They tore down the Porpoise

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Wing sauce is mostly butter and a cayenne pepper hot sauce like Crystal or Frank's. Farrah's wings were meaty and always fresh, but what put them over the top was they got the butter side of the wing sauce equation just right.
Alex.
Few people know this. I cooked a lot of wings at CJs and then was part of the original crew when Balls opened in '88.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
toss wings lightly in flour (maybe 1/4 cup for 3-4lbs of wings).. put them on a smoker at 300oF with a hint of applewood for about 45-60 (turn them at halftime).. toss in some franks wing sauce, sriracha, etc..

Better than any restaurant wing you'll eat.
smoked wings are the best

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah I buy a big batch of wings from Costco, soak them in a hot or sweet/spicy marinade, then throw them on my Traeger grill on medium heat for about 45 minutes to an hour. I make the sauce with about equal parts butter and cayenne pepper hot sauce, plus I mix in some garlic powder. Put the wings and sauce in a bowl with a lid, toss 'em until completely coated and serve 'em up. Super easy and delicious. Works great when you have guests over for informal stuff like football games.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
My wife found a chipotle bbq dry rub for wings. Probably my favorite wings seasoning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
One of these days I'm going to get around to buying the Joe's Deli shirt on here.
Awesome! I just ordered a shirt. Joe's was our last stop every Saturday night. #17 HamHero with extra potato salad. I don't know what it was about those sandwiches but they were delicious after a night of drinking.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Awesome! I just ordered a shirt. Joe's was our last stop every Saturday night. #17 HamHero with extra potato salad. I don't know what it was about those sandwiches but they were delicious after a night of drinking.
Sweet! The family always went on Sunday's after a game before we left for home. I was younger and didn't appreciate it as much as I did when they started closing.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Few people know this. I cooked a lot of wings at CJs and then was part of the original crew when Balls opened in '88.
Were you cooking between 1982 and December of 1986?
We would hit CJs a lot...
When I worked at Rock 104 I promoted a local area band called Spoiled Brat. We did a show at the Florida Theater ('85) and maybe 30 people showed up.
But they rocked it... and we went to CJs after the show where the drummer proceeded to dump a full pitcher of beer over my head in celebration.
Hooked up later that night and we were walking to her apartment across this huge field across the street from CJs where there is massive retail these days.
Got horizontal and she ran her fingers through my 'beer-do' and that pretty much killed the mood... long walk back to CJs.

The guys apparently got in trouble for taking this picture in the rear of the building where CJs was located:

$T2eC16hHJIYE9qUcQYTmBRYvtuyGt!~~60_35.JPG

The 80's... Big Hair - Good times...

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Some of you may recall that I mentioned during my guest podcast appearance that I worked at Joes Deli with Emmitt. Well I ran into Emmitt on my plane a couple weeks ago going from Orange Country to Vegas and I was able to pull him aside after we parked and shoot the breeze with him for a second. I had my Gator lanyard holding my crew ID and everything. He obviously didn't remember me but we had a good laugh about the whole Joes gig and the fight at my fraternity house that resulted in his suspension. Super nice guy still. Moving a little slow these days, I think he left a lot on the field after playing all those years.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Were you cooking between 1982 and December of 1986?
No that was just before my time. I worked there in 1987. Broke my arm in a motorcycle crash in the fall of 87 and had to quit. Then I started working at Balls when my arm healed.

ProcrastiGATOR

2019 GatorChatter March Madness Bracket CHAMPION!
Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2015
Was it the Porpoise or the GrogHouse that had 25 cent pitchers until the first person went pee? Some chick would always ruin it.
That was Grog House, they ended it because people started standing at the bar and peeing. LOL.

ProcrastiGATOR

2019 GatorChatter March Madness Bracket CHAMPION!
Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2015
Was the GM at BALLS from 2001-2015. Just paying my respects to an old BALLS original like yourself. ::hat tip

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Haha, thanks. I think Balls was the first place I'd ever seen that had a rubber floor.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
toss wings lightly in flour (maybe 1/4 cup for 3-4lbs of wings).. put them on a smoker at 300oF with a hint of applewood for about 45-60 (turn them at halftime).. toss in some franks wing sauce, sriracha, etc..

Better than any restaurant wing you'll eat.
Did this tonight. Used my butter and wing sauce and garlic powder mixture. Freaking delicious! That flour coating gave them just the right amount of crisp and the meat slid off the bone.
67204bc0f644ec52f459498a8353388a.jpg

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I love this thread. Keep talking folks. Wish I had some cool stories myself, but Im boring and mostly I studied. My very occasional trips to PP, The Swamp, Joes, and Leonardos never resulting in anything but decent to great food and a warm buzz after a fews beers. I wish I had gone to UF undergrad.

biggator6

Oct 2, 2014
Did this tonight. Used my butter and wing sauce and garlic powder mixture. Freaking delicious! That flour coating gave them just the right amount of crisp and the meat slid off the bone.
67204bc0f644ec52f459498a8353388a.jpg

Well done, sir.. looks tasty. Try tossing them in straight sriracha.. pretty damn good

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
There were a couple of other places that popped into my head.

Brown Derby - way out SW13th - huge place. Finally closed in '94.

Copper Monkey - I think that's still there.

A couple of my frat brothers started a pizza chain called Gumby's Pizza. Lots of free pies after that.

Some place on University - kind of upscale on the same side of the road as Leonardos... something like Julians or Lillians or something.
Double date one night there and I told my buddy..."hey, your date is wearing light brown underwear...just got a glimpse, - by accident of course."
He smiled and said..."she's commando tonight"...oops.

And the Holiday Inn at the corner of Univ and 13th had a bar - wasn't it called Stacks back in the 80s? Not sure.

There was also a great sub shop kind of near the original Skeeters called Hogan's Heroes...anyone remember that?
They had a contest where you enter to drink every type of beer they had in 24 hours and if you did they would set you up with a special stein, picture on the wall and some type of deal on those subs. That shop reminded me of The Hobbit in Tallahassee... great sandwiches.

And a soul food place called Mama Lo's... picnic tables inside - old school with awesome southern cooking:
http://www.gainesville.com/article/20070405/GUARDIAN/70404038

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.