Talent level for next year: Grade it

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Leave out incoming transfers and new recruits. Give your grade on returning players based on what you've seen this year.

D-
We were clearly out coached last night BUT from what I saw we were also at a talent disadvantage. They were quicker, faster and stronger at nearly every position. Don't make any excuses either about QB's or such as they lost their starting QB early in the season. Up front they were better on both sides of the LOS, they were better in the secondary, they had better playmakers and overcame a terrible, terrible QB....
I'm on the Tator Train but as I said in the box last night if he wins 5 or 6 games he will be doing a helluva job....anymore than that and he is a miracle worker.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
C-

However, there's no question in my mind UF wins at least 8 games next year. None.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
You now see why he's ignored some of the skill players and have offered every OL/DL breathing. We suck. Simply as that.

Now I saw some young guys make some plays like Princely and Hopper but very few bright spots. If I had to rank us in the SEC it would be below Bama, UGA, A&M, LSU, Aub, and in line with Kentucky, Miss, Miss St, UT, and above Missouri, Vandy, Arky, USCe

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I'd say B- talent, if this team was properly motivated and coached last night, they'd won by 2 TD's.
What position did we win at last night? Yes football is a team game but breaking down the individual battles last night we lost at EVERY position....every damned one,.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry Crete, can't agree. There's talent all over the field. They're just very poorly coached. No discipline. No confidence. No consistency. That's all coaching.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Talent C+

Talent depth D

With the exception of the Leghumper game, I don't give a crap about Ws vs Ls next year... maybe a little more concerned the following year.

What I do care about
1) establishing some decent quality depth (good start on ESD ... NSD TBD)
2) establishing discipline
3) establishing toughness
4) establishing consistency
5) get a Top 5 (ish) recruiting class next year.
6) Beating the Leghumpers

Oh... and teach these yahoo's to TACKLE AND BLOCK. You know ... football $hit.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Talented players don't lose individual battles all over the field...
Crete, you do believe that motivation, drive, and effort has SOMETHING to do with winning individual battles, right? I could have beaten Michael Jordan in 1-on-1 in his prime if he decided to sit on the floor during our entire game.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Talented players don't lose individual battles all over the field...
They do when they're poorly coached and motivated. This staff sucks the life out of these kids. It's become painfully obvious the leadership is absolute garbage with this staff.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Sorry Crete, can't agree. There's talent all over the field. They're just very poorly coached. No discipline. No confidence. No consistency. That's all coaching.

This. Between Dexter, Watson, Princely, Sapp, Lee and several others, our front 4(as an example) is littered with 4-5* players that everyone wanted.

Same with the secondary, and that’s not even counting incoming kids. Torrence was great this year and will thrive with better coaching. Marshall as well.

Not breaking down the whole roster, but those are two areas we looked awful at times this season, and it isn’t about the bodies themselves.

Thin I’m some spots, undersized in others. But this roster isn’t incapable of being fine under the right direction.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Crete, you do believe that motivation, drive, and effort has SOMETHING to do with winning individual battles, right? I could have beaten Michael Jordan on 1-on-1 in his prime if he decided to sit on the floor during our entire game.
I agree but thats where the coaching takes over....you could have put MJ on a team of midgets coached by URG and his talent would have still stood out....not the case with any returning player that I see on this team.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I think the appropriate question is talent level as it graded out for the year. Not what the talent level is next year. We have no idea how these guys are going to respond to new coach, system, S&C, etc. Plenty of teams have bounced back from a middling to low year with essentially the same "talent". I would probably give them a C- for how the talent graded out this year.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
C plus
QB play is biggest concern for me (see two overthrows last night for sure tds) .Three if you count Whittmores under throw.
I believe Napier and crew have a good nucleus to work with but not enough to compete with the big boys, that will take a couple good recruiting cycles.
I do however believe that with better coaching and discipline we can get out of the gutter with Vandy.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Our talent level is reflective of where we finished in the recruiting rankings. C. I have no idea what happened to the art of tackling. We quit on that a long time ago along with playing alert and intelligent football. That falls on the coaching staff, whose effort warrants a D.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
We keep getting back on the coaching thing. Terrible coaches have won NC's before....Look at Cheesdik....and The old bald guy at Miami....

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Not to sound like Mullen, but all of our regular season losses were within a touchdown. Now look at all the bs stupid, lack of discipline penalties and then add in absolutely miserable special teams play and I feel reasonably confident of at least 2 (kent, mizzou) possibly 3 LSU wins. Then what would we be grading the talent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator