Things to do/restaurants in Memphis

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I lived in E. Memphis and graduated from Overton High in 67. It was a great place to grow up during in those days.

Most of my friends live in Mid-Town. I've called Miami (Coconut Grove) home for the past thirty years.
Our neighbor across the street in Lakeland grew up not too far from there; she went to White Station. Shortly after we moved back to DC she and her fam moved to Mid-town, somewhere in the Gardens District. If we had been staying long term, that's where we would have lived.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014

"The Mississippi Delta begins in the lobby of The Peabody Hotel and ends on Catfish Row in Vicksburg. The Peabody is the Paris Ritz, the Cairo Shepherd's, the London Savoy of this section. If you stand near its fountain in the middle of the lobby... ultimately you will see everybody who is anybody in the Delta..." Where I Was Born and Raised David Cohn

Gator By Marriage mentioned the Peabody Hotel. If you're downtown you ought to walk into the lobby and spend a few minutes looking around.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
For any of you guys and gals that have been, any recommendations?
Obviously, Graceland is on my list but what else? I hear the BBQ is delish....staying there for the Ole Miss game and just decided to drive to and from Oxford

Bookmarking this thread (thanks for asking the question). Wife and I are wanting to make this the 'away game' next year as well.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
I used to go into and out of Memphis for work. It's not the greatest town, reminds me a lot of NOLA. Food scene is southern/soul food for the most part, lots of BBQ. I went through a lot of that in my travels. Plan on gaining some weight they feed ya there and I can't recall a lot of healthy options except maybe instant oatmeal at the Holiday Inn breakfast.

Interstate BBQ
BBQ is good. No real sides though and the service is crappy. Meh.

Charlie Vergil’s’ Rendezvous is a Memphis landmark. Basement restaurant with tons of memorabilia on the walls that specializes in dry rub bbq ribs. Open Thurs-Sat.
Location, location, location and great service and that's it. The Q is just ok, they don't smoke it over wood they use charcoal instead. My favorite thing there was the cole slaw.

So much better Q in Memphis than the mainstream restaurants. The guys up there took me to a gas station where an old dude had one of them drum smokers set up, best Q I ever had. Moist and it didn't need any sauce, and his sides were fantastic. His wife fried up some fantastic fritters also. Point is don't be shy, try something off the grid I bet it will be the best food you have while there.

Albert

Enormous Member
Aug 22, 2014
I’ve spent quite a bit of time there for work, as it was the center of the universe for my previous industry. That said, the barbecue at the Germantown Commissary is without equal IMO. Out of the way but worth it. If you’re into science and the weather is good I would recommend the Mud Island museum. The bar in the Peabody along with the Sunday champagne brunch are worthwhile as well. Also, if you’re south of Mid-town I would highly recommend concealed carry.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
Central BBQ is the best you’ll find, Rendevous is good and everyone should go at least once, but I go straight to Central now when im in town

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Central BBQ is the best you’ll find, Rendevous is good and everyone should go at least once, but I go straight to Central now when im in town
I probably ate at Central at least twice a month for about four years. When he was coaching at Memphis, we’d often see Calipari and his assistants there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator