The silencing of Gator Growl....

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;n81954 said:
I remember Robin Williams created a stir when he made some joke about some front row administrator's kid spending too much time on her hobby horse.
:hehehe: I think we got Bob Hope again the following year.

Not only that but he borrowed someone's camera in the crowd and took a picture of Mr. Happy.

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Will someone explain the origin and significance of Gator Growl for those of us outside the lizard loop?

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It was the big pep rally before homecoming. The largest student-run event in the country, with pretty much the whole stadium packed. Aside from typical pep rally stuff like player intros, coach speech, firework and lasers, and student skits there were performances by top level entertainers such as Seinfeld, Cosby, Leno, Crystal, robin Williams, and a bunch more. Google it.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Alvin York;n82011 said:
Will someone explain the origin and significance of Gator Growl for those of us outside the lizard loop?

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Zambo;n82047 said:
It was the big pep rally before homecoming. The largest student-run event in the country, with pretty much the whole stadium packed. Aside from typical pep rally stuff like player intros, coach speech, firework and lasers, and student skits there were performances by top level entertainers such as Seinfeld, Cosby, Leno, Crystal, robin Williams, and a bunch more. Google it.

.Wikipedia article from Gator87

Amazing. I didn't know which begs the question how an event so unique and Gatorcentic erode over time?

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
Alvin York;n82088 said:
Amazing. I didn't know.

It begs the question how an event so unique and Gatorcentic erode over time?

Raising drinking age from 18 to 21 doesn't help.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Alvin York;n82011 said:

Did you read the article in the OP?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Alvin York;n82088 said:
.Wikipedia article

Amazing. I didn't know which begs the question how an event so unique and Gatorcentic erode over time?

Time, Money, Management,

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Dana Carvey was hilarious in 2009, and I don't remember him being that raunchy at all.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Evolve or die.

Homecoming is about getting alumni back to campus because that's what gets them to open up their wallets (and their wills).

You gotta figure out what will travel for, what will make them happy, and turn THAT into homecoming.

I've been to a lotta Growls...dating back to the paperball fight days. There hasn't been much (if any) evolution.

What are people into? Incorporate events that cater to those interests. There is no longer a one-size-fits-all. Homecoming involves the parade, Gator Gallop, Growl, and the game, as well as smaller events at the law school, the med school, etc. More smaller events could work.

People like food and wine festivals. Have an open-air one on the Plaza featuring different student groups showcasing their cuisine. The Lebanese Student Association can offer falafel, the Hispanic Student Association can sample sangria, the white kids and show off ramen noodles and box mac n cheese. Have an alumni-only TailGator BBQ Cook Off. Prizes for best ribs, best brisket, etc. It will bring in competitors, and will also bring in people who just want to eat it. Lots of people. Feature the winner on video at Growl. That's a big deal, lotta bragging rights.

For the Prius-driving pseudo-intellectuals who love watching a TED talk, open up Little Hall and have the professors give a series of 20 minute mind blowing lectures they can post about on social media and feel like they're better than their SUV-driving friends and neighbors.

Everybody wants to be part of something that goes viral. 80,000 people is a great start. Identify something. With that kind of head start...it will trend. Then people will remember for years that they started whatever stupid thing it was.

Lots of folks are into fitness. Gator Gallop is fun, but what about incorporating something a little more extreme, like those Spartan Races? Call it Gatorathalon. Male and female and student and alumni divisions. You can air part of it during Growl. People running is boring. People dragging logs through mud...that's interesting. Hell, it's gotta be more interesting than crowning a homecoming queen from whichever sorority's turn it is this year.

You gotta get them to show up, and when they leave, they need to leave feeling that is is great (and very special) to be a Florida Gator.

Alex.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
AlexDaGator;n82136 said:
The Lebanese Student Association can offer falafel, the Hispanic Student Association can sample sangria, the white kids and show off ramen noodles and box mac n cheese.
Racist.

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
AlexDaGator;n82136 said:
Evolve or die.

Homecoming is about getting alumni back to campus because that's what gets them to open up their wallets (and their wills).

You gotta figure out what will travel for, what will make them happy, and turn THAT into homecoming.

I've been to a lotta Growls...dating back to the paperball fight days. There hasn't been much (if any) evolution.

What are people into? Incorporate events that cater to those interests. There is no longer a one-size-fits-all. Homecoming involves the parade, Gator Gallop, Growl, and the game, as well as smaller events at the law school, the med school, etc. More smaller events could work.

People like food and wine festivals. Have an open-air one on the Plaza featuring different student groups showcasing their cuisine. The Lebanese Student Association can offer falafel, the Hispanic Student Association can sample sangria, the white kids and show off ramen noodles and box mac n cheese. Have an alumni-only TailGator BBQ Cook Off. Prizes for best ribs, best brisket, etc. It will bring in competitors, and will also bring in people who just want to eat it. Lots of people. Feature the winner on video at Growl. That's a big deal, lotta bragging rights.

For the Prius-driving pseudo-intellectuals who love watching a TED talk, open up Little Hall and have the professors give a series of 20 minute mind blowing lectures they can post about on social media and feel like they're better than their SUV-driving friends and neighbors.

Everybody wants to be part of something that goes viral. 80,000 people is a great start. Identify something. With that kind of head start...it will trend. Then people will remember for years that they started whatever stupid thing it was.

Lots of folks are into fitness. Gator Gallop is fun, but what about incorporating something a little more extreme, like those Spartan Races? Call it Gatorathalon. Male and female and student and alumni divisions. You can air part of it during Growl. People running is boring. People dragging logs through mud...that's interesting. Hell, it's gotta be more interesting than crowning a homecoming queen from whichever sorority's turn it is this year.

You gotta get them to show up, and when they leave, they need to leave feeling that is is great (and very special) to be a Florida Gator.

Alex.

Are you saying Danny Thomas, the Lebanese founder of St. Jude, is a non white? Huh?

OllieGator

Founding Member
Member....huh, huh, huh
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Zambo;n81889 said:
There are lots of comedians that are funny without being raunchy. Hell, we had SEINFELD at GG one year. Stephen Wright. Stuff like that. How about Brian Regan? Or, if you can't get a comedian then get a name brand musical group. BTW, the comedy doesn't have to be totally chaste like everybody over age 30 is some total prude, but just don't fill the air with nonstop blue language or xxx subject matter. Ya know it can be done.

I thought the Stephen Wright Growl was the best I had ever been to. We were laughing our asses off at Seinfeld but had no clue who he was under later.

Damn shame what's happened to the Growl. My brother worked setting up the fireworks every year in the north endzone so I got to hang back stage. Actually got to shake Leno's hand!

GatorGrad

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I cooked and served Bob Hope his meal when he was staying at the old Hilton right before he left for the Growl. I then got to the Growl on time in order to watch his show.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
[video=youtube;Bw6S2hzeE3Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw6S2hzeE3Q[/video]

LadyGator74

Sep 21, 2014
Was anyone there last night?? Would love to read your take on this new version of our beloved HComing tradition.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;n82704 said:
Louis CK would be a good Growl. Kids probably should stay home.

Does that not defeat some of the purpose for homecoming? Now I did not live in Fl when my children would have been old enough to go to homecoming, but if I did I would want them to get the entire experience. Having foul mouthed comics seems bad. Surely some can be funny without being foul mouthed and entertain everyone. Perhaps the new format will be successful, I hope so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator