Thank you Veterans!

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Words cannot truly express the gratitude I have for all of you veterans out there.

Last edited:

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Uncle was a point man in Vietnam. Had dogs, lost a few. Life expectancy was 7 minutes. Grateful he’s still alive.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018

Sorry, but I just can't let this go. lol

So on Saturday, three UF ROTC students are going to be introduced by name to a huge big moderate-sized crowd in the lovely Southern town we all love, Gainesville, Florida.

Army Cadet Joshua Avery, Air Force Cadet Eric Stadfeld and Navy Midshipman Brandon Roberts.

I suspect that the Navy midshipman, in particular, may be very well received. ln fact the crowd may even begin chanting his name!

That might put Midshipman Roberts in a difficult position. I think ROTC upperclassmen are considered part of whichever branch of service they're in, right?

Like in some reserve capacity at least, such that they are subject to military regulations?

Like the regulation against making any kind of public political endorsements or statements while in uniform?

My question is, could the Navy midshipman get in trouble if the crowd starts chanting his first name and he acknowledges it in some way, like by clapping or pumping his fist?

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
Sorry, but I just can't let this go. lol

So on Saturday, three UF ROTC students are going to be introduced by name to a huge big moderate-sized crowd in the lovely Southern town we all love, Gainesville, Florida.

Army Cadet Joshua Avery, Air Force Cadet Eric Stadfeld and Navy Midshipman Brandon Roberts.

I suspect that the Navy midshipman, in particular, may be very well received. ln fact the crowd may even begin chanting his name!

That might put Midshipman Roberts in a difficult position. I think ROTC upperclassmen are considered part of whichever branch of service they're in, right?

Like in some reserve capacity at least, such that they are subject to military regulations?

Like the regulation against making any kind of public political endorsements or statements while in uniform?

My question is, could the Navy midshipman get in trouble if the crowd starts chanting his first name and he acknowledges it in some way, like by clapping or pumping his fist?
I will be there and will cheer for Brandon, Avera and Stadfeld. Volume is likely to increase upon hearing "Brandon" whereupon I will respond in kind. U of Flori-Woke might announce "Midshipman Roberts!","Cadet Avera"...etc. so as not to put Brandon in a situation where he could be reprimanded for appearing too enthusiastic, or to deny Gator miscreants the opportunity to have a little fun. Nevertheless I hope to hear the rhythmic chant start from the student section (if there are enough of them in the stands). Hearing a huge big moderate-sized crowd of patriotic American Gator fans express their support and giving the finger to wokeism in general at the same time would give me a great deal of satisfaction.

There again, it's all about expressing our gratitude and support for our Veterans, and one reason I didn't want to miss this game.
USA! USA!......
iu

Last edited:

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
My grandfather, N. Korea, Nov. 1950, white arrow. They were the first regiment (17th Inf. Regt. of the 7th Inf Div) to reach the Yalu River near Hyesan. They weren't there long. Some units of the 7th ID were ordered south and west to cover the retreat of the Marines around Chosin Reservoir. Not a single man from that detachment survived. The rest chose a route along the east coast to evac at Hungnam, North Korea. He endured 50 straight days of combat and lived his life with a piece of grenade shrapnel in his calf. Buried at Arlington, 1982.
This image from "Stars & Stripes" article, 1970.
upload_2021-11-12_8-31-30.png

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
I will be there and will cheer for Brandon, Avera and Stadfeld. Volume is likely to increase upon hearing "Brandon" whereupon I will respond in kind. U of Flori-Woke might announce "Midshipman Roberts!","Cadet Avera"...etc. so as not to put Brandon in a situation where he could be reprimanded for appearing too enthusiastic, or to deny Gator miscreants the opportunity to have a little fun. Nevertheless I hope to hear the rhythmic chant start from the student section (if there are enough of them in the stands). Hearing a huge big moderate-sized crowd of patriotic American Gator fans express their support and giving the finger to wokeism in general at the same time would give me a great deal of satisfaction.

There again, it's all about expressing our gratitude and support for our Veterans, and one reason I didn't want to miss this game.
USA! USA!......
iu
I hear you but for purposes of this thread, rather than address the meaning behind the chanting, my focus is just that it's sort of interesting that a military guy could potentially get in trouble for reacting favorably to the chanting of his own name. I'm curious how that would play out.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
My grandfather, N. Korea, Nov. 1950, white arrow. They were the first regiment (17th Inf. Regt. of the 7th Inf Div) to reach the Yalu River near Hyesan. They weren't there long. Some units of the 7th ID were ordered south and west to cover the retreat of the Marines around Chosin Reservoir. Not a single man from that detachment survived. The rest chose a route along the east coast to evac at Hungnam, North Korea. He endured 50 straight days of combat and lived his life with a piece of grenade shrapnel in his calf. Buried at Arlington, 1982.
This image from "Stars & Stripes" article, 1970.

MacArthur was right about China. In the immortal words of Jokity Fooley, "if it needs to be done eventually, it ought to be done immediately."

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It may be old school but it is current school -- that looks like an M40 sniper rifle and if I'm not mistaken the USMC still uses them today. The Army version was called the M24 but I think they've been replaced.
Bolts are still very much in use.

Quite a few different calibers now though.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It may be old school but it is current school -- that looks like an M40 sniper rifle and if I'm not mistaken the USMC still uses them today. The Army version was called the M24 but I think they've been replaced.
I used both the M24 and the M21 (M14 with a scope). The M21 was far better. Of course, for that job, you want a bolt action weapon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator