Spring ball: Spring Scrimmage on Saturday

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
The rosters look fairly evenly matched to me, so I’m predicting Blue wins 6-3. The difference will come from Orange missing one more FG attempt than Blue does.
Given the "game changer" coaches for the two teams this is likely correct. Fat boy Couch will be too busy stuffing his face with pasta and sauce to get the fg team lined up in time.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Not what it was when mullen was here
Really? Lord, I hope our roster has improved somewhat. Re offense, decent talent is enough if the playbook is solid. STs does not require all world talent, just training and coordination.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Could be considered a favorite from the class because he's a guy that clearly wanted to be at UF. Go Aaron, go Gators. Need two guys that can play the position well.

That whole DB group showed a lot of resolve. Both Denson and Jackson had the canes all over them until the final second. Dijon seemed a bit more of a convenience decision, which I’m still cool with. But the others were all Gator and stuck the whole time.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Looks to me that the blue team has better players overall.
Either Napier will call plays for both teams or Callaway will call the blue and Sale the orange. If the co-OCs are calling the plays, then this game just got more interesting imo. If the blue team scores a lot of points, then perhaps that will increase the pressure for Napier to give up play calling.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Either Napier will call plays for both teams or Callaway will call the blue and Sale the orange. If the co-OCs are calling the plays, then this game just got more interesting imo. If the blue team scores a lot of points, then perhaps that will increase the pressure for Napier to give up play calling.

We had a dozen or more devastating plays by STs last year and he didn’t make any fundamental changes there. For better or worse, this is what our team is. It will either work suddenly, or we will fail and he’s gone. But the notion that he’s going to change is probably as unlikely as anyone ever had, including WM.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We had a dozen or more devastating plays by STs last year and he didn’t make any fundamental changes there. For better or worse, this is what our team is. It will either work suddenly, or we will fail and he’s gone. But the notion that he’s going to change is probably as unlikely as anyone ever had, including WM.
I don't know why so many coaches struggle to learn from their mistakes. I always assumed inflated egos, and maybe that's it. Napier seemed more humble than that when he was hired, but I agree with you. He hasn't done anything for us to believe he's any different. He's mainly just been all talk so far, with the exception of recruiting efforts. The only thing hindering his recruiting is his win-loss record.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
we have one of these feel good improvement stories every year. last year it was our new hotshot DC, mr hambone jack off, that we "stole" from bama.

then the season starts.
First play of the season for the utes…. A 70 yard touchdown bomb from their 3rd string walk on welcoming the great hambino to big time college football with a dickslap for the ages .

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Not what it was when mullen was here
Post it. I don't pay 247 .

Edit: I guess it is free but not out yet.

2021 #7 talent. https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

Has dropped to #15 under Cajun Taggart in 2023. https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

What do you want to be the #15 recruiting class last year doesn't raise it back to top 10 in 2024?

Not what it was when Mullen was here, correct. It is worse though not quite as bad as Butterteeth. I know reality is painful for some.

Last edited:

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
I don't know why so many coaches struggle to learn from their mistakes. I always assumed inflated egos, and maybe that's it. Napier seemed more humble than that when he was hired, but I agree with you. He hasn't done anything for us to believe he's any different. He's mainly just been all talk so far, with the exception of recruiting efforts. The only thing hindering his recruiting is his win-loss record.
Because they get paid millions of dollars a year to coach a fuching game, of course most are egotistical shytbags.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Because they get paid millions of dollars a year to coach a fuching game, of course most are egotistical shytbags.
Im not sure this guy is egotistical. Most are.

I think this dude is exactly the moron he sounds like. He only knows what he learned as a lackey under Butterteeth at Bammer after being failed coordinator at Clemson.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

2021 #7 talent. https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

Has dropped to #15 under Cajun Taggart in 2023. https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

What do you want to be the #15 recruiting class last year doesn't raise it back to top 10 in 2024?

Not what it was when Mullen was here, correct. It is worse though not quite as bad as Butterteeth. I know reality is painful for some.
I’m not gonna say that it’s not rated high enough. Because it’s not.

But a lot of Mullen’s guys did not qualify.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

That is the actual roster, not just some average of classes of people who signed. It also may be why the 2024 one isnt out, with another portal window opening.

I do agree that there are some problems with it. For instance, if you are a 5 star player who fails at Penn State, Clemson or Miami then transfers to Douchebag, you should be rated again in the transfer portal as appropriate (likey 2 or 3 star depth) vs a player who does well in Sunbelt and transfers, maybe you are a 4 star now instead of 2 or 3. I THINK Ive seen a star rating in the transfer portal now, a new rating, as they always did with jucos.

However it is still a metric of TALENT. It doesn't mean deveoloped talent. That is up to the coaches, obviously, and neither Dbag nor Potato can make this 7-15 rated talent perform like top 20 talent.

The spin that old Slingblade is fixing the roster doesn't jibe with ANYONE's actual talent evals or with Vegas' predictions.

Last edited:

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
That is the actual roster, not just some average of classes of people who signed.

I do agree that there are some problems with it. For instance, if you are a 5 star player who fails at Penn State, Clemson or Miami then transfers to Douchebag, you should be rated again in the transfer portal as appropriate (likey 2 or 3 star depth) vs a player who does well in Sunbelt and transfers, maybe you are a 4 star now instead of 2 or 3. I THINK Ive seen a star rating in the transfer portal now, a new rating, as they always did with jucos.

However it is still a metric of TALENT. It doesn't mean deveoloped talent. That is up to the coaches.

The spin that old Slingblade is fixing the roster doesn't jibe with ANYONE's actual talent evals or with Vegas' predictions.
None the less, pretty good if recruiting season starts in December… of that cycle. Imagine if recruiting was year round?

Last edited:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Yeah that's the point I was making. I knew we dropped to around 15. I'd imagine we're a little lower this year.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

That's roster talent. Guys that are actually on the roster. Not recruiting rankings. And we've seen enough guys transfer and decomitt to kinda squash the "well mullen's guys never got in" argument. I mean, we've had more roster turnover than anyone these past few years.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
That's roster talent. Guys that are actually on the roster. Not recruiting rankings. And we've seen enough guys transfer and decomitt to kinda squash the "well mullen's guys never got in" argument. I mean, we've had more roster turnover than anyone these past few years.
We've lost way more under the current dildo than the last one.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
squash the "well mullen's guys never got in" argument.
Well, it is just as true now as it was then. His classes were full of people who knew couldn't qualify to flluff the numbers. His classes were REALLY mid teens also, just like Potato's classes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.