Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n119684 said:
This is a continuation of this thread, which had become bloated:

https://gatorchatter.com/forum/main-s...rumors-part-iv

Some information is trickling in from several different sources. Not surprisingly, they seem to conflict with each other. :lol:

The first is this, and this is a direct copy and paste:

It looks like the next coach is coming from the Professional Ranks. Foley wants somebody very, very soon.

Here's the second rumor:

You may be shocked by this, as I was, but, don't be shocked if Petrino is our next coach. He has a pretty powerful supporter or two. I couldn't believe it. How could they even consider him? Stoops is lobbying for the job, too. I don't think that surprises you.

UPDATE:

- A call has been made to Chip Kelly's agent as he is the only candidate out there who may disrupt the Stoops eventuality.

- Barring from a stunner from Kelly, Stoops is the guy. Foley first contacted him after the Mizzou loss to gauge interest. At that time, Stoops and/or his reps made it known the interest was mutual.

- If the money works out (it will) Stoops will named the coach well before the bowl game.

- The really intriguing part is that Spurrier is aware that all of this going down, which explains his reactions after the game Saturday. As you know, Spurrier and Stoops are tight and Stoops surely spoke with Spurrier over the last few weeks.

- Moreover on Spurrier, he is planning to retire after the season and wants to be involved at UF in a mentor role, or certainly a support role for Stoops, Foley, etc. NOT a coaching role. Spurrier loves UF as much as you and me and is ready to see us back on top.

- Also, and this keeps coming up, but there's something cooking with Chizik, certainly not as head coach but an assistant. I've seen his name several times as being mentioned as part of a possible Stoops staff. T Rob and Lawing also likely retained.

- While Treon was a nice story and a lifeline for Muschamp for a few weeks, and while Treon still has a future at UF as a skill player, Stoops is keenly aware already that Will Grier is the future at QB.

NEW UPDATE:

Jimmy Sexton (Bob Stoops agent) and almost every college coach's agent has not been called. Period. So it looks like it is not a college guy at all.

Foley has actually talked to both Kelly and Harbaugh.

Bob Stoops is actually saying that Foley HAS his man. Which leads me to believe that it is a pro guy.

Bob Stoops has not and will not be offered. Period. All energy used to follow the Bob Stoops trail is a waste of energy.

NEW NEW UPDATE - It's source wars! :lol:

Well first of all, your last source indicated that Jimmy Sexton is Bob Stoops' agent and has not been contacted. I believe that Sexton has not been contacted because he is not Stoops' agent. It is Neil Conrich who HAS been contacted. The coach that I told you had been reached out to after the Missouri game was indeed Bob Stoops. It's not a lock as you know nothing in coaching ever is. But it is not a long shot either.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
In before it's gets bloated again! How many more of these do we have before a coach gets hired? We are at part 6.. I think this will be the last one and we will have a coach soon.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
OnlyGators.com has learned that a private jet, which is believed to be owned by a Florida booster and used by the University Athletic Association, took off from Gainesville Regional Airport (Gainesville, Florida) at 12:16 p.m. EST and is en route to the Joplin Regional Airport (Joplin, Missouri). The next destination on its manifest is Fort Collins Regional Airport (Fort Collins, Colorado), which is in the home city of Colorado State University. Rams head coach Jim McElwain has been reported to be a top target of Gators athletic director Jeremy Foley. McElwain on Tuesday was named Mountain West Coach of the Year after leading CSU to a 10-2 regular-season record.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I already told you guys it's going to be Jim Tressel. The transitive property never lies.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n121836 said:
OnlyGators.com has learned that a private jet, which is believed to be owned by a Florida booster and used by the University Athletic Association, took off from Gainesville Regional Airport (Gainesville, Florida) at 12:16 p.m. EST and is en route to the Joplin Regional Airport (Joplin, Missouri). The next destination on its manifest is Fort Collins Regional Airport (Fort Collins, Colorado), which is in the home city of Colorado State University. Rams head coach Jim McElwain has been reported to be a top target of Gators athletic director Jeremy Foley. McElwain on Tuesday was named Mountain West Coach of the Year after leading CSU to a 10-2 regular-season record.

Interesting

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

That's some information we can really sink our teeth into.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n121837 said:
I already told you guys it's going to be Jim Tressel. The transitive property never lies.

You have getting married brain, you aren't thinking straight.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

So now we're tracking boosters' private jets? We really are getting desperate for news.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014

praise-him.gif

Damien83

Cucamonga Cracka Killa
Oct 22, 2014

I came to post same thing. Welcome to the Gatornation Coach McElwain!!

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n121837 said:
I already told you guys it's going to be Jim Tressel.

Never. Tressel just isn't Tressel without the vest. And we all know it's too damn hot in Gainesville to wear "The Tressel Vest".

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n121850 said:
Ugh. Let me guess. Foley is going to swear that this was his top choice.

I am sure he will but looking at McElwain's background he appears to have just as good an argument for being a good choice as all the other Tier 2 coaches to choose from.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I personally think this will take slightly longer than past searches. Foley will want to meet him in person and then think about it. He can't make a hire until he is certain, but I'm sure he wants McElwain to keep his options open until we make a decision. Hard to ask that if you aren't will to sit and talk to him face to face. I do expect us to know something by Wednesday of next week at the latest tho.

Phineus Maximus

Founding Member
Thread Killer
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Link?

https://www.onlygators.com/florida-gators-coaching-search-update-ticker/

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Alagator;n121855 said:
Never. Tressel just isn't Tressel without the vest. And we all know it's too damn hot in Gainesville to wear "The Tressel Vest".

He could wear one without a shirt underneath

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator