The early signing day’s biggest winners

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Good article, and glad to see UF get a mention (finally):

https://theathletic.com/191242/2017...rgia-penn-state-clemson-florida/?source=email

Olson: The early signing day’s biggest winners

Now that the signing frenzy has slowed down and letters of intent are in, here’s a look at the winners that stand out from day one of college football’s first early signing period.

Georgia

If you want to compete with Alabama and Clemson for national championships year after year, you need to sign recruiting classes like this one. Georgia got everybody’s attention on Wednesday with a dominant day from start to finish. Kirby Smart and his staff landed the No. 1 class, according to 247Sports Team Composite Rankings, and have taken their game to another level in this cycle.

The Bulldogs kicked things off by landing five-star lineman Jamaree Salyer and four-star cornerback Divaad Wilson, a former Florida pledge. They held off Florida State for four-star running back James Cook, the younger brother of Dalvin Cook. And that was just the start.

Then Justin Fields, their five-star QB commit, stuck to his word and signed. And five-star lineman Cade Mays, a former Tennessee commit, picked Georgia. And five-star defensive lineman Brenton Cox picked Georgia over Alabama. And a few surprises arrived Wednesday night, when four-star corner Nadab Joseph flipped from Alabama and No. 5 ranked outside linebacker Channing Tindall announced his commitment.

In all, the Bulldogs locked up six five-stars on the day, all of them top-25 ranked prospects. One important piece to this puzzle in Smart’s eyes, in building a class to continue competing at the highest level: He signed a bunch of winners.

“The No. 1 stat for me is 10 of the 17 played for a state championship, seven won a state championship,” he said Wednesday. “So we’re really excited about this class.”

Clemson
Four of the nation’s top nine ranked recruits are calling Clemson their new home. How’s that for a statement on how far Dabo Swinney has brought this program?

The Tigers officially signed the nation’s No. 1 offensive player (quarterback Trevor Lawrence) and No. 1 defensive player (defensive end Xavier Thomas) in the 247Sports composite rankings. Those two have been on board for a long time and helped maintain this recruitment momentum all year. That momentum paid off Wednesday with commitments from No. 1 offensive tackle Jackson Carman and No. 2 ranked defensive end K.J. Henry.

“Christmas came a little early,” Swinney said.

Clemson beating out Ohio State for Carman, the top-rated recruit in Ohio, is a big deal, and Carman made that steal all the more fascinating with the comments he made to The Athletic’s Ari Wasserman on Wednesday.

The Tigers also added four-star back Lyn-J Dixon, a former Tennessee commit, to finish the day with 15 signees. Don’t be fooled by the smaller size of that class so far — eight of these signees are top-150 ranked prospects.

Texas
The “DBU” revival is coming soon in Austin after Texas signed an incredible class of defensive backs on Wednesday.

They already had B.J. Foster (No. 1 ranked safety) on board going into the day, along with Caden Sterns (No. 3 safety), Jalen Green (No. 4 cornerback), DeMarvion Overshown (No. 7 safety) and D’Shawn Jamison (No. 12 cornerback). All of those guys signed with zero drama. And then the Longhorns capped the day with Anthony Cook, beating out LSU and Ohio State for the No. 2 recruit in the state of Texas and the nation’s No. 5 corner.

“I don’t want to get into who’s ‘DBU’ and who’s not ‘DBU,’ but I would put our DB history among anybody in the country,” Texas coach Tom Herman said Wednesday. “I think (assistant coaches) Jason Washington and Craig Naivar have an unbelievable track record of developing talent.”

In their first full year of recruiting in Austin, Herman and his staff signed the top five recruits in Texas and a class that currently ranks No. 3 nationally. And the Longhorns aren’t close to done — Herman believes he’ll have up to 10 more spots still open in this class going forward.

Florida
Dan Mullen had to address the Gators’ less-than-exciting quarterback situation as soon as he touched down in Gainesville. And he quickly found and stole a guy capable of being Florida’s long-term solution: Emory Jones.

The No. 40 overall recruit had been committed to Ohio State since the summer of 2016. But the new Florida staff convinced Jones to take an official visit over the weekend and persuaded him to make the flip and become of the centerpiece of a class that’s still a work in progress.

After losing quarterback commit Matt Corral to Ole Miss last week, Mullen managed to find an even better prospect to replace him, one with more than enough talent to compete for the starting job immediately. Much will be expected of the Georgia native, no doubt.

“He's not just coming to play quarterback,” Mullen said. “He's coming to play quarterback at the University of Florida. A lot of responsibility comes with that.”

Penn State
The Nittany Lions finally sealed the deal for good with five-star DE Micah Parsons. Signing the nation’s No. 4 recruit and the top prospect in Pennsylvania required withstanding a whirlwind recruitment that included a decommitment from Penn State in the spring, a lot of visits elsewhere and a bizarre, rocky recruitment with Ohio State, who had to stop recruiting Parsons after he took a Snapchat photo with Kirk Herbstreit during his official visit that bizarrely violates NCAA rules.

Parsons’ pledge helped put Penn State at No. 4 in the class rankings. Coach James Franklin offered up one of the quotes of the day on finally winning that battle.

“You’re going to have to wait for the book,” Franklin said. “I’ve been doing this for 23 years, and the book will probably be five chapters on my career and 15 chapters on the ups and downs and the journey of Micah Parsons.”

Maryland
Let’s give Maryland coach DJ Durkin and his staff major props for bringing in top-25 ranked recruiting classes in each of the last two years. The Terps inked 22 players on Wednesday, and nearly all of their signatures were in by 8:30 a.m. ET. One big-name newcomer on that list: defensive lineman Byron Cowart. The No. 3 recruit in the class of 2015 signed with Auburn out of high school, then left after two years and went the JuCo route. He could be a serious steal for the Terps when he arrives in January with two seasons of eligibility.

Baylor
The Bears went 1-11 this season and then went out and signed a top-25 class Wednesday. Matt Rhule and his assistants did a really nice job evaluating talent in the state of Texas and have a 20-man group thus far that’s loaded with speed. They’ve signed an exciting quarterback to lead this group in four-star Gerry Bohanon out of Arkansas, and they successfully held off a lot of schools from poaching guys out of their class. This class has a chance to really expedite the rebuilding process at Baylor.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
I think Georgia picked up more 5 * yesterday then we have on our entire roster. They currently have 3 more 5* QBs than we've had since Driskel (yup he was a 5*) left.

Yikes!

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
UGA is doing a Bama in recruiting.

Kirby could suck and still win ten games with the talent he's pulling in.

Buckman2000

Oct 1, 2016
I think Georgia picked up more 5 * yesterday then we have on our entire roster. They currently have 3 more 5* QBs than we've had since Driskel (yup he was a 5*) left.

Yikes!
the beauty of it is they can only play one QB at a time. Fields is not going to sniff the field until Fromm is gone, which is probably another 3 years. By then, they’ll probably sign another QB that will be ok with the hand it off to the RB offense.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
UGA is doing a Bama in recruiting.

Kirby could suck and still win ten games with the talent he's pulling in.
And not many on this board are worried when they should be. Kirby ain't Muschamp or Richt he's got UGA rolling like we've never seen before. It's a must that Mullen turn this around quickly or we could quickly fall to far behind to catch up

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
And not many on this board are worried when they should be. Kirby ain't Muschamp or Richt he's got UGA rolling like we've never seen before. It's a must that Mullen turn this around quickly or we could quickly fall to far behind to catch up

Mullen can only be Mullen. Jones was huge for us but a small win in a much larger picture. You need those small wins first. It's a transition year so Mullen gets a pass on the overall ranking. What's crazy is Smart's transition class was ranked 9th. That pretty f ing amazing.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
Mullen can only be Mullen. Jones was huge for us but a small win in a much larger picture. You need those small wins first. It's a transition year so Mullen gets a pass on the overall ranking. What's crazy is Smart's transition class was ranked 9th. That pretty f ing amazing.
Yeah yesterday was a win big time and I agree you have to start small. I just worry if we can catch up to a point we compete with them yearly rather than once in a while. His class for next year looks just as strong as this one, hopefully Mullen becomes a recruiting power as well. I think it' possible

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Yikes!
Driskel wasnt a five star.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
what's wrong nole? things so screwed up under the big top so now you're going to try to jump on the Georgia train?

Seems like only yesterday when you were telling us Taggart was going to rule the world.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

It's ridiculous that you imply "not many" here are willing to acknowledge what uga is doing. It's been repeated over and over in multiple threads. We're just not going to share in your constant narrative of bashing UF or finding unique ways to praise our rivals.

And to your second comment about Smart not being Richt, to this point his 2017 season is nearly identical to Richt's second season('02). Richt's class that year was ranked #3, followed by a 6th ranking in 2003, on and on, and averaging 7th over a his career in Athens. That's not taking anything away from Smart, but we absolutely have seen this before.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
It's ridiculous that you imply "not many" here are willing to acknowledge what uga is doing. It's been repeated over and over in multiple threads. We're just not going to share in your constant narrative of bashing UF or finding unique ways to praise our rivals.

And to your second comment about Smart not being Richt, to this point his 2017 season is nearly identical to Richt's second season('02). Richt's class that year was ranked #3, followed by a 6th ranking in 2003, on and on, and averaging 7th over a his career in Athens. That's not taking anything away from Smart, but we absolutely have seen this before.
Im not saying people have not acknowledged what UGA has done im saying a lot are acting as if they are not at all worried at how well things are going.

I wasn't talking about his recruiting abilities I'm more talking about the fact that he can actually coach his teams up and that he's not a choke artist like Richt was. I think if we can get things rolling we could slow them down but if Mullen strugges the 1st few years they could make it very hard to catch up.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Im not saying people have not acknowledged what UGA has done im saying a lot are acting as if they are not at all worried at how well things are going.

I wasn't talking about his recruiting abilities I'm more talking about the fact that he can actually coach his teams up and that he's not a choke artist like Richt was. I think if we can get things rolling we could slow them down but if Mullen strugges the 1st few years they could make it very hard to catch up.

As others have said, we only need to worry about UF. When we were recruiting at our best, no one had more talent than us, and only a handful were even in the discussion. I'm not worried about uga at all because it's moot. I may be pulling against them and wanting to see their momentum cooled, but I've seen us at our best vs them at their best. We win.

The bulldogs were pummeling teams in 2002, Richt's second year, and finished #2 in the nation. The argument was "wait until he really gets rolling". Looking back, he and uga never recaptured that. That's why I make the Richt comparisons. Their first two seasons are nearly a mirror image of each other. I'm not saying Smart doesn't look like he's going to be a force to deal with. But we could've made the same argument about Richt to this point.

And I do agree that if Mullen struggles we'll fall behind. But I'm not sure what more the guy could've done to this point. Several national sites have already commended him for his staff and the moves they made in under a month. This is also the primary recruiter for numerous big names when he was here from '05-'08. So again, no legitimate reason to be worried. Take care of the things we need to take care of, as we have in the past, and we'll be fine.

Woodroe

Sir Knowitall
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Im not saying ....................... im saying ......................I wasn't talking about ......................... I'm more talking about the fact ....................

If I had to explain, take back, clarify, justify, rationalize and prevaricate every single thing I typed, I'd think a lot harder before I typed.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I ain't scared of no damn jawja bulldogs! They're short and bow-legged and ugly! And they all have butt breath for some strange reason.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Some are out there still trying to sell the "wait till Taggart has some time he's going to own the state" mantra.

ok.

Mr 7-5 (at best) in the Sunbelt.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's an exciting and dangerous time for our new QB commit. So much opportunity and the lofty expectations of Gator Nation weighing on his shoulders.

Mullen would do well to ease him in gradually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator