Status
Not open for further replies.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The transfer portal sucks if you ask me. Sure, it seems like we can somehow get some studs that we otherwise wouldn't have gotten, but the reality is that it lets every good stud player in the country go to Bama, OSU, UGA, Clemson etc without having to worry that maybe they'll get beat out at their position and not play. Because if that happens, they can just enter the portal. So the one damn thing that might prevent those schools from getting errbody, the possibility of riding the pine, simply ceases to exist.

The whole system is such BS. Imagine how exciting the NFL would be if the team that wins the Super Bowl got to take the first 5 picks in the next draft? Because that's pretty much what we have happening in CFB.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The transfer portal sucks if you ask me. Sure, it seems like we can somehow get some studs that we otherwise wouldn't have gotten, but the reality is that it lets every good stud player in the country go to Bama, OSU, UGA, Clemson etc without having to worry that maybe they'll get beat out at their position and not play. Because if that happens, they can just enter the portal. So the one damn thing that might prevent those schools from getting errbody, the possibility of riding the pine, simply ceases to exist.

The whole system is such BS. Imagine how exciting the NFL would be if the team that wins the Super Bowl got to take the first 5 picks in the next draft? Because that's pretty much what we have happening in CFB.

You used Bama as an example as a program that cherry picks from the Transfer Portal, but even Saban still has to manage a roster. If you can remember, Bama had a bunch of talented kids at QB on the same team at the same time (Tagavailoa, Hurts, and Jones). Two of those guys were "riding the pine" at one stage or another, but now they are all starting QBs in the NFL. I'm certain that they had to be sold on staying in the program and trusting that their time would eventually come. The transfer portal is only a tool and the good architects will utilize many tools to build their houses. If a kid believes he has found the right fit at UF, another player at his position shouldn't deter him from coming here. Kids will always leave programs for one reason or another. Here's to hoping Napier builds UF into a recruiting machine that threatens the Bamas, Clemson's, UGAs, and OSUs. If he can take advantage of the innate geographical recruiting advantage UF has over those programs, even the portal can't save them.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You used Bama as an example as a program that cherry picks from the Transfer Portal, but even Saban still has to manage a roster. If you can remember, Bama had a bunch of talented kids at QB on the same team at the same time (Tagavailoa, Hurts, and Jones). Two of those guys were "riding the pine" at one stage or another, but now they are all starting QBs in the NFL. I'm certain that they had to be sold on staying in the program and trusting that their time would eventually come. The transfer portal is only a tool and the good architects will utilize many tools to build their houses. If a kid believes he has found the right fit at UF, another player at his position shouldn't deter him from coming here. Kids will always leave programs for one reason or another. Here's to hoping Napier builds UF into a recruiting machine that threatens the Bamas, Clemson's, UGAs, and OSUs. If he can take advantage of the innate geographical recruiting advantage UF has over those programs, even the portal can't save them.
Bama isn't an example of cherry picking FROM the portal. Its the opposite. You can only play one QB, so if you're the second best QB on a team like Bama and wind up riding the pine, you can always enter the portal like Hurts did when Tua took over. It tears down the barrier for a stud like either Tua OR Hurts from going there when there is already another stud on the roster because, hey, if it doesn't work out I'll just transfer. Otherwise, one of those two guys probably goes to another school during his initial recruitment. Which may sound at first like a wash, but what it does in ensure that Bama ALWAYS gets the better guy, even if the other guy is good too.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Bama isn't an example of cherry picking FROM the portal. Its the opposite. You can only play one QB, so if you're the second best QB on a team like Bama and wind up riding the pine, you can always enter the portal like Hurts did when Tua took over. It tears down the barrier for a stud like either Tua OR Hurts from going there when there is already another stud on the roster because, hey, if it doesn't work out I'll just transfer. Otherwise, one of those two guys probably goes to another school during his initial recruitment. Which may sound at first like a wash, but what it does in ensure that Bama ALWAYS gets the better guy, even if the other guy is good too.

I get it, bro. What you’re saying is valid, I just don’t agree that the portal is bad for College Football. Via elite recruiting, bagmen, and processing, Bama was getting “the better guy “ before the transfer portal came to prominence anyway. The portal just stopped the facade of determining proper eligibility and eliminated kids sitting out a year unnecessarily. You get to have the pick of the litter when you have won the way Saban has won over the past decade. It’s time for a change of the ****ing guard. Time to end the dynasty.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mullens transition class continues to impress. He took a lot of fluff to pad the numbers. Pierce, Pitts, and McPherson obviously panned out. Gouraige is a good contributor. The rest.... not great.
Florida 2018 Football Commits

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I feel differently about Copeland than everybody else. I actually think he is a pretty good receiver that was in an offensive system that isnt great for WR and a QB throwing it that couldn't find any open WRs all season. He seems like an emotional type so its obvious he was frustrated. I dont think he was a cancer in the locker room either. If I remember right it was B Johnson who had to clean up a lot of mess that muLLLLLLen made in 2020 and Copeland was obviously one of those players it affected.

Had he had a competent play caller and QB this year was supposed to be his year. But he didn't. I wish him the best and I think he is going to do well where ever he goes.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Copeland in the portal
What a dumbass. He was frustrated at the last coach and his lack of touches so he wants to transfer before talking to the new coach?

Who in the hell wants a guy that drops 2 passes a game.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting move. I'm surprised he didn't try to go pro. I wonder if he didn't like his grade (or competition) in the draft, so he decided to be a grad transfer in hopes of going somewhere where he believes he'll get more targets. That's my best guess anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator