The Success or Failure We Experience This Season COMPLETELY Hinges on the Play of...

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The Offensive Line. Well, not completely, but I think it's extremely important

It seems that during the course of every offseason in recent years, our Gators are seemingly working to overcome some varying degree of adversity. Whether it's increasing the production at the wide receiver position or improving the consistency of our quarterback play, there is always at least one MAJOR issue that fans hope will be remedied before the actual bullets start to fly. This year, I think that issue is our offensive line.

I will preface this by saying that there is a very small body of work to support this claim as the media is only allowed to observe so many reps in practice sessions. That being said, based on everything I've read and seen thus far, the play of the offensive line has not been up to par, particularly at the Guard positions. In the most recent article I've come across, it was noted that the O-line was not getting much push up front in the running game. Again, the media is only allowed so much access to these practices and the guys may have just been having a bad day or sequence of reps, but nonetheless, this is alarming. If teams do not respect the run against us, we have absolutely no chance of developing a balanced offense or a team with a competent passing attack.

While I feel pretty optimistic about the bodies we have at the tackle position, I'm more than a little concerned about the guard and center positions. I have a hard time believing we will be a competitive football team IF we aren't able to run the ball like we did in 2012. We haven't had any truly dominant interior lineman since the Pounceys were on campus. I'm not sure we have any guys of that caliber on the roster and it won't be pretty if we have to throw a True Freshman out there without any time to develop or learn the playbook. I think one of our quarterbacks will step up for us and I think we'll get solid play from our wide receivers, but I'd be lying if I said that the middle of our line doesn't scare me to death.

So, if the season started tomorrow, what starting five on the O-line would you feel MOST comfortable with?

Jand3k

I Don't Re Member
Sep 12, 2014
The o-line play/ability has been our problem for about 3 or 4 years and is the reason that our running and passing have been down or inept in each of the seasons you mention.

So it is definitely something that our success completely hinges on THIS coming year.

However, I think retaining Summers was extremely important and a very smart move by Coach Mac. It will enable our starting 5 to be very, very good and capable. But just one single injury to that group will render our o-line unit, running back corpse and receiving groups to be middle-of-the-pack effective. Only efficient and creative play calling will be able to mask/hide this situation.

Having a very strong defense will become even more important to the Gators success in this scenario.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So true! I just hope we don't have to rely on the defense to bail us out and keep us in ball games like last year. I think we will be solid on that side of the ball, despite our depth issues at linebacker. The guard situation freaks me out a little though. I don't think we're in good shape if a converted defensive lineman (Riles) is in the mix to start at one of the guard positions. He may be fine, but we haven't had a ton of success with converted players in recent years.

I hope Martez Ivey is as good as advertised at OT when he gets on campus. That may give us flexibility to move a guy like Rod Johnson inside. I also think Travaris Dorsey will eventually be a player for us inside. I imagine Trip Thurman will probably start inside once he gets healthy, but I hope to see some combination of this lineup before the year is over:

OT - Sharpe
OG - Dorsey
C - Dillard
OG - Johnson
OT - Ivey

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
For the better part of 20 years, sans a couple, you can bet on the UF O-line whiffing on blocks multiple times in a game and then seeing the O-lineman chasing his unblocked man into the backfield. I have never seen a team more consistently not even block a defensive lineman even when he is lined up right over the O-lineman. I have never seen an O-line double or triple team a guy only to let one or two defenders run free. I have never seen an O-line not understand the concept of passing guys off, etc. I have determined it is all in the jersey, b/c this stuff happens weekly regardless of what the names on the jerseys are and who the O-line coach is or has been. Not counting sacks, I would love to know the number of running plays that UF has had for zero or negative yardage vs. our opponents.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The OL is definitely the first answer here. The ability to open holes and protect the QB makes a huge difference and bad Oline play can make a great offense look horrible.

To add to this.. I think QB and WR play are also going to be key this year. A good QB who can read the defense and find the open man quickly can certainly help an Oline. If the QB makes quick and correct reads then the OL doesn't have to hold their blocks as long and it makes their job easier. The other key here are the WRs. I still think we need to see our WRs get more separation making it easier for the QB to make the read.

So basically... the season hinges on our offense.. like in previous years, but this time we have an offensive head coach who hopefully can get this team to show some improvement.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
FireFoley;n200811 said:
Not counting sacks, I would love to know the number of running plays that UF has had for zero or negative yardage vs. our opponents.

Then go do the research and find out for us.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n200818 said:
The OL is definitely the first answer here. The ability to open holes and protect the QB makes a huge difference and bad Oline play can make a great offense look horrible.

To add to this.. I think QB and WR play are also going to be key this year. A good QB who can read the defense and find the open man quickly can certainly help an Oline. If the QB makes quick and correct reads then the OL doesn't have to hold their blocks as long and it makes their job easier. The other key here are the WRs. I still think we need to see our WRs get more separation making it easier for the QB to make the read.

So basically... the season hinges on our offense.. like in previous years, but this time we have an offensive head coach who hopefully can get this team to show some improvement.

THIS. I know fans don't want to hear this, but it starts with running the ball. We have to get back to being able to wear down opponents with the run game, especially if we plan on running more of a pro-style offense. This will open up play action passes and allow the Coach Nuss and Mac to set up certain playcalls based on the look we show a defense. Basically, the passing game will be a lot more successful if teams have trouble consistently stopping our running game. It will make our QB and receivers look a lot better.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I know the O line wasn't great this past season but it did seem we had the fewest times that defenders came flying though untouched since 2010 because a linemen was confused on who to block etc.

Sgt. Schultz

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2015
It's not the offensive line, it's the entire offense. QB is a huge question mark, and that, not offensive line, is the most important position on a football team. Will Grier has not played a down and Treon Harris was only proficient on sandlot plays, i.e. run a go route and I'll heave it so you can run under it. Any other pass play that required timing or accuracy was a lost down. I'll remind you that, even with his failings, Harris beat out Grier, even though Grier had the advantage of being an early enrollee. Since there probably won't be a Spring game, we won't have a clue whether Harris has improved his accuracy or Grier can play at all.
At running back, UF has Taylor, who has been an average back, at best, so far at Florida. He had a good game against Georgia last year, and if you recall, it was one of those games where the Georgia's run defense failed to show up. The ESPN Spotlight on Taylor was very accurate describing Taylor. He has not come close to living up to the hype and s a shadow of his father. Adam Lane? He's played ONE game. Two four star running backs arrive this Summer. I say two because I doubt McGriff will qualify. Maybe one or both of them will be ready to play. As seen last year in college football, a true freshman running back can be great almost immediately. But that's potential, and UF doesn't have anyone at running back that's actually done anything on a consistent basis.
Tight end? UF has not a single player that has caught a pass at UF. The expectation is that McGee will be fine, but we won't know until a real game is played, and he still can't play this Spring. Also, McGee was never on any All-ACC team, and for those of you who think the ACC is so weak, that doesn't bode well. Maybe He'll be fine, but TE is a position that lacks any proven player, so it is a big question mark.
Receiver? What's that? Robinson looks great sometimes and disappears the next. Any football coach will tell you that consistency is the most important thing, not flashing here and there. Fulwood? He caught a pass in the bowl game, and he caught a pass that bounced off a defenders foot the year before, but other than that, what has he done? The rest receivers might as well be anonymous, has anyone ever heard their name in a game? The most notable thing Pittman did last year was talk trash against FSU and get a huge penalty. There's a reason that MCElwain moved Powell to wide receiver and has identified him as a playmaker. He watched film on UF's receiving corps and knew he had a big problem. Early enrollee Kalif jackson is a project. Maybe Calloway will be able to play when he arrives in the Summer.
Yes it's true that offensive line is a question mark, but so is the entire UF offense. I doubt we'll see any major improvement this year because of the lack of talented players. UF's offense has been bad for five years, it's going to take more than a new scheme and coaches to turn it around. When McElwain gets a quarterback that he wants, that will be the, as Churchill said, the end of the beginning. Until then I think UF's woes on offense will continue because of the lack of talent.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Unless Tyler Jordan or Brandon Sandifer can play right away it's going to be a ruff season. I for one am trying to be optimistic and hoping for the best but I also see that we're basically f*cked!

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sgt. Schultz;n200877 said:
It's not the offensive line, it's the entire offense. QB is a huge question mark, and that, not offensive line, is the most important position on a football team. Will Grier has not played a down and Treon Harris was only proficient on sandlot plays, i.e. run a go route and I'll heave it so you can run under it. Any other pass play that required timing or accuracy was a lost down. I'll remind you that, even with his failings, Harris beat out Grier, even though Grier had the advantage of being an early enrollee. Since there probably won't be a Spring game, we won't have a clue whether Harris has improved his accuracy or Grier can play at all.
At running back, UF has Taylor, who has been an average back, at best, so far at Florida. He had a good game against Georgia last year, and if you recall, it was one of those games where the Georgia's run defense failed to show up. The ESPN Spotlight on Taylor was very accurate describing Taylor. He has not come close to living up to the hype and s a shadow of his father. Adam Lane? He's played ONE game. Two four star running backs arrive this Summer. I say two because I doubt McGriff will qualify. Maybe one or both of them will be ready to play. As seen last year in college football, a true freshman running back can be great almost immediately. But that's potential, and UF doesn't have anyone at running back that's actually done anything on a consistent basis.
Tight end? UF has not a single player that has caught a pass at UF. The expectation is that McGee will be fine, but we won't know until a real game is played, and he still can't play this Spring. Also, McGee was never on any All-ACC team, and for those of you who think the ACC is so weak, that doesn't bode well. Maybe He'll be fine, but TE is a position that lacks any proven player, so it is a big question mark.
Receiver? What's that? Robinson looks great sometimes and disappears the next. Any football coach will tell you that consistency is the most important thing, not flashing here and there. Fulwood? He caught a pass in the bowl game, and he caught a pass that bounced off a defenders foot the year before, but other than that, what has he done? The rest receivers might as well be anonymous, has anyone ever heard their name in a game? The most notable thing Pittman did last year was talk trash against FSU and get a huge penalty. There's a reason that MCElwain moved Powell to wide receiver and has identified him as a playmaker. He watched film on UF's receiving corps and knew he had a big problem. Early enrollee Kalif jackson is a project. Maybe Calloway will be able to play when he arrives in the Summer.
Yes it's true that offensive line is a question mark, but so is the entire UF offense. I doubt we'll see any major improvement this year because of the lack of talented players. UF's offense has been bad for five years, it's going to take more than a new scheme and coaches to turn it around. When McElwain gets a quarterback that he wants, that will be the, as Churchill said, the end of the beginning. Until then I think UF's woes on offense will continue because of the lack of talent.

Didn't read a single word. Too much blah, blah, blah from a nole troll. Feel sad for you. I don't waist a single second on some crap hole nole board. But you can't get enough of this place. You must be one of those noles that got rejected by UF.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Attachments

• conv_2850.gif
    conv_2850.gif
    1.8 MB · Views: 27

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Marianna said:
Unless Tyler Jordan or Brandon Sandifer can play right away it's going to be a ruff season. I for one am trying to optimistic and hoping for the best but I also see that we're basically f*cked!

I agree. I think this year hinges on not just the play of the o-line but of the true freshmen. They will play significant time this year whether they are ready or not. I am getting the feeling that this may be a more disappointing year just due to lack of depth at certain positions. Thanks muschump, we appreciate it. :gah:

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Yes, there are a lot of question marks on offense aside from the O-line. But, I think we have the potential to be a really good team with good O-line play. Aside from the blowout loss to the Tide and the flukish nightmare that was the Mizzou game, I seem to recall that we we had a good chance to win every game last year, we just didn't finish in the 4th quarter. That tells me that the talent gap isn't as crazy as we may think.

And responding to what Marianna said, I don't think Sandifer will be ready this year. He's a big, strong kid and has ideal size, but he doesn't particularly appear to move very well and may struggle against the strength of SEC defensive lineman. I think Nick Buchanan is the best interior prospect that we got in the 2015 class, but he still probably needs to add some weight before he contributes. Jordan may see the field early, but I see him as more of a Center. I think he will be a leader at that position for us in the coming years.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Heavy, you need to post more. Where have you been?

Sgt. Schultz

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2015
Forget about true freshmen making a difference on the offensive line, it rarely ever happens. It doesn't matter how many stars they have, it's a huge transition to college, which is why almost all of them are redshirted. Perhaps Ivey can contribute like Humphries or Sharpe did as true freshmen, when both got their feet wet, but weren't guys you relied on. That's playing tackle, where the learning curve is not as steep as on the interior of the line. A tackle is mainly out on an island and one on one, not nearly as difficult as an interior lineman who must communicate well. true freshman at center? That's a sure way to get your QB killed, so i'd forget about Jordan. The hope is that Thurman will be able to play in the Fall, but there's no reason to be optimistic that he'll ever suit up again.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
FireFoley;n200811 said:
Not counting sacks, I would love to know the number of running plays that UF has had for zero or negative yardage vs. our opponents.

I'd like to know that too. It does seem to happen quite a lot.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
All you people complaining about the Sgt only make him stronger. Ignore is a powerful tool. In order to get rid of the troll, don't feed him. He'll move on when he gets hungry for attention.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n201016 said:
All you people complaining about the Sgt only make him stronger. Ignore is a powerful tool. In order to get rid of the troll, don't feed him. He'll move on when he gets hungry for attention.

So we do the same for T?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.