Spurrier notices major change at South Carolina

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Muschamp is implementing the Saban approach to support staff at SC (that Spurrier didn't do). Notice he hired VH3's sister:

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Steve-Spurrier-notes-at-least-one-major-change-at-South-Carolina

There’s at least one major change Steve Spurrier has noticed in the Will Muschamp era at South Carolina: More people around the office.

A look at the staff directory shows seven analysts, a director of player personnel, a director of on-campus recruiting, a director of high school relations and more. Muschamp also is expanding a student life part of the program. Support staffs are the new arms race in college football, and Spurrier knows it.

“Nick Saban started the idea of hiring so many office people,” Spurrier said on SiriusXM College Sports Nation. “I don’t know how many they’ve got, but I know at South Carolina, we’ve got about 12 more than when I was there, in one year. That’s the way it is in recruiting. It’s more year-round football than it was several years ago.”

Muschamp is also taking part in a few satellite camps this month. A period that used to be time off for coaches is no longer the case. Spurrier says relaxing in the summer helped him coach into his 70s.

Michigan’s staff has nearly 40 camps this month. Jim Harbaugh has said you have to be able to handle that if you want to coach with him. When Spurrier decided to get out of coaching, the intensity of the recruiting game was a major factor.

“I think it really gave me some longevity, getting away from it during the summer,” Spurrier said. “I only played golf about four months a year, and then I was tired of golf, and you’re ready to jump into football right there at the end of July. That’s the way I did it. I think you can burn out if you do 11 months of football.” 2016%20South%20Carolina%20staffers.png

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Lots of extra people that Mushchump won't listen too.
... and can you imagine playing golf with vein-popping Mushchump ?

ppinesgator

Founding Member
aka "Biggums"
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
When Saban coached the Miami Dolphins,he had about 25 or so coaches. So around one coach for every two players.

It did not pay off.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
When Saban coached the Miami Dolphins,he had about 25 or so coaches. So around one coach for every two players.

It did not pay off.

Every NFL team has similar staff. Guarantee you if Saban had stayed at Miami he would have had success. That's all the guy knows.

Saban has completely changed how CFB staffs operate. Before Saban came to Bama, an assistant coach held the collateral duty of "recruiting coordinator". Now, most P5 schools have 3 or more non-coaches/support staff, that coordinate recruiting. You can also thank him for the ridiculous rise in assistant coaches salaries. In 2005, Dan Mullen made $140k as our Offensive Coordinator. We're paying some of our support staff that salary now!

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Associated Press

GAINESVILLE, Fla. - Florida paid big for new coach Urban Meyer - and his assistants.

The Gators will spend nearly $1.3 million in salary on Meyer's coaching staff this year, according to contracts released by the school Monday.

Co-defensive coordinators Charlie Strong and Greg Mattison each will earn $180,000 in 2005. Associate head coach Doc Holliday, who also coaches the safeties, will make $165,000. Holliday also received a $25,000 retention bonus after Marshall showed interest in him replacing coach Bob Pruett this spring. Holliday will get another $15,000 bonus if he remains on staff next August.

Holliday's contract is the only two-year deal. The others expire in January.

Offensive coordinator Dan Mullen will get $140,000. Recruiting coordinator and cornerbacks coach Chuck Heater and offensive line coach John Hevesy will earn $130,000 apiece. Tight ends coach Steve Addazio will make $120,000. Running backs coach Stan Drayton and receivers coach Bill Gonzales are at $110,000 each.

The assistants also receive a company car and $10,000 for the school's apparel contract with Nike.

Meyer signed a seven-year, $14 million contract to coach the Gators after turning around programs at Utah (2003-04) and Bowling Green (2001-02).

Meyer's base salary was $440,000 last year with the Utes.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Every NFL team has similar staff. Guarantee you if Saban had stayed at Miami he would have had success. That's all the guy knows.

No, he wouldn't have. His troubles in Miami are well documented. That locker room was literally in revolt.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
No, he wouldn't have. His troubles in Miami are well documented. That locker room was literally in revolt.

You keep on thinking that. The guy is the best college coach since Bryant (if not ever)....and he learned from the best NFL coach, probably ever (Bilichek). He'd have figured it out. Or you can stubbornly think he would have just rolled over and failed....which is very much like Saban, isn't it? (please note the sarcasm)

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
if Saban had stayed in the NFL, he might not have made it in Miami, but he would've been successful somewhere.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I have to disagree, I don't think saban would have been successful in the nfl. He's an iron-fist coach, those seldom work in todays game. Its all about the players and their "personalities." Its possible, ala bellicheck (about the only successful iron fist type left) that he could do it, but I'd say the odds wouldn't be stacked in his favor. Guys like Carroll do well nowadays because they are great X's and O's guys, really good motivators and understand the cerebral aspect, but they also let their players have fun and be themselves, even if that means putting up with a bunch of drama queens or worse, complete a-holes (and believe me, seattle has plenty of each). Can you imagine saban trying to deal with Sherman and lynch? Puuuhlllease... but that's what it takes b/c its all about the players in the NFL.

Also, quite possibly, his greatest characteristic in the college game (out recruiting everyone every year) would be completely nullified. Matter of fact, the exact opposite would happen from year to year. Instead of him feasting on the wealth due to success, if he had any success, he would go down in the draft.

ppinesgator

Founding Member
aka "Biggums"
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member

Saban has completely changed how CFB staffs operate. Before Saban came to Bama, an assistant coach held the collateral duty of "recruiting coordinator". Now, most P5 schools have 3 or more non-coaches/support staff, that coordinate recruiting. You can also thank him for the ridiculous rise in assistant coaches salaries. In 2005, Dan Mullen made $140k as our Offensive Coordinator. We're paying some of our support staff that salary now!

Agreed that at this point, all NFL teams have similiar sized staff

I'll take your word that all NFL teams have that size of a staff. Apparently he led the way. At the time having three coaches reviewing films was considered excessive. Wouldn't surprise me it is the norm now.

ppinesgator

Founding Member
aka "Biggums"
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member

If you are ever in South Florida, tune into WQAM AM in the afternoon and listen to Channing Crowder talk about Saban's time in Miami. Hilarious stuff.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You keep on thinking that. The guy is the best college coach since Bryant (if not ever)....and he learned from the best NFL coach, probably ever (Bilichek). He'd have figured it out. Or you can stubbornly think he would have just rolled over and failed....which is very much like Saban, isn't it? (please note the sarcasm)

The difference is personalities.... Saban's personality isn't suited for the NFL. Saban through the top 1 or 2 coaches in the modern (BCS/Playoff) era had an issue dealing with the personalities of the NFL player. Belichek is more like Parcells than Saban is, and understands how to handle different personalities and moves them forward to the same goal. The parts where they are the same cutting a guy too early than two late would be successful, but his other handling of personalities would be his downfall in the NFL (dealing with grown men instead of students). Saban is a different form of micro manager than Belichek is which is why he why he has issues with the NFL player.

If you look at that 1993 (?) Cleveland Browns staff, how many different coaches and GM learned under Belichek.

Last edited:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The difference is personalities.... Saban's personality is much better suited for the NFL. Saban through the top 1 or 2 coaches in the modern (BCS/Playoff) era had an issue dealing with the personalities of the NFL player. Belichek is more like Parcells than Saban is, and understands how to handle different personalities and moves them forward to the same goal. The parts where they are the same cutting a guy too early than two late would be successful, but his other handling of personalities would be his downfall in the NFL where he is dealing with grown men. Saban is a different form of micro manager than Belichek is which is why he why he has issues with the NFL player.

If you look at that 1993 (?) Cleveland Browns staff, how many different coaches and GM learned under Belichek.

This is confusing as hell.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Part of me thinks that Saban would have eventually been a good NFL coach. He had problems early on, but he's a smart guy and would have adjusted. There's no way to know for sure.

What I do know is that Muschamp sucks.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
08shrink.600c.ready.jpg

All they needed to hire was a psychiatrist.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Well, over at CockyTalk, they are comparing Duncechump to Lombardi. It is going to be fun to watch them turn back into full irrelevancy, but sad to see SOS's hard work shot to hell in two years, if that.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So, Mushchimp is bringing Ellis Johnson, the architect of Awbarn's last ranked defense, and several other piss poor defenses, and a bunch of interns?

And this is supposed to scare the rest of the SEC?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Not so sure about that with regards to Saban succeeding in the NFL. If you don't have the QB in the NFL you aren't winning it all most likely. The NFL gives a reality check to these top notch college coaches usually if they don't have the QB to get the job done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator