Tabor's stock falling....

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No way he falls to the third round.

Bad workouts, is a red flag. This is a deep draft at DB and DL. If any other red flags come up, I could see it happening. Right now he is a borderline bottom half of the first round / top half of the second round. All it takes is something else, in a draft as deep as this one at DB for him to fall. Still a month way from the draft we have seen it happen before, so I wouldn't say "no way he falls".

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've always thought he was lazy...

He doesn't care about the 40 time, he thinks he has already proven he can play.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

WEAKNESSES
Whispers in scouting circles that Tabor fears deep speed. Often played excessively deep off-coverage. Shows balance issues in space. Occasionally loses footing in coverage during his transition. Shows willingness to sit on routes and grab receivers trying to go vertical rather than flipping hips to chase. Can be undisciplined from zone losing track of his responsibilities. Appears to be hit or miss with instinctive playmaking. Doesn't play to his listed size. Finesse cornerback. Avoids mixing it up with physical receivers away from the ball. Too many weak tackle attempts. Charted with 13 missed tackles in 2015. Scouts consider him to be a high-maintenance prospect. Has been suspended due to drug tests and a run-in with a teammate in practice.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
"
eaknesses
Whispers in scouting circles that Tabor fears deep speed. Often played excessively deep off-coverage. Shows balance issues in space. Occasionally loses footing in coverage during his transition. Shows willingness to sit on routes and grab receivers trying to go vertical rather than flipping hips to chase. Can be undisciplined from zone losing track of his responsibilities. Appears to be hit or miss with instinctive playmaking. Doesn't play to his listed size. Finesse cornerback. Avoids mixing it up with physical receivers away from the ball. Too many weak tackle attempts. Charted with 13 missed tackles in 2015. Scouts consider him to be a high-maintenance prospect. Has been suspended due to drug tests and a run-in with a teammate in practice.
Sources Tell Us
"With Vernon (Hargreaves) there last year he played with a lot more confidence. I don't think he's a lockdown cornerback. He's a good football player and can cover in our league, but he's also going to be a pain in the ass for whoever takes him." -- AFC Southest area scout
NFL Comparison
Darius Slay
Bottom Line
Tabor has terrific size and quickness, but it will be interesting to see how he times in the forty. While he has some lapses in judgement and awareness in coverage, his nine career interceptions didn't happen by accident. He is a pure cover corner with the ability to pattern match around the field, but don't expect him to be a plus tackler in run support. He has the traits of a first-round cornerback, but some teams may be put off by some of his annoyances."

No way he goes in the first round

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So is this another addition by subtraction situation?:dunno:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Great college player that may struggle in the NFL. Happens all the time. I remember him playing off guys a lot. That won't work in the NFL at all. I wish him the best and I hope it works out for him.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Yet he will still make way more than most and do a job that he loves doing. Seems pretty good to me, but then money is not everything not even close for me.

Of course he will....and that is totally not the point. The point is, last year at this time he was a 1st round lock - sure thing, can't miss (look at any mock draft from any site/service). Now he's possibly a 3rd rounder. Sure, he'll make a ton of money....but w/ a 4.7 40 time he may not be fast enough to hang around the NFL very long and he'll have his signing bonus money to live on.....and 1st round money goes a lot farther than 2nd or 3rd round money (especially for a kid who wants to go by "Teez", post non-stop on twitter, and act like he's the next Darrel Revis). I wish him well, but facts are facts. I hope he hires the best financial adviser he can find.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If he isn't capable of running faster than a 4.6+ he wont last in the NFL long as a starting CB. Heck you hear them say a CB is on the slow side when they aren't in the high 4.4s at least. It wouldn't shock me if quite a few CBs go before him now with a chance that Wilson might himself despite not being a speed demon either.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Of course he will....and that is totally not the point. The point is, last year at this time he was a 1st round lock - sure thing, can't miss (look at any mock draft from any site/service). Now he's possibly a 3rd rounder. Sure, he'll make a ton of money....but w/ a 4.7 40 time he may not be fast enough to hang around the NFL very long and he'll have his signing bonus money to live on.....and 1st round money goes a lot farther than 2nd or 3rd round money (especially for a kid who wants to go by "Teez", post non-stop on twitter, and act like he's the next Darrel Revis). I wish him well, but facts are facts. I hope he hires the best financial adviser he can find.

Of course it is not your point, you apparently think that money is very important. So what might he make and for how long? A brief review suggests 400k per year as the minimum, and say five years.

so he makes 2mill, pays say 600K in taxes, and say 500K in expenses over those five years. So he has 900k invested and if he is smart has some opportunities too boot. Retired with plenty of money unless he is foolish. And he does not need the best financial adviser, but rather the best advice to avoid getting ripped off and spending way too much. An index fund would work.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Of course it is not your point, you apparently think that money is very important. So what might he make and for how long? A brief review suggests 400k per year as the minimum, and say five years.

so he makes 2mill, pays say 600K in taxes, and say 500K in expenses over those five years. So he has 900k invested and if he is smart has some opportunities too boot. Retired with plenty of money unless he is foolish. And he does not need the best financial adviser, but rather the best advice to avoid getting ripped off and spending way too much. An index fund would work.

That's good math Chief....and a lot of assumptions. I personally don't "think money is very important"....but he does. That's why he left school early. That's why he bet a buddy of his who would get drafted higher.....and it is a big factor in where a player is signed. He has a 1st round mouth (and twitter) though.

I'm going to assume also:

-If he indeed runs a 4.7, he gets selected late 2nd or early 3rd round. He gets a nice signing bonus of around $850K (he keeps just over half of this w/ taxes and agent fees) - losing more than $1 million in bonus money by dropping that far. He makes the league average for his year group, which is great money. But it's only for a couple/3 or so years....due to his lack of speed (4.7 40...that's not an assumption, that's what he ran).

- He buys a $75K (or more) vehicle (or two), along w/ an $8,000 watch, $50K in other jewelry, pays his buddy who he bet he'd get drafted higher, hooks up his homeboys, maybe even does something nice for his family. He rents a sweet pad in whatever city he ends up in - on the high end, of course. Fills it w/ over priced items.....oh, and he ignores the advice of the financial advisor the NFL team recommends to him.

-If he indeed runs a 4.7, he washes out by the end of his 2nd year.....he may get picked up for a 3rd year somewhere on a flyer.

-If he washes out somewhere in his 3rd year....he goes broke within 2 years (5 years from now).

(these are just assumptions....but I wish him well and hope he is faster than his 2 NFL tryouts and I hope he lasts longer, becomes an All-Pro....and doesn't go broke somewhere along the line....)

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
That's good math Chief....and a lot of assumptions. I personally don't "think money is very important"....but he does. That's why he left school early. That's why he bet a buddy of his who would get drafted higher.....and it is a big factor in where a player is signed. He has a 1st round mouth (and twitter) though.

I'm going to assume also:

-If he indeed runs a 4.7, he gets selected late 2nd or early 3rd round. He gets a nice signing bonus of around $850K (he keeps just over half of this w/ taxes and agent fees) - losing more than $1 million in bonus money by dropping that far. He makes the league average for his year group, which is great money. But it's only for a couple/3 or so years....due to his lack of speed (4.7 40...that's not an assumption, that's what he ran).

- He buys a $75K (or more) vehicle (or two), along w/ an $8,000 watch, $50K in other jewelry, pays his buddy who he bet he'd get drafted higher, hooks up his homeboys, maybe even does something nice for his family. He rents a sweet pad in whatever city he ends up in - on the high end, of course. Fills it w/ over priced items.....oh, and he ignores the advice of the financial advisor the NFL team recommends to him.

-If he indeed runs a 4.7, he washes out by the end of his 2nd year.....he may get picked up for a 3rd year somewhere on a flyer.

-If he washes out somewhere in his 3rd year....he goes broke within 2 years (5 years from now).

(these are just assumptions....but I wish him well and hope he is faster than his 2 NFL tryouts and I hope he lasts longer, becomes an All-Pro....and doesn't go broke somewhere along the line....)

Perhaps he can be educated, lots of good examples out there, and of course a vast number of bad ones. Now he could take drugs, assault a female and go to jail. And of course he can work at something else.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Perhaps he can be educated, lots of good examples out there, and of course a vast number of bad ones. Now he could take drugs, assault a female and go to jail. And of course he can work at something else.

Well, let's hope he takes the right road!! :D

Seriously, he's always concerned me because of his mouth, attitude, and twitter BS. Now his draft stock is plummeting. Hopefully someone has a "come to Jesus" talk with him. The way the NFL is set up, contract #2 is where the "big" money is made (I know to us commoner's the money they make as rookies is ridiculous, but those 2nd contracts can be ultra-life changing). If he plays 4-5 years and gets cut or signs a 1-year FA deal, he likely isn't that good (as an NFL player). However, he still should walk away w/ a few million saved....and if he invests wisely, lands a decent job within a year or two after his playing days ends he could be set for life. If he becomes a star and signs the 2nd "big" contract, well this conversation is moot.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

What an arrogant mouth. I am sure that is what the NFL wants to hear out of him. I bet he isn't even in the league after 2 years and is never close to being a top notch NFL CB. I see now why he had those crazy holding calls a few times because he knew he was beat long if he got out of position early. I bet some of those quick NFL receivers expose him pretty quick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator