Spurrier speaks out on the play calling

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Mertz deserves some of the blame

Find the 2/3 fastest MOFO's (not sure if that's Wilson, Jean, or Mizell) Line them up and run them deep.

It indicates to me a very low level of trust.
Look at the pre-season film and Mertz's long throws to date. To me, this is the one legit excuse Napier has. Mertz does not throw it well downfield, period. He constantly is off target, runs the WR into a bad spot, and underthrows if more than 30 yards downfield.

But, again, he's not playing Brown just like he isn't changing play callers.

Yes Billy was successful at ULL
Napier scored 28 or less in 8 of his games his championship season. He lost one by double digits. Every one of the 7 wins was by one score. That is not statistically repeatable. He thinks it is and that his 2021 season was offensively successful because the end result was success. It was not. I could give up a sack, but they hit my QB in the head, I get a personal foul, FG range, win a game. It doesn't make the play I called a success because of luck. He doesn't see that and constantly refers to his prior methods being successful. From an offensive success perspective, he is simply wrong.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
We were told in another thread by a former D1 player that we don’t know what we’re talking about because we never played ourselves. UF can’t throw deep because the defenses are running a Cover-2
The irony of a former Spurrier Wr saying this is pretty astounding. It was Cover-2 that Spurrier ate for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Shoot, Mills concept is explicitly named after him to beat Cover-2. He also realized the enormous spaced on the fields in the mid-range of the field, and others mimicked it, created what became the Tampa 2 and required elite speed LBs.

Also, with respect to the guy who did it on the field, I also think he is flat wrong. It looks to me that we face Cover-3 a far larger % of the time than we see Cover-2. Now, Cover-3 would make his argument more about throwing deep, but also creates more true mid-range passing concepts and can still be beat by a Mullen favorite of 4 verts. We just don't ever have 4 wide and sorry, but Odom and Hansen not scaring anyone on a vert.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
That said, you can't put all the blame on Napier.
YES. YOU. CAN.
Yes, Napier's system has a lot of dink-and-dunk to it, but Mertz deserves some of the blame for the choices he makes.
Who brought in Mertz? Who took a hard pass at every other portal QB? Mertz is who we thought he was. And for that matter, so is Billy boy.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
People talk about ...
Nearly all of this right here (I'm not as in awe of Mullen the play-caller, offensive designer as others - I think he's very good, but not elite), with the caveat that a QB like AR or Tebow change the number counting depending on down and distance.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I swear by it. It's already doubled my IQ to 100.
Terry Crews GIF by Idiocracy

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
1696484441475.jpeg
Vandy and Kentucky are so below UF, SOS did not even have jokes about them. Now we worry about losing 4 in a row to them. FFS.

But doing so while playing cautious?
A2EA613F-9D0E-4D1D-BE93-180EC62FA34C.jpeg

If you listen, however, to Steve (ideally give Max a try) and sling it though:

DB365B4C-58CD-4F6B-B642-63C557A0784D.gif

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
View attachment 62592
Vandy and Kentucky are so below UF, SOS did not even have jokes about them. Now we worry about losing 4 in a row to them. FFS.

But doing so while playing cautious?
View attachment 62593

If you listen, however, to Steve (ideally give Max a try) and sling it though:

View attachment 62594

You couldn't dial up two more opposite coaching personalities than Steve Spurrier and Billy Napier. We fell immediately in love with the former. We don't know what to do with the latter.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
He isn’t good enough yet. Huge accuracy issues.
Brown? How would we know. The spring clips looked better than the other options. Far better. Maybe he is not, I certainly don’t actually know. But I do know the offence is nearly non-functional with Mertz unless a Defense plays us like Tennessee. We are averaging less than 16 points a game against other FPS opponents. Can accuracy concerns make it that much worse?

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Once Napier is fired, we can hire Kiffin since so many on the board have their lips planted in between his cheeks.

Someone here made a comment about Gator fans motorboating Kiffin's butt cheeks while our cheeks were getting clapped.

I have had nightmares about this visual since then, but he can win 10 games a year.................

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Brown? How would we know. The spring clips looked better than the other options. Far better. Maybe he is not, I certainly don’t actually know. But I do know the offence is nearly non-functional with Mertz unless a Defense plays us like Tennessee. We are averaging less than 16 points a game against other FPS opponents. Can accuracy concerns make it that much worse?
A lot of insider reports say he’s been inaccurate in Camp. Like incredibly inaccurate.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
A lot of insider reports say he’s been inaccurate in Camp. Like incredibly inaccurate.

Well, one thing is certain. His going into year 3 with exactly one series under his belt against McNeese(barring injuries) is about as poorly planned as is possible. Just mind numbing.

I’ve been a big supporter of Mertz and don’t think he’s our biggest problem. That said, I’m not sure we have a lot to lose here. Brown looked the best of all three in the Spring, and played well against McNeese St. Yes, he’ll throw a screen too high or misfire elsewhere at times, maybe even throw a pick. But I also feel like he’ll make throws that GM cannot. So while he’d have maybe had two INTs Saturday compared to one, what if he hits Douglas on the second series? Or hits RP in the end zone against Utah. Those games may just end differently. But even if not, a loss is a loss, regardless of how it comes. But at least we won’t know for a certainty that it’s over if we’re down 2 scores in the 4th. We’ve seen enough to know that as flawed as AR was, he also made some plays that kept us in things as well. We don’t have that right now. So to echo our now banned legal expert, throwing bad passes is ok. DW threw picks. But he also threw TDs. This terrified money, can’t turn it over approach isn’t working.

I’ll just say if things go blah against Vu early on, it needs to be considered. If nothing else, I can tell you the what the guy mentioned in this thread title would do.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.