Tennessee Fined $8M for HUNDREDS of Violations With Loss of 28 Scholarships

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Apparently they've already been reducing schollies so this isn't going to change things much. And yet we have all been assured it takes years without any head winds to build a winning roster.
You know, when there was no transfer portal, or NIL, that was true. Today I think you could put together a winning talent group in one year if the NIL funds were there. Heck, its better than the pros, no salary cap that I know about. Scout our all the best talent and offer them whatever it takes to get them to your roster. Of course I wouldn't watch a game. I think there is still some sense of pride in being a Gator (or something else) but those days are fast disappearing.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
deliverance GIF

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Looks like this ended pretty well for UT.
They avoided any meaningful punishment other than the $8 million payment.
Meanwhile they managed to avoid paying Pruitt about three times that much.

I assume that there are toothless smiles throughout the state of Tennessee these days

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
NCAA don't punish teams anymore like they did SMU and UF back in the day. I don't see this hurting Tenn too much. What does this breakdown to only being like 4 or 5 scholarship players short a year? Hell we spent a decade it seemed like (post Meyer) having a roster that short at least and we were't even on probation.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
Read the article. Sheesh. It's unreal they didn't get a bowl ban.
In '84, the Gators were charged by the NCAA with 107 improper burger king whopper violations. Maybe I got the charges off a little bit, but 107 none the less. We were stripped of our first SEC championship (I have 4 coca-cola bottles to prove it); we had 25 scholarships taken away; we were vanquished from bowls for three years, and we had to fire our head coach, Charlie Pell.

There were two head coaches who lobbied for even greater sanctions against the Gators. One, of course, was booby "I can't find my Depends" bowden, while the other was none other than head vol coach, johnnie majors. IMHO, the vols should get the death penalty for their current 111 violation situation just because majors was such a scoundrel. But instead, the vols penalty is a slap on the wrist in comparison to our penalties.

By the way, during those three probation years, the Gators had winning records, thanks to a walk-on QB from Live Oak. Thank you Kerwin!

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
The Throwin Mayoan.

And Pat Dye from Auburn was also instrumental in our penalty revelation to the NCAA.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In '84, the Gators were charged by the NCAA with 107 improper burger king whopper violations. Maybe I got the charges off a little bit, but 107 none the less. We were stripped of our first SEC championship (I have 4 coca-cola bottles to prove it); we had 25 scholarships taken away; we were vanquished from bowls for three years, and we had to fire our head coach, Charlie Pell.

There were two head coaches who lobbied for even greater sanctions against the Gators. One, of course, was booby "I can't find my Depends" bowden, while the other was none other than head vol coach, johnnie majors. IMHO, the vols should get the death penalty for their current 111 violation situation just because majors was such a scoundrel. But instead, the vols penalty is a slap on the wrist in comparison to our penalties.

By the way, during those three probation years, the Gators had winning records, thanks to a walk-on QB from Live Oak. Thank you Kerwin!

You left out maybe the worst part.
Television ban for two seasons.
Imagine what that would do to a program today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator