The Current State of Gator Sports

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm just to the point of finding other things to put my time and emotions into. Taking the kids fishing, ball with the son and gymnastics with the daughter, more family time, home improvements. Hell, mowing the lawn is a better use of my time and less painful than watching faggity tater and his staff of dollar general discount returns.
It's definitely good advice. Try and enjoy the blessings that you have. Watching gator athletics excel certainly hasn't happened in ages. I haven't watched much of our baseball team yet, but the season is early and we at least have some arm talent that has potential. The good news is with our lineup they don't need to be Pedro or Maddux for us to win on the diamond. On the flip side we have the worst athletic director in the country, and a football coach thats owned by the lowly Kentucky WIldcats.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
And as the final kick in the nuts, Gatorchatter will sunset in 10 weeks. Just remember it's for the best, you'll thank me eventually.
Michael Scott No GIF

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
@Durty South Swamp I get and share your frustration with football and to a lesser extent basketball. (Billy D was special and I can’t expect NCs. I set that bar at making the tournament regularly and the Sweet 16 is a very good year.)

In other men’s sports, we’ve won [edit] 9 NCs in the last 10 years, including our only-ever in baseball and men’s tennis. I doubt many programs can top that. But we don’t go to track, golf, tennis etc. I would if I lived in Gainesville. But I don’t and those are rarely broadcast.

But to revive your interest and dispel the gloom a bit, I suggest to focus less on the staff and take interest in the players as more than a means to an end. It’s easier to cheer for Mertz, for example, knowing who he is. Lagway too.

Case in point:

I’m old enough that I suffered through the 70’s, and I was a student when we rose in the early 80’s only to see everything snatched away and demolished. Then came SOS. We ought to contend for the SEC every year. We’ve gone from “Wait til next year!” To “Remember when…” But I’ve never lost that sense of being with and behind the players. That’s getting rocked by the portal, but it’s still the heart of my fandom.

“We suck” may be true, but it’s a lousy mindset when a team is trying to come together. I wouldn’t put up with it with my kids’ teams or anywhere else, honestly. It’s no way to lead or to be a team member. “In all kinds of weather,” right?

Last edited:

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Friday nights are what I use to reset, unwind, eliminate and throw off the stress.
I made a huge mistake in planning my late afternoon to watch that game yesterday.
So, my Friday night SUCKED!!!!

Sitting here on a peaceful Saturday morning with the birds chirping and the sun just now getting through the oaks in my back yard, you would think that knot in my neck would have subsided by now.

Hell, We don't even have Baseball to fall back on now.
Maybe Softball can come through for us?
Basketball at least shows some promise. Even with the horrible refs we had yesterday, we would have won that game with Handlogten in the lineup.
I digress.

Yeah, I agree with the general sentiment here. This ****ty coaching and ****ty teams and lack of pride for the Orange and Blue, starts in the AD's office.
It's just not enjoyable to watch anything we're putting on the field, the court or the diamond.
After 42 years of Die hard, confident, proud fandom, I'm completely deflated and worn out.
Definitely need to find something else to do or somewhere else to place this passion for sport.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
@Durty South Swamp I get and share your frustration with football and to a lesser extent basketball. (Billy D was special and I can’t expect NCs. I set that bar at making the tournament regularly and the Sweet 16 is a very good year.)

In other men’s sports, we’ve won 8 NCs in the last 10 years, including our only-ever in baseball and men’s tennis. I doubt many programs can top that. But we don’t go to track, golf, tennis etc. I would if I lived in Gainesville. But I don’t and those are rarely broadcast.

But to revive your interest and dispel the gloom a bit, I suggest to focus less on the staff and take interest in the players as more than a means to an end. It’s easier to cheer for Mertz, for example, knowing who he is. Lagway too.

Case in point:

I’m old enough that I suffered through the 70’s, and I was a student when we rose in the early 80’s only to see everything snatched away and demolished. Then came SOS. We ought to contend for the SEC every year. We’ve gone from “Wait til next year!” To “Remember when…” But I’ve never lost that sense of being with and behind the players. That’s getting rocked by the portal, but it’s still the heart of my fandom.

“We suck” may be true, but it’s a lousy mindset when a team is trying to come together. I wouldn’t put up with it with my kids’ teams or anywhere else, honestly. It’s no way to lead or to be a team member. “In all kinds of weather,” right?

Love the positivity. Thanks for posting this.

Sorry to say though brother.......We hear this same BS EVERY Spring.

I for one, am not buying it anymore until I see some progress on the field, which might be pretty hard because I'm not sure I want to continue to torture myself through another football season.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Friday nights are what I use to reset, unwind, eliminate and throw off the stress.
I made a huge mistake in planning my late afternoon to watch that game yesterday.
So, my Friday night SUCKED!!!!

Sitting here on a peaceful Saturday morning with the birds chirping and the sun just now getting through the oaks in my back yard, you would think that knot in my neck would have subsided by now.

Hell, We don't even have Baseball to fall back on now.
Maybe Softball can come through for us?
Basketball at least shows some promise. Even with the horrible refs we had yesterday, we would have won that game with Handlogten in the lineup.
I digress.

Yeah, I agree with the general sentiment here. This ****ty coaching and ****ty teams and lack of pride for the Orange and Blue, starts in the AD's office.
It's just not enjoyable to watch anything we're putting on the field, the court or the diamond.
After 42 years of Die hard, confident, proud fandom, I'm completely deflated and worn out.
Definitely need to find something else to do or somewhere else to place this passion for sport.
At the end of the day sports are entertainment, nothing more. Those of you that get horribly depressed and have chest pains really shouldn't watch anymore. It's not worth it. Go get a 3D printer or something.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
At the end of the day sports are entertainment, nothing more. Those of you that get horribly depressed and have chest pains really shouldn't watch anymore. It's not worth it. Go get a 3D printer or something.
and by something, do you mean prostitute? :heehee:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Or a prostitute?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.