Thoughts on Kelvin Taylor

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
rogdochar;n299857 said:
3.6 YPC is why I'd like to see Cronkrite and Scarlett get as many carries together that Taylor gets in a game i.e.
carries divided 3 ways of Cronkrite + Scarlett half the caries and Taylor the other half.
Sometimes I wish you got your wish, Jacob Guy or Josh Grady at QB and the Jordan's at TB just so we could say I told you so.

You don't think that fumbling the ball about every third or fourth carry and being completely useless in pass protection is a big deal? Why don't you get Mac on the phone and straighten him out.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
We all agree that the o-line is the main problem. We all agree that Taylor isn't an elite running back at this point. One positive thing I will say, he's been very good at punching it in for 6 in the redzone. Considering the redzone woes we've had the past 5 years I will definitely give him credit for that.

88drgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Swamped Gator;n299969 said:
We all agree that the o-line is the main problem. We all agree that Taylor isn't an elite running back at this point. One positive thing I will say, he's been very good at punching it in for 6 in the redzone. Considering the redzone woes we've had the past 5 years I will definitely give him credit for that.

This.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Law98gator;n299948 said:
We don't really have a fullback. You wanting to move Cox or someone else (Bryan)?

I dont have the answer for a fullback, just wondering if you guys think it would benefit our run game.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
gatormandan;n299971 said:
I dont have the answer for a fullback, just wondering if you guys think it would benefit our run game.

I doubt it would too much with us running mostly shotgun anyway.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Swamped Gator;n299969 said:

Thank you. This is my main point. He's NOT an "elite" RB...he's mediocre - at best. I am happy to see him punching it in the end zone when called upon. I wish he'd show that punch/power in other running situations.

I think Law's point about the 2 freshman hits home, as Taylor is our best option at this point. But at what point do you allow the freshman to get carries/PT? It's game 8 vs. UGA, so they have to of shown improvement...right? Are they still going to fumble and/or miss blocking assignments? I hope not to the extent as game 1 & 2....or something is wrong w/ the coaching. Hopefully we can blow out Vandy and get a lead on SC so they can get some playing time.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
BMF;n300035 said:
Thank you. This is my main point. He's NOT an "elite" RB...he's mediocre - at best. I am happy to see him punching it in the end zone when called upon. I wish he'd show that punch/power in other running situations.

I think Law's point about the 2 freshman hits home, as Taylor is our best option at this point. But at what point do you allow the freshman to get carries/PT? It's game 8 vs. UGA, so they have to of shown improvement...right? Are they still going to fumble and/or miss blocking assignments? I hope not to the extent as game 1 & 2....or something is wrong w/ the coaching. Hopefully we can blow out Vandy and get a lead on SC so they can get some playing time.

Fumblitis isn't always in season coaching. Sometimes it takes a full offseason to correct. Because you have to create a new habit in carrying the ball. That takes time and more time than is allowed in game preparation. If this carries into the following season then the coaching should be questioned a bit. But I could see the Freshmen starting to get more carries later in the season. At the least to limit the wear and tear on Taylor. We will need him most in Atlanta, FSU, and the Bowl game.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Off subject, at the beginning of the season Drob would run with the ball stretched out in one hand and I have seen a change in him over the last few games. Did they climb his back about it and threaten to bench him or what?

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
TheDouglas78;n300052 said:
I could see the Freshmen starting to get more carries later in the season. At the least to limit the wear and tear on Taylor. We will need him most in Atlanta, FSU, and the Bowl game.

This is exactly what I'm expecting, now that neither of the freshmen can redshirt out. The games against the other teams should provide ample real-game situations for the freshmen to cut their teeth, get up to game speed, and prove they can hold the ball. Who knows, maybe they'll start to shine a bit with more carries, and going against weaker defenses. We will lean heavy on KT again for the FSU and SECCG (jinx!) and bowl - I expect coaches will use him as needed in the easier games, but use the freshmen a lot more.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n300052 said:
But I could see the Freshmen starting to get more carries later in the season. At the least to limit the wear and tear on Taylor. We will need him most in Atlanta, FSU, and the Bowl game.
Unfortunately we just haven't had a lead. Mizzu, Tinerc and Kintucky were all quite close.

Crunk has gotten a few carries here and there but he has fumbled (but recovered) twice. Also, BC he can't block, we are pretty much required to run when he is on the field.

Remember it took Taylor two years to learn how to pass pro. It's not an overnight thing.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n300158 said:
Unfortunately we just haven't had a lead. Mizzu, Tinerc and Kintucky were all quite close.

Crunk has gotten a few carries here and there but he has fumbled (but recovered) twice. Also, BC he can't block, we are pretty much required to run when he is on the field.

Remember it took Taylor two years to learn how to pass pro. It's not an overnight thing.

Wasn't Scarlett the one who fumbled twice and Cronkrite the one who doesn't seem to be able to block? Nice runner though. I agree on the pass protection, that is something that has to be learned in game and over time. Taylor was a liability last year and the year before it in, now he is making the natural moves that make huge differences.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n300163 said:
Wasn't Scarlett the one who fumbled twice and Cronkrite the one who doesn't seem to be able to block? Nice runner though. I agree on the pass protection, that is something that has to be learned in game and over time. Taylor was a liability last year and the year before it in, now he is making the natural moves that make huge differences.
I don't know. Crunk fumbled against Mizzu and fell on it. I think he did earlier too, like maybe against Kintucky. The word is he has had problems in practice too. You can tell Mac doesn't trust him bc he has played Powell and two walkons at times when he could have played Crunk.

I don't think Scarlett has played since the first game. Think he was hurt.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n300197 said:
I don't know. Crunk fumbled against Mizzu and fell on it. I think he did earlier too, like maybe against Kintucky. The word is he has had problems in practice too. You can tell Mac doesn't trust him bc he has played Powell and two walkons at times when he could have played Crunk.

I don't think Scarlett has played since the first game. Think he was hurt.

Hmmmm, somehow I thought it was the exact opposite. Crunk hurt and Scarlett unable to hold onto the ball.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So, what would happen if KT goes out and pulls a Chubb? We just don't play either Jordan's because they might actually fumble or mis a block?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
NVGator;n300234 said:
So, what would happen if KT goes out and pulls a Chubb? We just don't play either Jordan's because they might actually fumble or mis a block?
I guess we have to. I don't know. I'm not watching practice like Mac is. There is a reason he won't put them on the field even though he has freshmen all over the place.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NVGator;n300234 said:

He'd probably put Herndon out there as the starter. I believe he is a Senior. Although he also has put the ball on the ground, even if JMac wants to blame Treon. The ball was put in his gut.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n300202 said:
Hmmmm, somehow I thought it was the exact opposite. Crunk hurt and Scarlett unable to hold onto the ball.

^this is what I heard, Crunk got hurt in either ECU or UK. Scarlett put the ball on the ground twice and also has been putting it on the ground in practice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.