There are five can't-miss players in the Draft. Fowler Jr. is one of them. - CBS

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;216395 said:
When was the last the Jags hit on a DE? I still believe they will take Cooper over Fowler but I believe they could do no wrong picking either one.

Other than Harvey have they drafted any defensive end in the first round? Not trying to be a smart ass, I really don't know. I know that they drafted a lot of wide receivers in the first round.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n216399 said:
Other than Harvey have they drafted any defensive end in the first round? Not trying to be a smart ass, I really don't know. I know that they drafted a lot of wide receivers in the first round.

Yeah, I am not sure about the DE's being drafted. But them picking up WR's constantly goes more to showing they would take Cooper over Fowler.

WDCGator

The Gentleman from D.C.
Nov 20, 2014
GatorJ;n216392 said:
WDCGator;216197 said:
Good list, but I don't know about taking Mariota with the first pick. He's one heck of a college QB, but these spread-offense QBs rarely transition well to the next level. I don't know why some of these experts continue to pick these guys, but it happens every single year, and they all end with the same results. They're at a severe disadvantage. If I'm a GM who is looking for my QB, I'm looking at a guy like Mannion, Carden or Halliday. I think Winston is the most pro-ready due to his ability to run that pro-style system well at FSU, but I wouldn't touch him as I worry about his emotional maturity. You can take a risk on a guy like that if he's a RB, WR or DB, but your QB is the CEO of your company, and you want him to be a high-character person. He screwed himself out of millions and a shot at the first pick. [/QUOTE

I agree with everything you said. Another thing that I would be worried about with Winston (aside from the off field decision-making) Is his on field decision-making when under pressure. He threw a lot of picks this year. And that was in the weak A-She-She.

I think if he's in the right system, Fowler can become a perennial pro bowler. The jags haven't hit on a wide receiver since probably Jimmy Smith. Blackmon is really good but he's a PR mess.

Winston definitely regressed last year, but I think it was because he was asked to do far more with less. They had a very young squad last year. I think his RS Freshman season is more indicative of what he can do. Either way, none of it will mean anything if he doesn't grow up and get his act together.

I agree with you 100 percent about Fowler. It's about time the Jags have something good happen to them. They've suffered for far too long!

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n216399 said:

1997 - Wynn from ND was taken in the 1st round

Going backward, here's the Jags DE draft history:
2014 - Smith from Arky - 5th round
2012 - Branch from Clemson - 2nd round
2010 - Hart (Cent. Ark.) and Lane (Murr. St.) - 5th round
2008 - Harvey - 1st round; Groves (Barn) 2nd round
I'll stop there, but in case anyone forgot, Bobby McCray 7th round in 2004.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorBart;216433 said:
1997 - Wynn from ND was taken in the 1st round

Going backward, here's the Jags DE draft history:
2014 - Smith from Arky - 5th round
2012 - Branch from Clemson - 2nd round
2010 - Hart (Cent. Ark.) and Lane (Murr. St.) - 5th round
2008 - Harvey - 1st round; Groves (Barn) 2nd round
I'll stop there, but in case anyone forgot, Bobby McCray 7th round in 2004.

Shows why they're a mess defensively. Pass rushers are almost as important as quarterbacks in the league. And they don't even spend any time trying to find elite ones. Although Quinton Groves was pretty damn good. I think that they probably viewed him as a steal in the second round.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n216438 said:
Shows why they're a mess defensively. Pass rushers are almost as important as quarterbacks in the league. And they don't even spend any time trying to find elite ones. Although Quinton Groves was pretty damn good. I think that they probably viewed him as a steal in the second round.

Maybe they got gun shy after the Harvey bust. But they definitely have a history of not taking DEs in every other draft or so and very rarely in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd rounds. Yep, not much importance put on the position. Wobs may onto something with predicting Cooper (a target for Bortles) over Fowler.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
WDCGator;n216414 said:
I think his RS Freshman season is more indicative of what he can do
:rotfl: You think the dB's in the pros are going to be slower than ours or the ones in the ACC?

You're so obvious. Hate Tebow but love Rapeis and EJ Interceptionuel.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I read earlier this year that he expects the Jags to take him, but if they go with Williams or Cooper instead, Dante will still be just fine. Very possible that if the Jags pass on him, a team could trade up to snag him since he's a lock to go within the top 7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.