Tennessee is in shambles; Embarrassing autocorrect on Twitter feed

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Is Jimbo Fisher his only successful protege?

Not sure how many actual protégés he’s had vs. guys he had on staff for a year or two. I keep underwear longer than he keeps assistants. Jimbo was with him 5 years so that counts.

Let’s start a list and see:

Fisher - one NC
Dantonio - Solid Job at Mich. State, 3 Big 10 titles
Smart - One SEC and a recruiting buzzsaw

Bobby Williams - bust (at Mich State)
Muschamp - bust x2
McElwain - bust
Kiffin - ok at lowly Fau but destroyer of USC and Ut pre-Saban
Dooley - bust
Pruitt - busting badly
Cristobal - Too early to tell

How does that compare with the general population of head coaches? Most fail, so maybe pretty good?

Looks like UF and Ut have borne the brunt of chasing the wrong protégés. But no matter how bad we’ve been, Ut is worse.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Sad really. They used to win the preseason SEC/national championship all the time. It was their year! Now UGA has stolen that lofty perch from them. They have nothing.

And every year a “November to Remember!” would fuel wild offseason optimism. Kentucky, Vandy plus a directional school and “open” had them riding high and regarding that pesky game the 3rd week of September as an anomaly.

They were always the best program for 10 months of the year, if you go November-August.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
And every year a “November to Remember!” would fuel wild offseason optimism. Kentucky, Vandy plus a directional school and “open” had them riding high and regarding that pesky game the 3rd week of September as an anomaly.

They were always the best program for 10 months of the year, if you go November-August.
Yeah, for at least 20 years they have been the national champions from March through August. In their mind, divide by 2 and they have 10 legitimate natty's. What a program!

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Still can’t take either lightly. Prepare well and crush them both.
I don't think we're at risk of that. For the faults that they have I think this is a staff that is the type that messages curb stomping a rival when they are down.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure how many actual protégés he’s had vs. guys he had on staff for a year or two. I keep underwear longer than he keeps assistants. Jimbo was with him 5 years so that counts.

Let’s start a list and see:

Fisher - one NC
Dantonio - Solid Job at Mich. State, 3 Big 10 titles
Smart - One SEC and a recruiting buzzsaw

Bobby Williams - bust (at Mich State)
Muschamp - bust x2
McElwain - bust
Kiffin - ok at lowly Fau but destroyer of USC and Ut pre-Saban
Dooley - bust
Pruitt - busting badly
Cristobal - Too early to tell

How does that compare with the general population of head coaches? Most fail, so maybe pretty good?

Looks like UF and Ut have borne the brunt of chasing the wrong protégés. But no matter how bad we’ve been, Ut is worse.

Cristobal is a bust. Maybe I’m not remembering correctly – but I believe he was an HC at FIU and failed at that but because of his connections down south he became a mega recruiter at Bama. He’s failing again as an HC at Oregon. He can recruit his butt off – but that’s it.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
Cristobal is a bust. Maybe I’m not remembering correctly – but I believe he was an HC at FIU and failed at that but because of his connections down south he became a mega recruiter at Bama. He’s failing again as an HC at Oregon. He can recruit his butt off – but that’s it.

So he’s Oregon’s Kirby?

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
As far as UcheaT's coach goes, I don't see how he was hired in the first place. He is the absolute worst I have ever seen in addressing the public or in interviews, a head coach has to be good at that. He makes Butters look like Knute Rockne.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
As far as UcheaT's coach goes, I don't see how he was hired in the first place. He is the absolute worst I have ever seen in addressing the public or in interviews, a head coach has to be good at that. He makes Butters look like Knute Rockne.
After the Kiffin BS, Schiano hiring and firing, AD firing, Leach near hire, nobody was going there. Pruitt was all they could get. I wonder if it was a secret plot by Fulmer to screw the Vols over for his own firing.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Let's face, UT played over their heads for a long time. They aren't in a recruiting-rich area where they should have been a national powerhouse. They were damn lucky they won a NC and should just be happy about that. Hell, Colorado used to be a powerhouse too.

My point is, those days are never coming back and they need to pray for 8 or 9 win seasons until the end of time.

I don't think Tennersee is in any worse situation than a lot of teams are as far as their geography and recruiting is concerned. It's a nice campus with a pretty good fanbase. If they could find a good coach they might one day be able to do something.

What I don't get is how teams like Oklahoma, Ohio State and Michigan get good recruits and compete for titles. They're all in nasty weather states with similar recruiting bases. Same with Nebraska, Penn State and Michigan State for that matter. Nothing about their campuses or coeds would stand out to me as a recruit to make me want to go there. I'd pick Tennersee over all of them based on those intangibles.

That we lose out in recruiting to the likes of Ohio State and Oklahoma blows my mind.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Two players left the program today, a WR and DT. Not sure either was a contributor but just another sign that chaos continues at UToothless

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator