Thoughts on the current Freshmen class?

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Recruiting is a hot topic around here. And most of us agree to some extent that recruiting must pick up for us to be a consistent contender. So I was thinking and trying to figure out how this team became so lethal considering we’ve been a middling SEC recruiting school. But in researching something jumped out to me. This current freshman class has the chance to be spectacular. You look at all of the true freshmen on the 2 deep and there’s legitimate reason to be giddy about the future.

Henderson might be a superstar in the making. Same could be said for Dexter. We’ve seen great potential from Princely. We’ve seen Tre’vez Johnson and Rashad Torrence contribute heavily in the secondary. Not to mention seldom seen guys like Wingo and Fraziars, who I assume will be pretty good. Then you factor in transfers like Cox and Shorter and you see what might be the nucleus of a championship team. And I haven’t mentioned players like Richardson and Braun and all the other players that will be likely contributors.

And these guys are playing heavy minutes on a potential playoff team. It’s not common to see so much production from first year players on a dominant team. We may have struck gold on this class.

Opine.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Hendo needs to catch more consistently, but he seems good. AR has the body of Cam Newton. Dexter, Cox, and Shorter have been phenomenal. Torrence and Johnson are better than the seniors ahead of them. Wright (RS) has been great. I mean, if we are talking freshmen in general, this might be something special. BUT, they have to play more, get more experience, and grow. The biggest issue with the defense is the little growth for all players we've had all three years under Grantham on the defensive side of the ball.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
So I was thinking and trying to figure out how this team became so lethal considering we’ve been a middling SEC recruiting school.

Nothing to figure out. We just happened to have a one-in-a-million two star QB that ended up being an elite QB sitting on our bench for the past 5 years that no one has figured out except by chance when the guy ahead of him bent his ankle backwards. The one thing that can pull an average class in terms of recruiting and make them competitive is an elite QB.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Nothing to figure out. We just happened to have a one-in-a-million two star QB that ended up being an elite QB sitting on our bench for the past 5 years that no one has figured out except by chance when the guy ahead of him bent his ankle backwards. The one thing that can pull an average class in terms of recruiting and make them competitive is an elite QB.
I coach football on the pop Warner level. And it’s never that simple. I understand to fans we just see a talented player and think it’s just plug and play. Sometimes ask yourself the same question with different factors. Is Trask a Heisman front runner under Muschamp or Mac? Or look at it in reverse, is Dan as successful here without inheriting Trask? Point being there’s usually more moving parts than it appears on the surface. Trask is a big piece to the turnaround. But it’s not just him. I tend to breakdown the game on a more functional level. And hyperbole usually doesn’t serve me well. I love amateur sports and breaking down film. So I don’t usually get caught up in most fans’ perspective of the game. I watch as a scout usually and I never have a rooting interest. Only with the Gators do I concern myself with the score.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
I coach football on the pop Warner level. And it’s never that simple. I understand to fans we just see a talented player and think it’s just plug and play. Sometimes ask yourself the same question with different factors. Is Trask a Heisman front runner under Muschamp or Mac? Or look at it in reverse, is Dan as successful here without inheriting Trask? Point being there’s usually more moving parts than it appears on the surface. Trask is a big piece to the turnaround. But it’s not just him. I tend to breakdown the game on a more functional level. And hyperbole usually doesn’t serve me well. I love amateur sports and breaking down film. So I don’t usually get caught up in most fans’ perspective of the game. I watch as a scout usually and I never have a rooting interest. Only with the Gators do I concern myself with the score.
Nah, its the 2 star QB playing like a Heisman. Put Franks in there and what do you get? Put EJ in there and what do you likely get?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Don't forget the change in offensive play calling, that is huge. Just compare Burrow in 18 to Burrow in 19. Having the right trigger man with the right offensive system

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Recruiting is a hot topic around here. And most of us agree to some extent that recruiting must pick up for us to be a consistent contender. So I was thinking and trying to figure out how this team became so lethal considering we’ve been a middling SEC recruiting school. But in researching something jumped out to me. This current freshman class has the chance to be spectacular. You look at all of the true freshmen on the 2 deep and there’s legitimate reason to be giddy about the future.

Henderson might be a superstar in the making. Same could be said for Dexter. We’ve seen great potential from Princely. We’ve seen Tre’vez Johnson and Rashad Torrence contribute heavily in the secondary. Not to mention seldom seen guys like Wingo and Fraziars, who I assume will be pretty good. Then you factor in transfers like Cox and Shorter and you see what might be the nucleus of a championship team. And I haven’t mentioned players like Richardson and Braun and all the other players that will be likely contributors.

And these guys are playing heavy minutes on a potential playoff team. It’s not common to see so much production from first year players on a dominant team. We may have struck gold on this class.

Opine.
Braun is going to be a monster offensive lineman. I think Dexter and Princely will be a nightmare for opposing teams’ offenses for the next few years. Baby Hendo could be good if he can learn how to catch more consistently. Shorter has been a welcome surprise.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Don't forget the change in offensive play calling, that is huge. Just compare Burrow in 18 to Burrow in 19. Having the right trigger man with the right offensive system
This.

This Dougie dude is pretty smart.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Nah, its the 2 star QB playing like a Heisman. Put Franks in there and what do you get? Put EJ in there and what do you likely get?

That's the $64,000 question. I know he's damn talented and this is a very good to great group of receivers playing with solid running backs and better than average (and better than expected) OL play. I think the W/L record would very likely be the same if EJ had been the starter, although he probably wouldn't be getting the Heisman hype.

Hopefully we wait until next year to find out if the offensive production is maintained with EJ running the team.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

18 of the starters are Butters recruits and mostly seniors. Having a veteran line up, along with good coaching, goes a long way. The only starters that are not Butters recruits are: Cox, Gouraige, & Copeland. Along w/ a veteran QB in Trask and that's a good formula for success.

The 2020 class (true freshman) is a solid w/ Dexter, Braun, Torrance, Johnson, and Henderson providing quality reps. Princely looks like he's going to be solid. Hopefully we get some blowouts in the next few games and these younger guys get some reps. I'd like to see more from Jalen Lee.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
That's the $64,000 question. I know he's damn talented and this is a very good to great group of receivers playing with solid running backs and better than average (and better than expected) OL play. I think the W/L record would very likely be the same if EJ had been the starter, although he probably wouldn't be getting the Heisman hype.

Hopefully we wait until next year to find out if the offensive production is maintained with EJ running the team.
Im not knocking him really, he is extremely talented, but I just worry about his tendency to stare down his target and getting the ball to the right receiver. The only reason Trask is so exceptional is due to his ability to quickly make the right read while moving the safety around the field with his eyes. And the fact he can drop dimes. Only time will tell.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Baby Hendo could be good if he can learn how to catch more consistently.
It’s hard to find but try to watch a little tape of Henderson. I like watching receivers on plays that they don’t get the ball. It’s a better representation of how consistent of a route runner a receiver is. He’s scary good. Don’t get caught up in the box score. Mullen doesn’t usually play a lot of true freshmen so that should tell you something about this kid’s potential. His mistakes happen because he can get lost at times. That’s a reflection of being a true freshman and not having training camp. I think he’ll be the best player in that class.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
I like many of the freshman defensive players but none of them will keep Diwun Black and Chief Borders off the field next year.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I'll go with some less obvious freshman.

1. Jesiah Pierre - He looks big and physical. He is listed at 242 and looks it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when he has played it has been at ILB. We needs some nasties in that spot.

2. Tre'vez Johnson - Plays fast and physical. When things come together mentally, he is going to be really good.

3. Whittemore - Many of us hated the signing. But, the kid is a talented receiver and will be productive in his time at UF.

4. Harrod - I thought he looked fine in the limited action. His feet moved well. He is powerful. It seemed there were technique issues, but I feel better about LT next season.

5. DTs - I like all of them so far. Jaelin Humphries look like big run stuffer. Lamar Goods looks like he has actually eaten a few of the walkons. With the addition of Desmond Watson, we are looking great.

6. AR - Is much more explosive, faster and more physical of a runner than what I'd seen on tape. In Mullinz offense, that matters.

7. Wright - Before his injury, he was half a point from 5 star status. He is living up to that billing.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'll go with some less obvious freshman.

1. Jesiah Pierre - He looks big and physical. He is listed at 242 and looks it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when he has played it has been at ILB. We needs some nasties in that spot.

2. Tre'vez Johnson - Plays fast and physical. When things come together mentally, he is going to be really good.

3. Whittemore - Many of us hated the signing. But, the kid is a talented receiver and will be productive in his time at UF.

4. Harrod - I thought he looked fine in the limited action. His feet moved well. He is powerful. It seemed there were technique issues, but I feel better about LT next season.

5. DTs - I like all of them so far. Jaelin Humphries look like big run stuffer. Lamar Goods looks like he has actually eaten a few of the walkons. With the addition of Desmond Watson, we are looking great.

6. AR - Is much more explosive, faster and more physical of a runner than what I'd seen on tape. In Mullinz offense, that matters.

7. Wright - Before his injury, he was half a point from 5 star status. He is living up to that billing.

I assumed the OP is talking about the 2020, true freshman class. So, that eliminates evals on Pierre, Harrod, Whittemore, Humphries, and Wright. That could be an entirely new thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator