Thoughts on Trask

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
He also appears to be a tough guy, physically and mentally. To play through a sprained knee is impressive.

Not only is there the pain; which I’m sure he’s going to go through all the ice in 352 this week.

But, there’s the mental aspect knowing you were a few inches away from shredding your knee. To have that “put me in coach, I’m good” attitude is awesome.

While he’s raw on the field, his attitude is the best we’ve had since 15 was behind a pouncey.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Trask played hard and along with some great play out of EJ, won us this huge game in front of the world. When he has time to throw it's beautiful, but yesterday the Barn line got to him a few times after he waited too long. If he takes off, or even rolls out of the pocket he can buy a little more time for his receivers to come to him. I'm sure Mullen will work it with him this week. Dude came back in the game with a sprained ACL. He's a helluva warrior.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@Swamped Gator I totally agree with what you are saying. Big negatives, but should be easy enough to fix with game experience. One thing I can't figure out is why Trask doesn't run sometimes other than if it is a stupid QB run call. I know he isn't a great runner, but the coaches must tell him to NEVER run unless they call for it. Several times in the last few games he has had tons of green grass if he just tucked it. He isn't a burner, but he could have at least gotten 5 yards before there was even any contact. I guess it's a fine line between someone that takes off after a hint of pressure and someone that stands tall in the pocket, but I think there is a little bit of space for a scramble every now and then.
agree - he had one opportunity to run for big yards and decided to throw a 10 yard pass to Hammond (complete for a 1st down)

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
QB has to hold on to the ball until receivers break free. And the Oline has to block until that time.
So it isn't that Trask holds on to the ball too long (unless you mean he should throw it away/take a sack) it's that the oline isn't blocking long enough. I think we've seen that Trask let's it fly when someone is open.
i.e. blame lies with the oline.

Look, I'm on the Trask train and lack of time for the play to develop is on the o-line, but not securing the ball while being tackled is on Trask.

Malaka

Sep 6, 2018
agree - he had one opportunity to run for big yards and decided to throw a 10 yard pass to Hammond (complete for a 1st down)

I noticed that too. Just take the yards that are there and the defense gets off balance. By far my biggest gripe about Trask.

That along with the misses pitch to Davis were two poor decisions and I thought a bit understated by the commentators. That pitch would have been a touchdown. It happens though.

I wonder if we are seeing a more fluid passing game along with more fumbles because Trask is so committed to the pass that he stays in the pocket and waits for the route to open whereas Felipe protected the ball a bit better by rolling out of the pocket but would then have to force or improvise any pass. Can't fault Trask for some of the fumbles that happened mid throw. Oline needs to do better obviously

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Trask recognizes defenses and it able to get the ball to our receivers in stride, usually and he is very accurate. He definitely must improve his pocket awareness as he holds the ball too long behind our very porous OL. He needs to be more like Will Grier, 3 counts to either throw or run... no unnecessary hits like the missed block yesterday that almost cost him a knee.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
One thing I can't figure out is why Trask doesn't run sometimes other than if it is a stupid QB run call. I know he isn't a great runner, but the coaches must tell him to NEVER run unless they call for it.

I think they tell him to not run it because they don’t want him to fumble it.

I'm thinking they tell him not to run because if he does take a hard hit we lose him and are then down to just EJ. I suppose, in their minds, a called run should have blocking to protect him and an expected number of yards before he slides; whereas a scramble exposes him to less protection and who knows what risk of hit. I have only watched the first quarter of this game, but from what I've seen of other games, the coaches want a willing runner - someone who doesn't hesitate when his number is called, or hands off on EVERY option and becomes a non-threat...and I think they'd like a 'willing runner' for those gimme 5y scrambles, if they feel they have a durable QB who won't get hurt and a backup in case he does get hurt.

And yet... on third and 2 they call a designed QB keeper up the middle that hasn't worked all year, and also ran designed keepers to run out the clock in spite of the sprained knee and 3 fumbles. :eek3:

Which is where my belief that the coaches want a running QB on their called plays gets undermined by the coaches play selection. What they call, and when they call it, leaves KT exposed more than we probably should - and is given a higher risk rating by WHO the QB is now that Franks isn't bulling it thru and Trask isn't made for, nor used to, taking a pounding (frequent sacks not withstanding).

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
I noticed that too. Just take the yards that are there and the defense gets off balance. By far my biggest gripe about Trask.

That along with the misses pitch to Davis were two poor decisions and I thought a bit understated by the commentators. That pitch would have been a touchdown. It happens though.

I wonder if we are seeing a more fluid passing game along with more fumbles because Trask is so committed to the pass that he stays in the pocket and waits for the route to open whereas Felipe protected the ball a bit better by rolling out of the pocket but would then have to force or improvise any pass. Can't fault Trask for some of the fumbles that happened mid throw. Oline needs to do better obviously
It was easier for FF b/c he almost always stared down a single receiver and then dumped it off or started towards a run. He wasn’t sticking in the pocket unless he was waiting for that 1 receiver to be wide open.

GatorKen714

May 24, 2018
Some of his fumbles are due to him fighting to stay on his feet. He should just get down and move on to next play, easier said than done at times.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
A small part of the problem seems to be the nature of the pocket. Some QBs step up to avoid the rush, but with the pocket collapsing, he can't step up.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A lot of people are talking about his pocket presence but everyone is missing one HUGE thing: Trask has his eyes down the field on every throw and he is not looking at the D-Line.

That is important because if he starts watching the D-Line, he will miss a WR coming open.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
A lot of people are talking about his pocket presence but everyone is missing one HUGE thing: Trask has his eyes down the field on every throw and he is not looking at the D-Line.

That is important because if he starts watching the D-Line, he will miss a WR coming open.

There have been many times that I thought he should run to get 7-8 yards, but his eyes are downfield and he makes the throw for 10-15. His patience and execution under pressure are shocking given his experience, whether passing or that last moment pitch for a TD in the Ky game.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Everyone says he needs to hold on to the ball and not fumble. This is true in a couple plays but mostly he is hit while his arm is going back to make the throw. It would be pretty hard to hang on to those. He does need to move around some but he needs the line to give him time more than anything.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Nobody likes the fumbles. He's doing the things we've been waiting for a QB to do. Damn line just needs to improve.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
And yet... on third and 2 they call a designed QB keeper up the middle that hasn't worked since 2007, and also ran designed keepers to run out the clock in spite of the sprained knee and 3 fumbles. :eek3:

FIFY

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator