They tore down the Porpoise

ppinesgator

Founding Member
aka "Biggums"
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Were you cooking between 1982 and December of 1986?
We would hit CJs a lot...
When I worked at Rock 104 I promoted a local area band called Spoiled Brat. We did a show at the Florida Theater ('85) and maybe 30 people showed up.
But they rocked it... and we went to CJs after the show where the drummer proceeded to dump a full pitcher of beer over my head in celebration.
Hooked up later that night and we were walking to her apartment across this huge field across the street from CJs where there is massive retail these days.
Got horizontal and she ran her fingers through my 'beer-do' and that pretty much killed the mood... long walk back to CJs.

The guys apparently got in trouble for taking this picture in the rear of the building where CJs was located:

$T2eC16hHJIYE9qUcQYTmBRYvtuyGt!~~60_35.JPG

The 80's... Big Hair - Good times...

Wait, I just had a memory induced hemorrhage..... I knew one of the owners of CJ's, who drove a 911. His last name was Wolfe (can't remember his first name) and I remember this because his wife's name was Maria Wolfe. A VERY hot woman. She was besties with an old girlfriend of mine.

I had a $250 tab a CJ's! The owner Wolfe gave it to me in exchange for a directional road sign to Cresent Beach. I acquired that sign under some very suspicious circumstances. It might still be hanging in CJ's. If so, my initials are etched on it.

I milked that $250 for two semesters. The glory of being able to go to CJ's and tell the waitress to "put it on my tab" must have got me lucky a half dozen times.

ppinesgator

Founding Member
aka "Biggums"
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
There were a couple of other places that popped into my head.

Brown Derby - way out SW13th - huge place. Finally closed in '94.

Copper Monkey - I think that's still there.

A couple of my frat brothers started a pizza chain called Gumby's Pizza. Lots of free pies after that.

Some place on University - kind of upscale on the same side of the road as Leonardos... something like Julians or Lillians or something.
Double date one night there and I told my buddy..."hey, your date is wearing light brown underwear...just got a glimpse, - by accident of course."
He smiled and said..."she's commando tonight"...oops.

And the Holiday Inn at the corner of Univ and 13th had a bar - wasn't it called Stacks back in the 80s? Not sure.

There was also a great sub shop kind of near the original Skeeters called Hogan's Heroes...anyone remember that?
They had a contest where you enter to drink every type of beer they had in 24 hours and if you did they would set you up with a special stein, picture on the wall and some type of deal on those subs. That shop reminded me of The Hobbit in Tallahassee... great sandwiches.

And a soul food place called Mama Lo's... picnic tables inside - old school with awesome southern cooking:
http://www.gainesville.com/article/20070405/GUARDIAN/70404038

Tuesday All You Can Eat Taco night at the Brown Derby! Unlimited margaritas.

The last time my friends and I went, we ended up going "curb surfing" on South Main Street in my roommate's VW Bug. In hindsight, not healthy. Not healthy.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
80's: Day drinking at Salty Dog....munchies at Joes Deli.....purple porpoise on game day.....sunday night nickel beer at CJ's.....rock at Dubs.....country at whiskey river....the islands.......2am breakfast at skeeters.....jazz at richenbachers......milfs at Lillian's and The Gathering......happy hour at brown derby.....more salty dog.....sizzler on archer. Drinking age was 18 then 19. Coeds everywhere in orange dolphin shorts. Good times.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Glad this thread was resurrected. Brings back lots of fond memories.

I loved going to Skeeters after the bars closed for the Asher special. Dunno how we didn't all get DUIs on that drive. Nobody was sober. You had as good a shot at getting a girl's number waiting in that long ass line to get in as you did in a bar.

Had a buddy who waited tables there (yes, in overalls and a straw hat). The hours were brutal and drunk, stoned, broke ass college kids aren't the best tippers.

I always enjoyed the entertainment at Skeeters. A dude with an acoustic guitar playing requests--like the theme song from Gilligan's Island, some Jimmy Buffet, and some American Pie because that's a long damn song and he didn't remember all the words.

ca3fc744d130a522e590990655500a08.jpg

Alex.

My first week in Gainesville, I got hammer-assed drunk and my roommates took me to Skeeters about midnight. I knew Skeeters because there was one in Daytona, and I knew what I was getting - The Asher Special. I don't know what it was named after, I just know that a heaping pile of hash browns, eggs, bacon and biscuits was exactly what I needed. When put in front of me I was ready...and then summarily did a face plant right into the plate.

My roommate, being a true friend, turned my head sideways so I didn't suffocate in hash browns. Bro move.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
80's: Day drinking at Salty Dog....munchies at Joes Deli.....purple porpoise on game day.....sunday night nickel beer at CJ's.....rock at Dubs.....country at whiskey river....the islands.......2am breakfast at skeeters.....jazz at richenbachers......milfs at Lillian's and The Gathering......happy hour at brown derby.....more salty dog.....sizzler on archer. Drinking age was 18 then 19. Coeds everywhere in orange dolphin shorts. Good times.
You covered everything! We probably ran into each other all the time! Specific memories are fuzzy though. :)

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
My first week in Gainesville, I got hammer-assed drunk and my roommates took me to Skeeters about midnight. I knew Skeeters because there was one in Daytona, and I knew what I was getting - The Asher Special. I don't know what it was named after, I just know that a heaping pile of hash browns, eggs, bacon and biscuits was exactly what I needed. When put in front of me I was ready...and then summarily did a face plant right into the plate.

My roommate, being a true friend, turned my head sideways so I didn't suffocate in hash browns. Bro move.
Skeeters biscuits and sausage gravy with a half a shaker of pepper. Never failed to (at least in my mind) sober me up (some) and prevent a hangover.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Another good place that we liked was tucked in the Butler Plaza... Ashley's Pub, which was really a Mexican restaurant, that had those ginormous margarita's that sat in the middle of the table with a soup ladle in it and you'd scoop it out to refill your glass.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
There were a couple of other places that popped into my head.

Brown Derby - way out SW13th - huge place. Finally closed in '94.

Copper Monkey - I think that's still there.

A couple of my frat brothers started a pizza chain called Gumby's Pizza. Lots of free pies after that.

Some place on University - kind of upscale on the same side of the road as Leonardos... something like Julians or Lillians or something.
Double date one night there and I told my buddy..."hey, your date is wearing light brown underwear...just got a glimpse, - by accident of course."
He smiled and said..."she's commando tonight"...oops.

And the Holiday Inn at the corner of Univ and 13th had a bar - wasn't it called Stacks back in the 80s? Not sure.

There was also a great sub shop kind of near the original Skeeters called Hogan's Heroes...anyone remember that?
They had a contest where you enter to drink every type of beer they had in 24 hours and if you did they would set you up with a special stein, picture on the wall and some type of deal on those subs. That shop reminded me of The Hobbit in Tallahassee... great sandwiches.

And a soul food place called Mama Lo's... picnic tables inside - old school with awesome southern cooking:
http://www.gainesville.com/article/20070405/GUARDIAN/70404038
Why yes, yes I do! Still have the t-shirt from when they sponsored our intramural flag football team in '92!
HH.JPG

lrtx1

Dec 2, 2014
Buffalo's on 34th and archer, 10 dollar all you could eat and drink wings and beer. Ashleys pub, the movie theater next to it where you could order beer. Couple laundery mats where you could order beer. CJs and the dugout behind it. Brick city music hall had a lot of good shows. Eddie Cs had some music. All the abc stores had a lounge. Gainesville was fun in the mid 90s.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I might add that the new place that replaced the PP is call "Social". It is actually really nice. Good food and TV's everywhere. Getting some great crowds when I have been in town. Definitely not a dive bar.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Another good place that we liked was tucked in the Butler Plaza... Ashley's Pub, which was really a Mexican restaurant, that had those ginormous margarita's that sat in the middle of the table with a soup ladle in it and you'd scoop it out to refill your glass.

Wow, I forgot all about Ashleys. That place was great. You really could have a place for every night of the week to hit a special and damn near eat/drink for pennies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator