Taggart accuses VaTech of faking injuries

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
These buyouts make no sense for anyone, but the coach.

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
And the agents sense the AD’s desperation and act like four other schools are on hold to offer big contracts.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
These buyouts make no sense for anyone, but the coach.

Again, I guess I could see paying a buyout for someone really good. Was there any evidence that Taggart was the next Spurrier or Saban or Meyer at FSU? What I see happening is ADs in a panic often to save one recruiting class.

A single recruiting class is never more important than getting the right coach. The transition class is likely to be weak anyway.

There is also an over pay incentive to look to fans, the public and recruits that you think really highly of your new coach? Any sane person knows you never know about a new hire, even if UF hired Saban (who I think would be a terrible fit here) you can not know how it would turn out.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Willie Blackelwain comes out today accusing Va Tech of faking injuries to slow down the :nole: offense on the ACC conference call. My question to him would have been, what offense? When you lose 24-3 just STFU.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Willie Blackelwain comes out today accusing Va Tech of faking injuries to slow down the :nole: offense on the ACC conference call. My question to him would have been, what offense? When you lose 24-3 just STFU.

It's been a ploy for as long as I can remember in football, and certainly before the new wave of up-tempo began.

We've done some tempo stuff as well, and it's bound to slow us down at some point, even cost us a game. But it's pointless to whine about, and even worse to hear people's suggestions on policing it. With all the stuff going on between CTE, practice related deaths, etc., do you really think they're going to try and stop kids from professing to be injured and/or make them less inclined to come out of the game for a play.

Sorry. If going light speed is the only thing you have to win with, maybe coaching just isn't for you.

Tay Bang

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
It's been a ploy for as long as I can remember in football, and certainly before the new wave of up-tempo began.

We've done some tempo stuff as well, and it's bound to slow us down at some point, even cost us a game. But it's pointless to whine about, and even worse to hear people's suggestions on policing it. With all the stuff going on between CTE, practice related deaths, etc., do you really think they're going to try and stop kids from professing to be injured and/or make them less inclined to come out of the game for a play.

Sorry. If going light speed is the only thing you have to win with, maybe coaching just isn't for you.

He said today he wants a rule against too many injuries. Good luck with that.

Tay Bang

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018

The heat and humidity were brutal Monday. Those Virginia boys may have been truly cramping up.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
Regarding buyouts, one reason they are so large is because the school and the AD want the ex-coach to keep his mouth shut.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
He said today he wants a rule against too many injuries. Good luck with that.

I've heard some suggesting that if you go down, you have to stay out for the quarter or half. As I said, the lawsuit exposure for kids staying in games when they should taken be out just to avoid having to sit out a quarter would be in the billions. A kid cramps up on the first drive and misses all of Q1?

There are stupid proposals all the time in sports. This may be the dumbest I've ever heard.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Taggart: Hokies faked injury to slow FSU down

Boy, this is a really bad strategy for a new coach who just got steamrolled as a heavy home favorite in his first game with his new school. Even if you really believe it happened you can't say it in public. It comes across as complete and total excuse making. Especially when the one time you were successful in going fast tempo it negated the chance for a replay review and cost you a possible touchdown.

Can't think of a worse media strategy than this one.

Not that I mind!

Tay Bang

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
“In fact, NC State coach Dave Doeren accused Florida State of the same thing in 2014, when Jimbo Fisher was the Seminoles' coach. Doeren later apologized.”

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Boy, this is a really bad strategy for a new coach who just got steamrolled as a heavy home favorite in his first game with his new school. Even if you really believe it happened you can't say it in public. It comes across as complete and total excuse making. Especially when the one time you were successful in going fast tempo it negated the chance for a replay review and cost you a possible touchdown.

Not that I mind!

"Well it is what it is, I guess it's part of football now," Taggart said. "That's all I can say."

Oh well, Willie. A .500 record would've been nice to reach, but I guess it's all over now.

Unreal that from your first game, after being crushed in all phases, you choose to go with this. As a grown man, you blame dozens of 18-20 year olds for "cheating". He sounds like a whining 7th grader.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I got my ass handed to me by VaTech at home opening weekend, with all eyes of the nation watching..... my excuse they were faking injury. It's a horrible look by Taggart.

Tay Bang

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
7920832.jpg

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Not that I mind!

They probably were but I agree you can't come out now complaining about it. I have always thought they should have a rule you miss a minimum 3 snaps as long as the drive continues instead of just one to stop that stuff some.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
They probably were but I agree you can't come out now complaining about it. I have always thought they should have a rule you miss a minimum 3 snaps as long as the drive continues instead of just one to stop that stuff some.

But why would you force a kid who cramps up and needs to come out for a play, or someone with a past knee injury who's overly cautious and thinks he may have another injury, to stay out of the game? Why would any team from the north ever agree to play in 95 degree heat if they could have kids sitting out several plays at a time the entire contest?

This isn't much different than the uproar about coaches calling TO right before the snap on FG attempts. It's easy to say he shouldn't do it, but what if at the last minute he notices 10 or 12 men on the field? Or a formation that might indicate a "fake"?

It's entirely too subjective. You can't punish someone for getting knicked up or cramping on the assumption that you think he's faking.

We're talking about changing longstanding rules because a small minority have no other strategy than to hurry up and start before the other guy is ready. It's embarrassing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator