Thanksgiving Desserts

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Yankees eat pumpkin pie. Civilized folk eat sweet potato pie. With fresh made whipped cream. For dessert and for breakfast at least until Sunday morning after Thanksgiving. My grandma made the best. But my favorite dessert is Key Lime Pie, I just couldn't make it to Dogbone Key and back on Turkey Day.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Red Velvet. Mixing it up biggly. Nice touch.
Honestly, as good as the cake is, had someone come downstairs at 3 am, they mighta found me in a dark corner of the house crouched down scraping just the frosting off and eating that... the frosting is really, really, good.

In full disclosure (and in fairness to), my wife does an amazing job with the turkey (it takes hours and a lot of basting), use a mix of stove top and homemade stuffing (in the bird), the mashed potatoes are homemade, and the amazing gravy is also homemade from the bird (luckily, the bird made a LOT of gravy this year for the leftovers)... so if we "cheat" on the desert, I think the whole house is just fine with that. :lol:

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
@Detroitgator

A really good friend of ours owns the NBC here. We get them all the time. They are really good.

We had lasagna this year.

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
The best Nothing Bundt Cake flavor is the White Chocolate Raspberry!! Red Velvet's good too though, and that icing is magical.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
The best Nothing Bundt Cake flavor is the White Chocolate Raspberry!! Red Velvet's good too though, and that icing is magical.
I'm a sucker for the carrot cake... for me, even "bad" carrot cake is pretty good (unless it's dry). For yesterday, they were "out" of a lot of flavors, so red velvet turkey cake is what we go! (I know the rest of my family really like the white chocolate raspberry).

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020

For our family bridal and baby showers I get the Bundtinis. Lots of flavors to choose from.
And the best part is that they have GF for those that GF themselves. :lol:

1669398364769.png

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yankees eat pumpkin pie. Civilized folk eat sweet potato pie. With fresh made whipped cream. For dessert and for breakfast at least until Sunday morning after Thanksgiving. My grandma made the best. But my favorite dessert is Key Lime Pie, I just couldn't make it to Dogbone Key and back on Turkey Day.
You know, I seem to remember reading or hearing somewhere that Longstreet rewarded his troops after defeating the Yankees at Bean’s Station with Key Lime Pie, as it was truly a traditional Confederate dessert :lol:

Seriously though, we love the key lime and lemon condensed milk pies at our house. Got curious and looked up a little history on key lime and it was either a knockoff of Borden’s condensed milk lemon or was developed in the keys. If it was the former, Borden’s originated in NY, a little north of the Mason-Dixon! Of course I’m just funnin’ with you!

Last edited:

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm a sucker for the carrot cake... for me, even "bad" carrot cake is pretty good (unless it's dry). For yesterday, they were "out" of a lot of flavors, so red velvet turkey cake is what we go! (I know the rest of my family really like the white chocolate raspberry).
Carrot is the way to go.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My grandmother had huge pecan trees on her property in Macon, Ga. Every year we would get pecans to shell and then mom would freeze them and make pies using Karo syrup. Those are my early memories of Thanksgiving with family. Probably similar to other families with southern Ga roots.

I didn’t know there was any other way to make them!

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Pecan pie for me! Kids like pumpkin pie smothered in cool whip.

Pumpkin cheesecake some years. It's my second favorite. Got one from Costco this year, so very big! It has lines on top to designate the pieces. Had to ask my wife why they put a line in the middle of each piece as well! :woohoo:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Honestly, as good as the cake is, had someone come downstairs at 3 am, they mighta found me in a dark corner of the house crouched down scraping just the frosting off and eating that... the frosting is really, really, good.

In full disclosure (and in fairness to), my wife does an amazing job with the turkey (it takes hours and a lot of basting), use a mix of stove top and homemade stuffing (in the bird), the mashed potatoes are homemade, and the amazing gravy is also homemade from the bird (luckily, the bird made a LOT of gravy this year for the leftovers)... so if we "cheat" on the desert, I think the whole house is just fine with that. :lol:

1669412772130.png

Blonde Gator

Founding Member
Cynic
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Key Lime Pie. Always and forever. And for a smallish crown, STONERS. I'll use any excuse to eat stone crabs, as in "I don't want to deal with all that leftover turkey". Stoners & Key Lime Pie, a match made in heaven. What I want to know is how many turkeys CD smoked this year?

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Key Lime Pie. Always and forever. And for a smallish crown, STONERS. I'll use any excuse to eat stone crabs, as in "I don't want to deal with all that leftover turkey". Stoners & Key Lime Pie, a match made in heaven. What I want to know is how many turkeys CD smoked this year?
Good to see you Blonde

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Hey Blonde - good to see you. Crabs and key lime sound like a perfect thanksgiving to me! Did you make your pie? Hope you and B are doing well.

We just did one turkey for our family to eat leftovers this year. My days of cooking turkeys for the big family are over. Everything has changed since Seedy’s parents passed. We had intense negotiations on what Christmas was going to look like. I agreed to arrange the games and prizes if someone else would host. Everyone is bringing appetizers instead of a Christmas meal. Change is hard.

Last edited:

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I’m a huge carrot cake fan - that’s the birthday go-to…but got one from Whole Foods and it was horrible. Publix is still the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.