The National Signing Day Thread

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Can someone remind me of the name of the trophy Georgia gets for having the top "rated" recruiting class?

Kirby Smart may be the next Belichick but he's currently 1-1 against Jim freakin' McElwain. UF has won 3 of the last 4 against Georgia even with two lousy coaches in charge.

I despise UGA, their logo, their colors, Larry Munson, Erk Russell, Buck Belue, the phrase "hunker down" and grown women barking like dogs.

Yes, they had a good season and a good signing class but the jury is still out on Smart as an in-game coach and whether they are the "new Bama". Based on principle I will not come on a Florida message board and sing the praises of the so-called mighty Dogs.

Let me know when they have a streak of 18--3 against the Gators. Maybe then I'll acknowledge their greatness.

Preach it, brother. Can’t stand them Dawgs and refuse to give them credit for anything. I think they will be seeing a lot of transfers out in a couple of years.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
The UGA envy is more than I can bear - I fear that I just cannot stand the strain. Look, all the hossanas extoling the virtues of Smarty pants and the butt-lickers is very impressive, yada, yada, yada. I don't have to read some detailed account about all the wonderfulness going on in Dawgville. They're killing it right now and there's no doubt about it. Does it possibly affect our long-term outlook? Maybe, maybe not. As has been stated before by others, Smart has done a lot - he has also tripped on his own shoe laces in at least two of the biggest games of his life. Do I respect what he's done? Of course. Am I going to live in fear of the Dawgs, or anyone else for that matter? Not no, but HELL NO.

Some here started off with a similar outlook to the one I had at first, on the DM hire (disappointment, concern, etc., etc.). Well guess what, I've actually watched DM come into our shambles of a program and start the laborious process of picking up the pieces and making something better out of what was a catastrophic mess. To this point, I believe he is doing a really good job - I also now believe that many of my concerns were based on not getting either of the two "front-runners." Some talk about "Kirby's big plan" in hushed tones of dread and awe. I'm calling BS. We are so far down from what WE ARE CAPABLE OF, that wringing our hands about the success of others is a pointless waste of time and energy. It also serves to distract from the positives that have grown out of a hire that I am warming up to very nicely thank you. Anyone who can't see that Dan has his own damn plan, needs to pull his head out UGA's butt and start paying attention - or just go be a Dawg fan.

Last edited:

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I grew up the only Gator in a large extended family of UGA fans during the Dooley years. Lots of cousins and uncles, all obnoxious when winning. I used to get a half dozen sympathy cards in the mail the week after the WLOCP, filled with their so-called attempts at humor ("sorry for your loss", etc.). Holiday gatherings were no fun. The wounds run deep. Thankful for Spurrier turning the tide.
I feel your pain - and your hatred for those rotten mutts. It reflects my own very closely.

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
The entire program has been in the shytter for an eternity and some think a 2019 class rank outside the top 3 or 5 indicates failure?

SCColaGator

Dec 31, 2016
On the inevitability of UGA's perpetual dominance.

I remember when not so long ago we were pulling in classes like UGA's past classes. We were amazing, losing to Georgia Southern, Scoring 10 points per game. Sure UGA played at a high level last year but that does not guarantee they will continue to dominate. Three years ago UGA was fit to become the next Tennessee. We laughed when they hired Muschamp 2.0.

Point being. Relax. Either Mullen can or Mullen cannot. We will know quickly. I for one think he will. Watch his games at MSU vs concurrent opponents last year (UK, A&M and LSU). Watch their game against Bama. One of the big reasons they lose is lack of talented depth. UF will not have that problem.

UGA is our B*$&h. So Spurrier said and so it will be.

Have faith. Go Gators

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The bottom line is we need to win our fair share of the state. Gouraige, the #19 ranked recruit in the state of Florida, was our highest ranked recruit (yes, some of the kids were IMG out-of-state kids that count as Florida HS kids - which is BS, btw). But the point stands.

Let's get our share of the top 25-30 FL kids...sprinkle in a few inside the top 60 and we should be fine.

Win the state...win championships!

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
The bottom line is we need to win our fair share of the state. Gouraige, the #19 ranked recruit in the state of Florida, was our highest ranked recruit (yes, some of the kids were IMG out-of-state kids that count as Florida HS kids - which is BS, btw). But the point stands.

Let's get our share of the top 25-30 FL kids...sprinkle in a few inside the top 60 and we should be fine.

Win the state...win championships!

Agreed. We have seen how the pendulum swings over the years. It’s coming our way. The kids will want to be part of the next big thing. I think the 2019 class will be great and more importantly it will be very strategic. We will clean up weaknesses and depth in a major way. Also think we see a lot of big OL and DL flocking to the Swamp.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I hate em more. Tyler Clark, Roquan Smith, Fromm, Quay Walker are all from my county or a neighbor. :law:
I sat in a near-freezing downpour at the old Gator Bowl in 1968 and watched the most hate-worthy Dawg of all times (VD) run up a 51-0 humiliation of my beloved Gators - for a cheap laugh. I was watching when Tim Grove "fell down" for no apparent reason and thus allowed Linsey Scott to elect himself to the "Florida's most hated hall of fame." I watched the mutts celebrate like a bunch no-class ninnies during one of their rare wins of recent decades. I watched Dooley help to deny UF their first SEC title after having his ass handed to him on the field. And last but not least, having grown up in Jax before the Spurrier as HC era, I've watched their crass, witless, white-trash fan base act like the scum they are, on too many occasions to recount. My loathing of that program is old and deep. I will never forget and I will never forgive.

Last edited:

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This probably has been stated already, but this cannot be emphasized enough. Mullen's transition class is without a doubt better than any of McElwain's three classes. The star average is higher than all of McElwain's classes, and if you include the 2 transfers, this class has more 4 star players than any of McElwain's classes.

I was critical of the Mullen hire and still have some doubts, but so far he is doing an outstanding job compared to our previous two moron head coaches. Next year's class is when we'll really know how well Mullen can build this program, but again he is meeting all expectations so far. Yesterday was a good day for Florida football. We need more of those.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
That IS the reality. UGA and FSU are stellar recruiters and have been for years. They just don’t win NC’s very often as a result of it. FSU should be in the middle of a freaking dynasty right now. They’re not. 5-star U went 7-6 last year. Georgia should have won one this year but they did what they do. The moment is always too big for them. Always has been. Now Miami is Richting.....huge recruiting cycle...already disappointing their fans down the stretch of big games.

I know what Mullen’s history was in big games somewhere else. I know what Mullen’s record in big games at Florida was. Good thing for us is he won’t be playing with Mississippi State’s lineup over here. I suspect he just might perform better with our guys over the next 3 years.

Again I remind you....those that win NC’s have huge recruiting cycles.....but not everybody that has huge recruiting cycles win’s NC’s. UGA and FSU are exhibits A and B.

I’m also not convinced that we cannot win one if Mullen pulls a #6 or #8 next year.... doesn’t necessarily have to be 1-5. Get the right guys in the right spots strategically.... we could be NC’s by year 3.

I will crown Kirby when he does what Saban does. Until then he is a super salesman. Appears to be a good man, great recruiter, cares for his players but I’m not sure he won’t shrink on the biggest stage.

No I did not want Mullen. Yes I am very pleased with his performance so far. Enthusiasm, energy, work ethic, recruiting, setting high expectations, rebuilding culture within. Now lets give him a chance to coach.

He strikes me as a homosexual.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Whether that definitely will happen and how soon if so remains to be seen, but again, you have to appreciate what he has brought thus far, particularly compared to what we've been getting. I feel like a measure of pride was restored yesterday.

You nailed it, as usual. People looking at what other programs are doing do not seem to appreciate what an abject mess we are at the moment. We got key guys with talent at positions we desperately need it. I would have loved a full class but not at the expense of dead weight. In my opinion this is an obvious deference between this staff and both the previous ones. I'm not an insider by any means, but I'm hearing good things from friends much closer to the program than I am.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
I sat in a near-freezing downpour at the old Gator Bowl in 1968 and watched the most hate-worthy Dawg of all times (VD) run up a 51-0 humiliation of my beloved Gators - for a cheap laugh. I was watching when Monty Grow "fell down" for no apparent reason and thus allowed Linsey Scott to elect himself to the "Florida's most hated hall of fame." I watched the mutts celebrate like a bunch no-class ninnies during one of their rare wins of recent decades. I watched Dooley help to deny UF their first SEC title after having his ass handed to him on the field. And last but not least, having grown up in Jax before the Spurrier as HC era, I've watched their crass, witless, white-trash fan base act like the scum they are, on too many occasions to recount. My loathing of that program is old and deep. I will never forget and I will never forgive.
I was there in '68. the "Year of the Gator." I hate Georgia. I hate Vince Dooley. I hate Playboy. Go Gators.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This is the part that I struggle understanding how some do not get. In that 2010/2011 era, there wasn't a blue-chip prospect in the country that didn't at least have a measure of interest in UF, purely because of the animal we'd become. Almost the exact opposite of recent years. Look at how many names suddenly became possibilities once Mullin started pounding the pavement. We've been an afterthought for close to a decade, lacked the balls and drive to go after the best, and as a result have a severely tarnished brand. Comparing our current situation to following Richt, Fisher or Meyer in their respective departure years is absurd.
We've freaking owned Georgia for 2 decades, especially when richt was there. You bet ur ass i expect to recruit as good as uga.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I sat in a near-freezing downpour at the old Gator Bowl in 1968 and watched the most hate-worthy Dawg of all times (VD) run up a 51-0 humiliation of my beloved Gators - for a cheap laugh. I was watching when Monty Grow "fell down" for no apparent reason and thus allowed Linsey Scott to elect himself to the "Florida's most hated hall of fame." I watched the mutts celebrate like a bunch no-class ninnies during one of their rare wins of recent decades. I watched Dooley help to deny UF their first SEC title after having his ass handed to him on the field. And last but not least, having grown up in Jax before the Spurrier as HC era, I've watched their crass, witless, white-trash fan base act like the scum they are, on too many occasions to recount. My loathing of that program is old and deep. I will never forget and I will never forgive.

Heartfelt.

F the Dawgs and their recruiting class.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
Watched this thread during signing day. It was sure funny. Reminded me just a tad of the Chip Kelly hire thread. Overall happy with signing day results. Glad he is already working on 2019 class. Now let's Go Gators!

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
BTW leghumpers are having a meltdown over the Mullen quote pissing on them. Hope he does not eat those words this year. I find it really hard to believe that we will beat them, but it sure will be nice!

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Evan McPherson now listed as the number 1 (not number 2) Kicker on Rivals. I'll take that 3 star any day.

Malik Langham mentioned as the most notable riser in the Strongside Defensive End category.

Emory Jones took the honors of notable Dropper in the Duel Threat QB category dropping from the second to 6th thanks in no small part to the domestic abusing Nole lowlife Deion Slanders.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not just knocking you, rather everyone that was complicit in disparaging this kid's mom. Grow the fu@k up! Who are any of you to judge her reaction in such a manner? In the heat of the moment she overreacted. But like any adult, she came back and was supportive of her child. We can't be a scumbag fan base like that. How do you think future recruits will feel about coming to a place where the fans may bash your parents even if you come here. I'm all for good humor, but this is just tasteless. I'm ashamed to say that we represent the same team.

We judged her by what we ourselves would not 'display' that way, on the kid's big stage. And who's to say that she didn't get a "talking to" by some outside mind and her return was by someone else's motivation, not by her spirit alone.

edit: I got home late from work and I'm just now catching up on the thread. I see this point has been made by several posters. Carry on...

He hasnt had anyone like Percy.
... I'm thinking this Watkins kid could be "Percy-like"??

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator