The Confederate Battle Flag, why they fought, and what should we do today.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Lots of discussion about the causes of the Civil War.

I think you guys are asking the wrong question.

It's one thing to ask why South Carolina decided to secede from the Union.

It's another to ask why South Carolinians fought in the Civil War.

The answer to the first is not the same as the answer to the second.

Think about the border states (the slave-holding states which did not secede from the Union). Delaware, Maryland, Kentucky, and Missouri. Let's set Delaware and Missouri aside for a moment. Were the citizens of Maryland THAT much different from the citizens of Virginia? Were the citizens of Kentucky THAT much different from the citizens of Tennessee or Virginia?

Per wikipedia (so take it with a grain of salt) nearly 60 infantry regiments of Kentuckians served in the Union armies versus just 9 in the Confederate. However, a rather large number of cavalry outfits joined the latter. Again, per wikipedia, it has been estimated that, of the state's 1860 population of 687,000, up to 25,000 Marylanders traveled south to fight for the Confederacy while about 60,000 Maryland men served in all branches of the Union military.

So it appears that in the border States, most stayed home. A small number chose to fight for the North or for the South. Let's call those the true believers. They are the ones who fought for the political reasons you guys are debating here. What of the large majority who didn't fight?

I hypothesize that if Virginia hadn't seceded and joined the Confederacy (which did not happen until after Ft. Sumter), like Maryland and Kentucky, most of her boys would have stayed home. The reason most of them went to war wasn't for some political idea (although if you asked them, I'm quite certain that is the very reason they would have given). I believe they went to war because their State called.

Had Maryland seceded and joined the Confederacy, I have no doubt many Marylanders would have joined the Confederate war effort in droves and very few would have helped the Union. Ditto for Kentucky.

That is why South Carolina should honor Confederate cemeteries and memorials. Because South Carolina called them to fight and they answered that call. They fought and died not for slavery or for state's rights...they fought and died for South Carolina. Same for Virginia, Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, etc.

Of course an argument can be made that Confederate soldiers were fighting for a bad cause. You can also argue that American soldiers who fought in the Mexican-American War were fighting for a bad cause and you can make the same argument for the Indian Wars, the Spanish-American War, possibly for World War One, the Vietnam War, and the Iraq War. 150 years hence, do we want people arguing whether the Iraq War was fought over WMDs or Islamophobia or American Imperialism or to fight terrorism or whatever and have people argue that the troops who fought there should not be honored or that they should be exhumed from Arlington National Cemetery and moved to a garbage dump?

Our soldiers who fought in Iraq had all kinds of motivations but ultimately they fought because their country called and they answered that call. Whether you support the war or not, WE, as a nation, called them to fight for us and that is what they did. Same thing applies to those who fought for the Confederacy.

Sherman's troops cut a swathe of destruction through the South that could easily be called a war crime. Yet we honor those troops. Our airmen indiscriminately firebombed Japanese civilians. Today, that would certainly be a war crime. Yet we honor those troops. AS WE SHOULD.

Should a Confederate Battle Flag fly over the South Carolina State House? No. Should it fly somewhere on State House property, maybe over a memorial to the fallen of the Civil War? In an ideal world, that would be fine. But we don't live in an ideal world. That particular symbol has been co-opted and represents something very negative to many of our citizens. It doesn't matter that slavery happened under the American flag, or the British flag, or the Spanish flag, or that Native Americans were oppressed under the American flag, or that the Klan and the American Nazis used the American flag or whatever. (I hate this phrase) but it is what it is. We can't rehabilitate that flag right now. Maybe 50 years from now that will change. But not today. So, even though it's not "fair", that flag should come down.

BUT--it should be replaced by an appropriate symbol that does not carry all the negative connotations of the Confederate Battle Flag. I respectfully suggest either the "Stars and Bars" or the "Bonnie Blue":

120px-Flag_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America_%28March_1861_%E2%80%93_May_1861%29.svg.png
220px-Bonnieblue.svg.png

There is some historical accuracy and relevance to both and neither carry the stigma of the Confederate Battle Flag.

As for cancelling re-runs of the Dukes of Hazzard or Wal Mart pulling Lynard Skynard albums because of the cover art...that's just childish.

Alex.

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
A very well-thought out take. And I agree completely about Dukes of Hazard, etc. It's total overkill

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Generally agree with all that.

You can debate what it used to stand for. There is little debate of what it stands for now among many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Himey

Founding Member
Super Important Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It is a good post. I had never thought about it as just a call to serve your state and that no matter how the cause to go to war has been distorted, we shouldn't denigrate those her served and that there is good in continuing to honor them. Well thought out.

I'm copying and pasting this from another post of mine to save time....this is why I'm worried about setting a precedent by rolling over on the Confederate flag b/c it offends some:

People who do not know much about history needs to ask themselves this question: If you roll over on the Confederate flag issue b/c you feel you don't have a dog in this fight, be careful about the precedent you are setting. The American flag flew over slavery for far longer and in far greater numbers. Massachusetts was the slave trade capital of the entire country for most of the slave holding years of the US. Moreover, Lincoln did not invade the south to free slaves...Slavery was still legal in many Union States and he did nothing about those slaves. The arguments made against the Confederate flag can be made with greater effect against the American flag (and it has already begun, fyi). What moral standing will you have to push back against the mob then? Just because some people find certain things offensive is not a sufficient reason to tear it down. That is an extremely slippery slope.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
AlexDaGator;n248532 said:
Lots of discussion about the causes of the Civil War.

I think you guys are asking the wrong question.

It's one thing to ask why South Carolina decided to secede from the Union.

It's another to ask why South Carolinians fought in the Civil War.

The answer to the first is not the same as the answer to the second.

Think about the border states (the slave-holding states which did not secede from the Union). Delaware, Maryland, Kentucky, and Missouri. Let's set Delaware and Missouri aside for a moment. Were the citizens of Maryland THAT much different from the citizens of Virginia? Were the citizens of Kentucky THAT much different from the citizens of Tennessee or Virginia?

Per wikipedia (so take it with a grain of salt) nearly 60 infantry regiments of Kentuckians served in the Union armies versus just 9 in the Confederate. However, a rather large number of cavalry outfits joined the latter. Again, per wikipedia, it has been estimated that, of the state's 1860 population of 687,000, up to 25,000 Marylanders traveled south to fight for the Confederacy while about 60,000 Maryland men served in all branches of the Union military.

So it appears that in the border States, most stayed home. A small number chose to fight for the North or for the South. Let's call those the true believers. They are the ones who fought for the political reasons you guys are debating here. What of the large majority who didn't fight?

I hypothesize that if Virginia hadn't seceded and joined the Confederacy (which did not happen until after Ft. Sumter), like Maryland and Kentucky, most of her boys would have stayed home. The reason most of them went to war wasn't for some political idea (although if you asked them, I'm quite certain that is the very reason they would have given). I believe they went to war because their State called.

Had Maryland seceded and joined the Confederacy, I have no doubt many Marylanders would have joined the Confederate war effort in droves and very few would have helped the Union. Ditto for Kentucky.

That is why South Carolina should honor Confederate cemeteries and memorials. Because South Carolina called them to fight and they answered that call. They fought and died not for slavery or for state's rights...they fought and died for South Carolina. Same for Virginia, Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, etc.

Of course an argument can be made that Confederate soldiers were fighting for a bad cause. You can also argue that American soldiers who fought in the Mexican-American War were fighting for a bad cause and you can make the same argument for the Indian Wars, the Spanish-American War, possibly for World War One, the Vietnam War, and the Iraq War. 150 years hence, do we want people arguing whether the Iraq War was fought over WMDs or Islamophobia or American Imperialism or to fight terrorism or whatever and have people argue that the troops who fought there should not be honored or that they should be exhumed from Arlington National Cemetery and moved to a garbage dump?

Our soldiers who fought in Iraq had all kinds of motivations but ultimately they fought because their country called and they answered that call. Whether you support the war or not, WE, as a nation, called them to fight for us and that is what they did. Same thing applies to those who fought for the Confederacy.

Sherman's troops cut a swathe of destruction through the South that could easily be called a war crime. Yet we honor those troops. Our airmen indiscriminately firebombed Japanese civilians. Today, that would certainly be a war crime. Yet we honor those troops. AS WE SHOULD.

Should a Confederate Battle Flag fly over the South Carolina State House? No. Should it fly somewhere on State House property, maybe over a memorial to the fallen of the Civil War? In an ideal world, that would be fine. But we don't live in an ideal world. That particular symbol has been co-opted and represents something very negative to many of our citizens. It doesn't matter that slavery happened under the American flag, or the British flag, or the Spanish flag, or that Native Americans were oppressed under the American flag, or that the Klan and the American Nazis used the American flag or whatever. (I hate this phrase) but it is what it is. We can't rehabilitate that flag right now. Maybe 50 years from now that will change. But not today. So, even though it's not "fair", that flag should come down.

BUT--it should be replaced by an appropriate symbol that does not carry all the negative connotations of the Confederate Battle Flag. I respectfully suggest either the "Stars and Bars" or the "Bonnie Blue":

120px-Flag_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America_%28March_1861_%E2%80%93_May_1861%29.svg.png
220px-Bonnieblue.svg.png

There is some historical accuracy and relevance to both and neither carry the stigma of the Confederate Battle Flag.

As for cancelling re-runs of the Dukes of Hazzard or Wal Mart pulling Lynard Skynard albums because of the cover art...that's just childish.

Alex.

Well said - and my 'historical hero' Shelby Foote had this to say:

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Himey;n248614 said:
The American flag flew over slavery for far longer and in far greater numbers. Massachusetts was the slave trade capital of the entire country for most of the slave holding years of the US.

I see this stated a lot. Yes, there was slavery under the USA flag. There was also the abolition of slavery, something that never happened and was never considered by the CSA.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Cowboy;n248705 said:
Always liked Shelby Foote

I read his three volume epic on the Civil War - took me forever but holy crap was it insightful.
Almost like a "You Were There" type of reading.

He sums it up nicely in that video interview he did.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
stephenPE;n248720 said:
Shelby was the man & what a great name........he made Ken Burns series on PBS

Between him and this - it made for an awesome series (this still gets me every time ) :

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
It was an amazing documentary........ that was great & the music just kills it.......people could write better back them.
this is ama#i#g too https://youtu.be/yt7qvuHSg6U[video]https://youtu.be/yt7qvuHSg6U[/video]

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I agree to a point. However, using my family's verbal history and other's, there was no desire to participate in the war of 1812, the Seminole wars, nor the Mexican war. And to be truthful, there were parts of my family which did not want to have anything to do with 'War of Northern Aggression'.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Fishon;n248706 said:
I see this stated a lot. Yes, there was slavery under the USA flag. There was also the abolition of slavery, something that never happened and was never considered by the CSA.

Massachusetts never formally abolished slavery until the passage of the Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution in 1865.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
stephenPE;n248733 said:
It was an amazing documentary........ that was great & the music just kills it.......people could write better back them.
this is ama#i#g too https://youtu.be/yt7qvuHSg6U[video]https://youtu.be/yt7qvuHSg6U[/video]

Foote kills it in that one!
Quick side note (not to throw a turd in the proverbial punchbowl) but the song behind that letter video (Ashokan Farewell) was written in 1982.
Sounds old timey don't it?

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I have absolutely no problem with a state building flying the battle flag. It is not a federal building, it is a state building. States' rights are supposed to mean something. I'm not saying it's the most prudent thing to do, but neither is bowing down to the squeaky wheels. Whether people want to acknowledge it or not, there is a very real tension in the country right now. I believe most of the tension is caused by ignorance or provoking by some opportunists. The confederate battle is simply another issue to draw our attention away from real issues.

We just had a muslim terrorists attack soldiers on American soil and those soldiers were not allowed to carry firearms to defend themselves. Our community organizer in Chief won't even call it what it is. We are very close to some civil unrest that could cause some serious issues in this country. And all those *******s are worried about a flag.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
From the West Virginia Historical Society Quarterly
[h=3]VOLUME XIV, NO. 4
October, 2000[/h]
CONFEDERATE SOLDIERS:
WHY DID THEY ENLIST?
BY
MICHAEL BAXTER SHOCK

The battle flag was intended only for military use, and it has a regimental status, and it is meant only for the battlefield and the soldiers who fight under it upon that field. Therefore, it is a soldier's flag, for they are the ones who fight and die under it. The modern public does not understand or even know about this difference regarding the meaning of flags, particularly in regards to the Confederacy, since the battle flag almost always was taken into the cauldron alone, and without the national colors, unlike the Union armies. Therefore, in people's eyes today, the battle flag is the flag. A similar dilemma of historical misunderstanding involves the modern perception of Confederate soldiers, the reasons of why they enlisted, and even what the majority of them were like. People seem to think that they fought to only preserve slavery, and that was their only reason for enlisting to fight in the War Between the States. Of course, they were all white, Anglo-Saxon, and Protestant, and they all were Southern born and bred. Researching history can bring about startling surprises. These surprises are that those views are historically inaccurate.

The men who enlisted to fight for the Confederate States of America were more varied in motivations and backgrounds than what is commonly realized or known. The soldiers who went to fight were not just native Southern white males or rich slave-holding plantation owners, but were also of foreign birth, native French-speaking Creoles, and even of Northern origin. There were also Mexican-Americans who enlisted, but the most surprising of those who chose to enlist to fight, or even wanted to enlist to fight for the Confederacy, were Native- Americans and African-Americans! None of these groups come to mind as Rebel soldiers, but they were. Of course that brings about a very probing question. Why did they enlist or want to enlist? To understand "native" white Southerners will be looked at first. What will be dealt with is the fact that many did not even consider slavery the major motivation to enlist, or even one at all. This tends to indicate that slavery was not the overriding factor to all white Southerners, or the even only factor (as common historical teachings, specifically school textbooks, have dictated).
In the South, 385,000 families owned slaves, out of a white population of 1,516,000 families.[SUP]1[/SUP] In the Army of Northern Virginia, for example, the majority of soldiers did not come from families that even had a direct personal stake in slavery.[SUP]2[/SUP] Therefore, "it was not the issue of slavery for which the average officer or enlisted man went to war." Actually, what really motivated them to enlist was their tremendous pride in their own land and what they and their fathers had achieved, "combined with a general dislike of Northerners stemming from most superficial knowledge of the real people who inhabited the northern states".[SUP]3[/SUP]
Many white Confederate soldiers stated reasons other than slavery as motivations for enlisting. After the secession of the state of Virginia, "Benjamin W. Jones found that 'the determination to resist invasion-the first and most sacred duty of a free people-became general, if not universal'". Historian William C. Davis then stated, "that determination sent him into the army, and thousands more with him".[SUP]4[/SUP] Carlton McCarthy wrote in his memoir with some poetic prose, that the Southerner "dared not refuse to hear the call to arms, so plain was the duty and so urgent the call. His brethren and friends were answering the bugle-call and the sound of the drum," and "to stay was dishonor and shame"![SUP]5[/SUP] Defense of the home and duty with honor seemed to be very strong primary reasons for enlisting for the average Confederate soldier. McCarthy's quote points out another factor as well. The power of one's peers.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Alex, your assumption of answering the call is pretty accurate. I came upon this poignant story this morning while researching history on my own family. This is a condensed version, the link below takes you to a rather interesting 3 page account of young Capt.Todd Carter's accounts in service. I encourage you to read it. Prior to his death on the field of battle, he was captured and sent to Lookout Point, a prisoner of war camp in Maryland. My great great grandfather's brother was also held prisoner and died in this same POW camp.
9a21ed7a15df9017e73c9bf8a124e155.jpg

Captain Todd Carter ... killed at the Battle of Franklin, Tenn. He was killed on the family farm, within 100 yds of the house where he was born and where his family sought refuge in the basement. After the battle, with a lantern in hand, his father wandered over the battlefield all night looking for his son. After his body was found, Todd was taken to the house where his mother and sisters cleaned his body and prepared him for burial.
[video=youtube;zRvy30D6ngA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRvy30D6ngA[/video]

Cowboy

Certified Troll
Dec 25, 2014
AlexDaGator;n248532 said:
Sherman's troops cut a swathe of destruction through the South that could easily be called a war crime. Yet we honor those troops. Our airmen indiscriminately firebombed Japanese civilians. Today, that would certainly be a war crime.

It was was what came to be called TOTAL WAR.

The Civil War has been called the first modern war.
Telegraph, railroads, aerial servalence, submarines, steam powered ironclads, trench warfare, the repeating rifle and the machine gun.

Yet we honor those troops. AS WE SHOULD.

Helps to be on the winning side.
Otherwise you get put on the dock at Nuremberg and hanged.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
The violin puts you in that era. I visited Gettysburg years ago & it overwhelms you with its pathos.......so much death valor & fear

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.