The "never punt" philosophy

Instigator

Sep 6, 2014
HBO Sports ran a segment on a high school coach who very rarely punts the ball. He had all sorts of statistics that showed the risk vs reward of "giving up possessions" favored going for it on 4th down, no matter the field position. He also kicks onside kicks most of the time using wild formations. It was a very interesting segment and the bottom line was that he is a winning coach and several NFL teams have contacted him to learn his strategies. Professional statisticians even backed up his philosophy

While I don't think his philosophy applied to the same extreme could work in the SEC, and the numbers don't consider human emotion/momentum, I do think we could be much more aggressive with 4th down attempts. Not only does it make sense to try for points whenever possible, it gives the offense a much needed infusion of confidence. In watching the LSU game replay from last year, Muschamp had 2 opportunities to go for it on the opponents side of the field and went with the safe option (shocking, I know). It was sickening even though you felt that we had little chance of getting the needed yards with our junk offense.

I hope Mac will be much more aggressive, even if it means bad field position. I just don't know if all gator fans have the stomach for such risk? Has anyone seen his tendencies on 4th downs from CSU?

Go Gators!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He tends to go the normal route on 4th down.

Have ve you considered an avatar yet?

GatorUrf10

Newb
Aug 10, 2015
My favorite coach of all time would punt on 3rd down... I like an aggressive strategy. I think Meyer won a lot of games he maybe wouldn't have because of blocked punts/fake punts.

Have you considered two avatars yet?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting post. Even more interesting that you've been a member for a year, have posted 6 times, and still don't have an avatar. Ox is slacking.:headshake:

Instigator

Sep 6, 2014
Just to make everyone feel better, I'll add an avatar as soon as I figure out how to do so on my iPad and this tapatalk app....... I considered at least 3 options

Instigator

Sep 6, 2014
Did some research from the 2014 season....

Gators converted 8 of 15 4th down attempts - 53% success rate

CSU converted 5 of 14 4th down attempts - 35% success rate

Not much indicating Mac will be any more aggressive on 4th based on that.

But they converted 48% of 3rd downs to the Gators 36% --- optimally we don't have too many 4th downs

Will Muschamp

Orange and blue!
Jul 1, 2015
Instigator;n264732 said:
Did some research from the 2014 season....

Gators converted 8 of 15 4th down attempts - 53% success rate

CSU converted 5 of 14 4th down attempts - 35% success rate

Not much indicating Mac will be any more aggressive on 4th based on that.

Do you miss me, yet?

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Hal Mumme did this while he was at Kentucky during the late 90" s. I remember one game against us he continually went for it on 4th down no matter where he was on the field.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Instigator;n264724 said:
Just to make everyone feel better, I'll add an avatar as soon as I figure out how to do so on my iPad and this tapatalk app....... I considered at least 3 options

No-Excuses-child.jpg

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Will Muschamp;n264735 said:
Do you miss me, yet?

No, not really, was really hoping you came down with some sort of incurable disease that affected your midline.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Gator87;n264753 said:
No, not really, was really hoping you came down with some sort of incurable disease that affected your midline.

It's called dining out when you're over forty.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Statistics (depending on atmosphere, momentum, defensive effectiveness, and field conditions) probably favor going for it if beyond your own 45.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I think I saw this story quite a few years ago, but yes it almost seems foolproof.
Remember the LSU game a few years back during the Urbs regime? The Mad Hatter went 5 for 5 on 4th down and won.

I'd like to hear the arguments for why it won't work in the SEC though.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
threatmatrix;n264766 said:
I think I saw this story quite a few years ago, but yes it almost seems foolproof.
Remember the LSU game a few years back during the Urbs regime? The Mad Hatter went 5 for 5 on 4th down and won.

I'd like to hear the arguments for why it won't work in the SEC though.
SOS used to go for it on 4th at a much higher percentage than the other SEC coaches during his Florida reign. He didn't need any statistics other than saying something like "if we use 4 downs while the opponent only uses 3 that's a pretty big advantage for our offense".

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Never punting on 4th down is dumb. It needs no explanation. It is call "football" with the emphasis on "foot".

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
lagator;n264772 said:
SOS used to go for it on 4th at a much higher percentage than the other SEC coaches during his Florida reign. He didn't need any statistics other than saying something like "if we use 4 downs while the opponent only uses 3 that's a pretty big advantage for our offense".

Steve seemed to have 6th sense about when things would work. Plus, he had an extremely high level of personal confidence which carried through to the team.
Meyer, on the other hand would consult a spreadsheet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator