Beer chugging = five years of college

Best 10 years of my life!
:bart:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This is good news....

Florida DL coach Sal Sunseri wants Gators to be 4 deep up front, keep linemen fresh

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/florida-football-defensive-line-depth-sal-sunseri

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Expect to see a lot of rotation along the Florida defensive front this coming season, or at least that would be the ideal scenario for new Gators’ DL coach Sal Sunseri.

Sunseri already believes the unit’s strength is its depth, which he thinks will serve the group well in keeping fresh linemen in the game, but he wants to continue to increase that depth moving forward.

“I want it to be four deep. If we can get into four deep and we get some guys really going, the rotation will be pretty good,” Sunseri said after practice Wednesday. “You don’t have to play guys for more than eight or nine plays on a long drive. You keep them fresh. So, if that guy runs a 4.7 normally, well if he’s doing 60 plays he’s not going to run 4.7. So, we’re trying to make sure that everybody that’s on the defensive line is going to have a role. Hopefully, people are playing 30-35 plays, whether there’s three groups doing it or two groups.”

Florida does have some intriguing depth along the defensive line.

Senior CeCe Jefferson and junior Jachai Polite have been getting work in the hybrid defensive end/pass-rushing outside linebacker role, with redshirt sophomore Jeremiah Moon also looking good in his transition from linebacker to more of a pass-rushing role. Meanwhile, the Gators also have redshirt junior Jabari Zuniga, redshirt freshman Zachary Carter and junior Antonneous Clayton at defensive end.

Redshirt senior Khairi Clark brings experience to the middle of the line, while sophomore Elijah Conliffe is pushing for playing time at that nose position. Sunseri said Clark has gotten quicker while slimming down a little, while noting that Conliffe has been a “pleasant surprise” and is putting in extra time on his own to help his progression.

And then redshirt junior Luke Ancrum, sophomore T.J. Slaton and junior Marlon Dunlap (a transfer from North Carolina) are working at defensive tackle. Sunseri wants Slaton, who is listed at 6-foot-4, 358 pounds, to become more consistent in using his hands, but he sees “some great intangibles that you just want to bottle and say we need it every play.”

Sunseri thinks a 10-12-player rotation along the defensive line is doable for this team.

“I think they’re working extremely hard. I think what they’re doing is trying to get better on their techniques and understand the system that we’re trying to put in,” Sunseri said. “… Of course there’s always a learning curve when you’re coming in here with Coach [Todd] Grantham’s system — who has had success everywhere he’s been. Now, what they’re doing is they’re learning different spots and different calls and different alignments. They’re definitely learning different techniques from what they did in the past. We’re in the process right now of getting better with our hands and our feet and being quicker, faster, stronger and more gap integrity.”

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I really wish the UAA would put out an updated roster. These articles keep saying, "...he's listed at 6'2 254." (or whatever) but the roster is a year old....and last year's roster was very questionable w/ proper updates (I suspect a drunk intern). The previous article has Slaton's weight....from last year. This ain't the NFL, not sure why they're being cute w/ updating the roster.

Florida coaches want more consistency along with the flash plays from former top recruit Antonneous Clayton

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/florida-gators-football-antonneous-clayton-consistency-potential

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — For a player who has tallied 10 total tackles and 1 sack through two seasons off the bench at Florida, fans remain intensely interested in junior defensive end Antonneous Clayton.

That’s the power of recruiting rankings.

Clayton was ranked the No. 27 overall recruit in the country in the Class of 2016 and was the Gators’ highest-rated recruit in that class, according to the 247Sports composite.

But that is of no interest to new Florida defensive line coach Sal Sunseri, as he makes a fresh evaluation of Clayton and determines how he can help the Gators in 2018.

“I really don’t know what type of recruit he was and I really don’t care. I look at when he comes out here and how he aligns and how he attacks practice and how he gets off on the football and how he takes on blocks,” Sunseri said Wednesday after practice. “Every defensive lineman has to be great on getting off the ball, block protection and getting to the quarterback. If he can do that consistently it really don’t matter how many stars a guy’s got.”

Noting Clayton’s limited production/playing time the last two seasons is not to suggest he can’t still be a real contributor for Florida. It’s merely to note that Clayton’s recruiting profile doesn’t impact the coaches’ perception in the way it does for fans.

Same as it was with the old staff, which recruited him.

Clayton, listed at 6-foot-2, 254 pounds, remains a very intriguing athlete who showed some flashes of his potential in Florida’s first spring scrimmage on Friday. Thomas Goldkamp of 247Sports credited him with 2.5 sacks in the session.

And after working mostly with the third-team defense in the portions of practice open to reporters this spring, he got some work with the 2s in the scrimmage.

But along with the flash plays, the coaches want to see more consistency from Clayton if he is to really climb the depth chart.

“I thought he did a good job. What I loved is that he played really hard,” head coach Dan Mullen said. “But he’s got to learn to play harder the right way. You know, he made some ‘play hard’ really good plays and some ‘play hard’ really bad … plays because he just kind of recklessly got himself out of position and out of control and regularly gave up some really big plays. There’s give and take. …

“[But] I would say, ‘You just keep going hard, don’t slow down.’ Now just learn to go hard the right way all the time and not out of control sometimes.”

That’s in line with Sunseri’s assessment as well.

“Antonneous has done a nice job. He’s showed some very good quickness. He’s shown some playmaking ability. He has to get more consistent with his assignments, but he’s done some very good things,” Sunseri said.

Sunseri added that Clayton isn’t the only one that fits that description. That’s part of the process this entire team is working through as it adapts to new schemes on both sides of the ball.

“Most of the kids coming in really are used to just, ‘OK, I’m going to do this, go make a play.’ They’re not worried about their gap integrity or where they’re supposed to be aligned,” Sunseri said. “Right now what we’re asking them to do is, No. 1, know your gap alignment, know your assignment and know your key. Taking it through that progression right there should be every single call we make.”

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Ryan Young seems to be the new Bowl. His writing style, laced with his own opinions (For a player who has tallied 10 total tackles and 1 sack through two seasons off the bench at Florida) is similar and yet totally devoid of any football analytical ability.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Ryan Young seems to be the new Bowl. His writing style, laced with his own opinions (For a player who has tallied 10 total tackles and 1 sack through two seasons off the bench at Florida) is similar and yet totally devoid of any football analytical ability.

Yeah, there's no sugar coating it....Clayton (so far) is a bust (for being an alleged 5-star).

Hey Ryan!!! Just say it!! SAY IT!!!!!! HE'S A BUST!!!!

Hopefully he gets a fire lit under his ass and has a breakout year....I'm not going to hold my breath.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Did this guy write his article drunk? After only 6-8 practices, I'm supposed to be concerned about Emory Jones? :headslap:

http://gridironnow.com/emory-jones-invisible-spring-reason-for-concern-for-gators/2/

Jones obviously has yet to make much of an impact – even as a runner.

They have spoken about his athleticism. He's every bit as impressive as his tape suggests.

Mullen could be taking his time with Jones, but that doesn’t make much sense. He recruited Jones from scratch and signed him away from Ohio State, Alabama and Florida State.

This sentence tells me he didn't do a bit of research. He just sat down and wrote this garbage in 5 minutes. At MSU, he brought QBs along slowly. Relf was probably better than Tyson Lee yet Lee still started. In the recent episode of Gators breakdown, Sikes argued EJ might redshirt based on Mullen's history at MSU.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
th

.... We here, at County General stand behind our enemas. -- Doctor poses.

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
New episode of Gators Breakdown. Sikes mentions Buchanan unseating McCoy at center due to poor play as well as Bleich and Banks getting reps with the ones. Sikes isn't kind to the o-line.

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
And after working mostly with the third-team defense in the portions of practice open to reporters this spring, he got some work with the 2s in the scrimmage.

But along with the flash plays, the coaches want to see more consistency from Clayton if he is to really climb the depth chart.

Sikes mentioned that, of the teams documented sacks in the first week and a half of practice, Clayton has almost half of them yet was still running 3rd team. He thinks Mullen is using the depth chart to motivate certain guys like Meyer does. It makes sense as Ancrum isn't playing come the season unless we are ravaged by injuries.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Don't you just love the unexpected? I know I do.

At some point we have to come to grips with the idea that Trask may be the man. We've always known he had the raw ability. Twenty-four months in training may have put him in position to earn the job.

Then again, he's competing against a guy who hasn't shown me he's ready to lead. This could turn out to be a win by default.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
New episode of Gators Breakdown. Sikes mentions Buchanan unseating McCoy at center due to poor play as well as Bleich and Banks getting reps with the ones. Sikes isn't kind to the o-line.

That's great news. I like McCoy, but he's made no improvements since he first stepped on the field. Kid needs someone to push him. Law is going to love hearing Buchanan is making a move!! :D

If the JUCO kid gets in the line-up I'll be impressed. I'm glad they're experimenting w/ changes. This was discussed earlier, but the 'starters' seem to think they're a lock. They need attitude adjustments badly. Looks like they might be getting that....

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Loved Sunseri’s comments on gap integrity...lol...that would sum up last year.

Go Gators! Great things are coming our way . Woo Woo

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, there's no sugar coating it....Clayton (so far) is a bust (for being an alleged 5-star).

Hey Ryan!!! Just say it!! SAY IT!!!!!! HE'S A BUST!!!!

Hopefully he gets a fire lit under his ass and has a breakout year....I'm not going to hold my breath.

Kind of disagree and think he will have a breakout season now that he is up to 270+ it appears. He looked decent when he actually got to play a little and he was giving Taylor fits in the 2017 spring game. I think it was just a case of him being 254 lbs last year and having upperclassmen in front of him.

Have they gave a weight for him lately?

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Kind of disagree and think he will have a breakout season now that he is up to 270+ it appears. He looked decent when he actually got to play a little and he was giving Taylor fits in the 2017 spring game. I think it was just a case of him being 254 lbs and having upperclassmen in front of him.

Have they gave a weight for him lately?

Well, sure, he could have a 'break out' year as a 3rd year Junior. But a 5-star is essentially like an NFL 1st rounder. You expect they will contribute immediately. I could see a 5-star QB not contributing immediately if there's a returning starter. However, at DE, where there's a rotation of 5, 6, or more players? He hasn't done a damn thing. That's just being honest. I hope he does break out this season....but so far, as a 5-star? No, he's been a bust. That's calling a spade a spade.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well, sure, he could have a 'break out' year as a 3rd year Junior. But a 5-star is essentially like an NFL 1st rounder. You expect they will contribute immediately. I could see a 5-star QB not contributing immediately if there's a returning starter. However, at DE, where there's a rotation of 5, 6, or more players? He hasn't done a damn thing. That's just being honest. I hope he does break out this season....but so far, as a 5-star? No, he's been a bust. That's calling a spade a spade.

I just saw him the few times he got in there and he was getting after the QB pretty good. I think his weight may have kept him off the field some but he looks like he has definitely bulked up now so this year we will know for sure what he is. I think he will be the biggest breakout player of the whole team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.