'm pretty sure they've played some tough OOC games OSU, UF(12), Arkansas, KSU...I gotta tell you. You are talking out your ass. DO you anything about him...at all?

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
What is with the Doc nutswinging? Someone has to win the Special Olympics, and that's Marshall this year. I'm personally shocked the Rhode Island Rams didn't get them this year

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Start your offers at .5mil above Saban's salary starting with the guy you really want. Put it out publicly that each successive offer drops by 1mil. Foley's phone would start ringing off the hook.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorCrunch;n111702 said:

This is a good point

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Mudd;n111710 said:
If this hire goes south I'm all in for that.

Yeah...let's wait till he goes 1/4...my god...

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
Here's a brand-new name brought up by the sports-mad Huffington Post: Mack Brown!

Candidate Two: Mack Brown (Former Texas HC)
Muschamp had famously jumped ship from Texas after being tabbed Brown's successor to the head coaching job there. How ironic would it be if Brown took over for Muschamp at Florida? The career numbers for Brown are certainly there, as he went 238-117-1 (.670) overall in 29 seasons as a collegiate head coach. He appeared in 21 bowls in those seasons (seventh all-time in NCAA history), and won 13 of them, had nine seasons of 10-plus victories, and won a national championship in 2005 with Texas. While things didn't end particularly pretty with the Longhorns, Brown consistently attracted top talent and maintained a winning culture while at the helm of perhaps the biggest football program in the entire NCAA. Brown would be a no-brainer, should he decide to return to coaching.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
QueenCityGator;n111762 said:
Here's a brand-new name brought up by the sports-mad Huffington Post: Mack Brown!

Candidate Two: Mack Brown (Former Texas HC)
Muschamp had famously jumped ship from Texas after being tabbed Brown's successor to the head coaching job there. How ironic would it be if Brown took over for Muschamp at Florida? The career numbers for Brown are certainly there, as he went 238-117-1 (.670) overall in 29 seasons as a collegiate head coach. He appeared in 21 bowls in those seasons (seventh all-time in NCAA history), and won 13 of them, had nine seasons of 10-plus victories, and won a national championship in 2005 with Texas. While things didn't end particularly pretty with the Longhorns, Brown consistently attracted top talent and maintained a winning culture while at the helm of perhaps the biggest football program in the entire NCAA. Brown would be a no-brainer, should he decide to return to coaching.

No.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Saw Gary Andersen's name mentioned a couple times on here. An SI guy on the radio talked about him and commented that he could be a real contender if Foley decided to do research on him. Apparently, he is comfortable running both the running style at Wisconsin and a wide open offense at Utah State. Played C in college but made a living coaching on the defensive side. Seems to understand both sides of the ball.

Offense

Utah State
2009 32nd in total offense, 47th in scoring
2010 47th in total offense, 94th in scoring
2011 20th in total offense, 23rd in scoring
2012 23rd in total offense, 25th in scoring

Wisconsin
2013 19th in total offense, 28th in scoring
2014 18th in total offense, 11th in scoring

Defense

Utah State
2009 107th in total defense, 107th in scoring
2010 93rd in total defense, 100th in scoring
2011 57th in total defense, 68th in scoring
2012 15th in total defense, 7th in scoring

Wisconsin
2013 9th in total defense, 6th in scoring
2014 1st in total defense, 3rd in scoring

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I brought up Wells briefly this morning. Definitely an up and comer.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n111816 said:
We don't need an up and comer. We need proven, well known winner

They on grow "proven winner trees" , right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator