The Current State of Gator Sports

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Speaking of 3D printing, my current project is coming along well after 2.5 months.

IMG-2796.jpg

How do we know that shed is actually real and not just another one of your 3D projects? To me, and several others, it looks fake.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We were fortunate to have Spurrier here for over a decade.

We caught lightning in a bottle with Donovan and Meyer. Championships in both Basketball and Football. The chances of that happening again, in our lifetimes, is slim.

Add in NIL, free agency and UFs emphasis on becoming Hillbilly Harvard, and the chances of ever repeating our glory days are nada.

No point in losing sleep over it.

Take up fishing.

Hillbilly Harvard.
Now there’s a nickname that could stick. I can’t think of a better way of describing the massive disconnect between the administration and the fanbase.

If you don’t mind, I will be repeating this one for a while now.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm just to the point of finding other things to put my time and emotions into. Taking the kids fishing, ball with the son and gymnastics with the daughter, more family time, home improvements. Hell, mowing the lawn is a better use of my time and less painful than watching faggity tater and his staff of dollar general discount returns.

Me too
I’ve always been quite the yard ape but it’s now rapidly approaching obsession level.
My 4 year old grandson is coming over to spend the night tonight and this is where my passion goes.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@Durty South Swamp I get and share your frustration with football and to a lesser extent basketball. (Billy D was special and I can’t expect NCs. I set that bar at making the tournament regularly and the Sweet 16 is a very good year.)

In other men’s sports, we’ve won 8 NCs in the last 10 years, including our only-ever in baseball and men’s tennis. I doubt many programs can top that. But we don’t go to track, golf, tennis etc. I would if I lived in Gainesville. But I don’t and those are rarely broadcast.

But to revive your interest and dispel the gloom a bit, I suggest to focus less on the staff and take interest in the players as more than a means to an end. It’s easier to cheer for Mertz, for example, knowing who he is. Lagway too.

Case in point:

I’m old enough that I suffered through the 70’s, and I was a student when we rose in the early 80’s only to see everything snatched away and demolished. Then came SOS. We ought to contend for the SEC every year. We’ve gone from “Wait til next year!” To “Remember when…” But I’ve never lost that sense of being with and behind the players. That’s getting rocked by the portal, but it’s still the heart of my fandom.

“We suck” may be true, but it’s a lousy mindset when a team is trying to come together. I wouldn’t put up with it with my kids’ teams or anywhere else, honestly. It’s no way to lead or to be a team member. “In all kinds of weather,” right?

How many of those 8 championships you mentioned were won by Mouse Holloway and the track team?
6? 5 maybe?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We get mid tier coaches.
Not even mid. Mullen was UT's 15-17th choice on their 4th hire in like 9 years.

McElstain was a 30 year assistant with a record of sustained mediocrity.

Napier is a fuchsing clown that lasted 1.5 years as OC at Clemson and 1 at ASU and was passed over by Saban several times.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The real problem is that the administration doesn’t realize that there is a problem.
Revenues are up, all the coaches of the major sports are locked into long term contracts, and the Olympic sports teams are on the top of their games.

Fooley and Scottie are raking in hefty salaries and the athletics empire has tripled in size in the last few years.
What more could the simpleton fanbase expect?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
But we’re paying at that level. Certainly close enough to be in the ballpark. So it’s not as if we’re going dumpster diving for coaches. .
People forget.

We have been paying more than Alabama paid Saban since we fired Chimp, and have had two garbage coaches on the payroll the entire time. I think at one point we had three coaches getting paid.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
People forget.

We have been paying more than Alabama paid Saban since we fire Chimp and have had two garbage coaches on the payroll the entire time. I think at one point we had three coaches getting paid.

Exactly. It’s why I think guys like Matthews are being too swept up in the NIL aspect of our current problems. That is a self correcting problem and will soon fade dramatically. Our problems are we keep spending millions, tens of millions, on complete buffoons. The ETN(screw him, ftr) saga this offseason should tell us all we need to know.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We can bitch all we want, it changes nothing. I'm just a fan. I don't have any pull or say in anything. But I do urge those that do donate or do have the ear of anyone close to power, to blow their phones up. Spread it on social media.We have poor leadership up top. It starts with the uaa and the ad. They can't see big picture at all. Tennessee fans showed up to protest the shciano hiring and blocked it.
I'm not sure why there hasn't been more outrage with Scott stricklin. Not sure how billy Napier is still employed by us. Again, if you know anyone, I hope you voice how shcitty the fans feel about things. I'll keep complaining to the greeter at Walgreens about it. Hopefully we eventually break through.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Ten years ago I adopted the phrase "it is what it is" and things haven't changed in the least....

I no longer count down the days between the end of Spring practice and the first game....

I no longer count down the hours before the game every Saturday during the season...

I no longer build up expectations only to be miserably disappointed when things go as they have been going for the last dozen years.

I still take momentary pleasure from any success but never project that into continued or sustained progress as the last 2 coaches (Mullen and Karl) have been the worst 2 momentum killers in the history of my 55 years of watching CFB.

Rinse and repeat....

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
They can't see big picture at all. Tennessee fans showed up to protest the shciano hiring and blocked it
We celebrate every new garbage hire and attack anyone who notices the next hire is cut from the same cloth as the last morons.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We can bitch all we want, it changes nothing. I'm just a fan. I don't any pull or say in anything. But I do urge those that do donate or do have the ear of anyone close to power, to blow their phones up. Spread it on social media.We have poor leadership up top. It starts with the uaa and the ad. They can't see big picture at all. Tennessee fans showed up to protest the shciano hiring and blocked it.
I'm not sure why there hasn't been more outrage with Scott stricklin. Not sure how billy Napier is still employed by us. Again, if you know anyone, I hope you voice how shcitty the fans feel about things. I'll keep complaining to the greeter at Walgreens about it. Hopefully we eventually break through.

There is only one phone to blow up and that is President Sasse.
All other contacts are either unable to change anything or more likely they are part of the problem.

IF or when, Sasse decides that changes are needed he is the only one that can make it happen.
I have heard nothing from his office to suggest that he sees anything wrong.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I have heard nothing from his office to suggest that he sees anything wrong.
Mark down Oct. 5th after our record falls to 2-3 or 1-4, and the humiliation of UCF fans storming the field in front of a stunned sellout crowd.... I'm pretty sure he'll know it's a
trainwreck GIF

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator