Spring ball: Spring Scrimmage on Saturday

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe we should try "32 Left" or "23 Right"... worked for us just fine in 8th and 9th Grade going 8-0-1 and 9-0-0 those two years. Hell, in 9th Grade, we even worked in a buncha bootlegs with Dan Enos as our QB. :dunno:
Jack Nicholson Yes GIF by The Taboo Group

PS: 32 would be right and 23 would be left and you wouldnt really need to say left or right because of the you know there is only one 2 hole or 3 hole. But maybe your coach was Australian and numbered the holes backwards.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Have we ever actually handed it off on a jet? I recall the 800 fake handoffs but can’t actually recall us running it even once .
Yeah, about 3 or 4 times a game. The rest of the time it is primarily used to ensure the 5 DBs can easily cover the other 2 receivers.

The funniest is when we fake the jet and then have the WR try to block the backside DE. Some pretty hilarious results, usually a flying receiver and a DE catching the Rb from the backside while the RB does the stutter step thing waiting for the outside zone to develop.

Because "analytics".

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Jack Nicholson Yes GIF by The Taboo Group

PS: 32 would be right and 23 would be left and you wouldnt really need to say left or right because of the you know there is only one 2 hole or 3 hole. But maybe your coach was Australian and numbered the holes backwards.
No… you’re over complicating it. We did left and right, almost impossible for us dumb linemen and even dumber backs to f up! First number was which back got the ball, second number was the hole off center, left was the hand you can make an “L” with, right was… right was… the other side! :lol:

I can still hear Mr. Haas yelling at Alan Bandula (9th Grader, OL) at half time when I was in 8th Grade: “Al, I don’t need you to beat the fuk outta the guy in FRONT of you! I need you to take that left or right stab step (picture Mr Haas with hands up taking stab steps) and beat the fuk outta him to the side!”

Last edited:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Have we ever actually handed it off on a jet? I recall the 800 fake handoffs but can’t actually recall us running it even once . I think my favorite that you listed is what I like to call a Billy Bob special . All receivers run 6 yard hitch routes on 3rd and 12.
And then we hand the ball off.

Yes, one of my favorites also.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Who's going to the spring game on the 13th? I plan to be there. Then baseball!

abefroman

Sausage King
Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2019
Yeah, about 3 or 4 times a game. The rest of the time it is primarily used to ensure the 5 DBs can easily cover the other 2 receivers.

The funniest is when we fake the jet and then have the WR try to block the backside DE. Some pretty hilarious results, usually a flying receiver and a DE catching the Rb from the backside while the RB does the stutter step thing waiting for the outside zone to develop.

Because "analytics".
Yup, phantom blocks on the jet in this era

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I could understand Prancely's position more if he had never played football or had a low IQ for the game. He's supposed to make plays and put himself in position to make the plays. It's intuitive.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I could understand Prancely's position more if he had never played football or had a low IQ for the game. He's supposed to make plays and put himself in position to make the plays. It's intuitive.
I get your point but if we novices are belittling Princely's abilities as an edge rusher then I'm sure his coaches were also wondering why he wasn't more effective. So for his coaches to simply abide by his inabilities vs leaning forward just a little and coaching him up on technique then it does shock me a little.
Just because someone SHOULD know something doesn't mean they DO. And when losses keep piling AND you're known as a detail oriented army of coaches then someone somewhere should have wondered, "is there something we're missing or more we could do?"

This is embarrassing IMO. Even now, I wonder if our coaching staff is aware that this perception is out there and if so, what are they doing better to prevent it from happening. Hopefully, that young NFL coach we hired is looking at this. But, I doubt it.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I get your point but if we novices are belittling Princely's abilities as an edge rusher then I'm sure his coaches were also wondering why he wasn't more effective. So for his coaches to simply abide by his inabilities vs leaning forward just a little and coaching him up on technique then it does shock me a little.
Just because someone SHOULD know something doesn't mean they DO. And when losses keep piling AND you're known as a detail oriented army of coaches then someone somewhere should have wondered, "is there something we're missing or more we could do?"

This is embarrassing IMO. Even now, I wonder if our coaching staff is aware that this perception is out there and if so, what are they doing better to prevent it from happening. Hopefully, that young NFL coach we hired is looking at this. But, I doubt it.
no worries. tater is detail oriented and self scouts every aspect of the program throughout the year. rest assured all these issues will be addressed and corrected, no doubt. I'd be very surprised to see back to back seasons with facepalm level offensive and defensive play calls, or a special teams unit that can't perform at a basic fundamental level.

wait, this is year 3 for tater?
forget everything i just said.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Have we ever actually handed it off on a jet? I recall the 800 fake handoffs but can’t actually recall us running it even once . I think my favorite that you listed is what I like to call a Billy Bob special . All receivers run 6 yard hitch routes on 3rd and 12.
The first 3rd down the last five games of 2022, were always a jet sweep. If Mrs Dougie knew it was happening, don't you think the other coaches knew it was happening.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
no worries. tater is detail oriented and self scouts every aspect of the program throughout the year. rest assured all these issues will be addressed and corrected, no doubt. I'd be very surprised to see back to back seasons with facepalm level offensive and defensive play calls, or a special teams unit that can't perform at a basic fundamental level.

wait, this is year 3 for tater?
forget everything i just said.
BN "self scouting"

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator