Torrian Gray is the new DB coach

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I really like the hire, VT has always been one of those schools who tries to lay claim to being DbackU and I think Gray was a big reason why.
Alright, ox, J, Nav, which one of you signed in as Kev?

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I agree. This guy was supposed to be some SoFla recruiting guru, and look how our defensive class ended up. He is Choco Muschamp, a double agent sent to torpedo the program.

That may be the most delusional thing I've heard in awhile. Shannon is a good coach and it would be horrible to lose him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Soooo, why didn't we bring him on board before today? :dunno:

While others point to taboo and courtesy, I think there is a stronger underlying business reason - staff contracts. You don't want to lose someone off your staff at such a critical time so a contract for X number of years based on that date. You wish to fire him between end of season and NSD, you pay the buyout and move on under your own terms as a program. However, if he chooses to leave you and head to a new program when you are in the heart of recruiting season....he's gonna pay dearly. It keeps the coaching change situation on the best terms for the program.

GatorRaz

Gator Fan in Enemy Territory!!!
Dec 12, 2014
A good friend is a S&C coach at VT. He text me last night and told me we were getting a quality guy who gets after it at practice and is a heck of a recruiter! Welcome Cocah Gray!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
:waiting::waiting::waiting:

So when is the announcement about the new ST coordinator and WR coaches?

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
I think we are really lucky to land this guy, 10 yrs coaching the secondary at VT, a program that has ridden on its D and special teams forever, and then he comes here for the same role. I think he's likely decided he wants to move up, and that he had to leave the now-comfortable surroundings of VT to do so. So he may only be here a year or two before taking a DC job somewhere. But in the meantime, I think he will do well here. Certainly hope so!

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I think Dixon did a very good job last year. The WR play was much improved and he helped bring in the best WR class that we've had since 10 years ago. It was reported in several places that Dixon was a key recruiter for Cleveland.

I agree wholeheartedly about Nord. Hopefully today we'll find out he's been let go and they're searching for a replacement.

ufgator2002

Bleeds Orange and Blue
Aug 11, 2014
@RagjUF: Gray’s from Lakeland. Don’t think it’s too much of a stretch to say he’ll be the new guy in Tampa area for UF.

Ya he went to my high school Kathleen with Ray Lewis. That was a stout team that year. I had already graduated but watched both of them play in their high school games.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Fwiw, his twitter account says hes the "University of Florida Defensive Back Coach #DBU" even though I don't think the school has announced it yet.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Did he recruit FL for VT? Or where did he recruit? The response seems great. I just don't know enough about him or what area he would be responsible for.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Dixon recruited his position better than anyone else on the staff. But nord and hurricane Shannon need to go.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I wouldn't be mad if we canned drew Hughes.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Dixon is probably safe for at least another year. He played a huge part getting Cleveland and the other WR recruits. Was he the ideal candidate? No, this is not a place for a coach who has never been at a power 5 school to learn on the job. Watching the routes it looks like he can coach as our guys were open. Next question is can he recruit now and not one day be a great recruiter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator