Trip To The Big Top - A Cautionary Tale

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
It's the offseason, boring as he11 around here and Ive been meaning to tell this story for years so might as well now.

Close your eyes and harken back to a time not so long ago, when visions of speedsters streaked towards the endzone, Urban's 4 keys to the game were the stuff of legends, and an SEC championship seemed a real possibilty. It's November of 2006 and we were in the throws of a season to remember. One complete with epic highlights like Jarvis's blocked FG, wins over UT and the dwags and a few low points as well like Chris Leaks incomplete forward pass... errrr "fumble." Fresh off a W in a game that will go down as one of the great defensive SEC battles of all time, with an ending that was sheer joy for gators everywhere, we were over the top and "flying high." So I suppose a trip to the big top was the perfect follow-up act.

It was a clear, warm day in trailertrashy, blue skys and few clouds, a early kickoff was set to allow for max gator pandomonium upon completion of what we all knew was a forgone conclusion. I arose early and began a little pregaming at a freinds house only 5 minutes from the stadium. In full disclosure this friend was a battle-buddy of mine but unfortunately a nole - classic ying and yang. For his part, Ive never met a finer dude and Soldier, but alas noones perfect. We hit up a local watering hole with a few other Army buddies in tow, within walking distance to the derection set. I was in great spirits knowing fully that it would be a glorious day. My buddy had secured us 4 tickets in the student section and with his connection, I was able to use one despite not having a student ID. We enjoyed ourselves and the brewskis and around 1130am began making the "infamous" walk to what I would soon learn was one of the worst venues in all of college football.

Getting into the stadium was fairly routine, absent his connection being all too thrilled about allowing into the student section, a guy who had a blue shirt and gator hat on. I wore them with (straight) pride. Once inside the stadium and moving towards our seats I remarked to myself that they must have been doing some kind of renovation project because of all the bright yellow scaffolding that was running everywhere. It appeared to me to be a giant game of pick up sticks had just gone down. I mumbled sometihng to my buddy about it and he looked at me perplexed, then said, something to the effect of "What? Isn't this how yalls stadium is set up?" I facepalmed inside. Onward to the seats we forged, and what a venerable sea of half-drunk highschool dropouts I found. The crowd was amusing if nothing else. I stood in an area surrounded by a few piss-drunk idiots who wanted to fight from the very second I arrived at my seat. My buddy, the good guy that he was, made it a point to tell the semis that anyone who had a problem with me, had a problem with our entire group and us being clearly bigger and in much better shape, the looks ended as quickly as they had begun.

The game was fairly ho-hum. Leak didn't wow by any stretch of the imagination but our defense was locked in and bubba caldwell made a huge TD run from about midfield off a jet sweep. Another memorable moment occured at halftime as we were inside the stadium heading to get some concessions, having left our seats with a minute left to try and beat some of the semis. I was walking around that giant stack of pick up sticks when I came to a chain link fence on wheels. I stopped, checked my bearings to be sure that I had in fact just come from this direction and there had been no rolling fence there. I looked around for key landmarks as I always do and I was became very confident that I had been retracing my previous steps. Just about the time I was ready to start secong guessing myself, along comes a sea of clowns with big floppy red shoes and gold colored helmets walking right between the fence and me. It was at that moment that I realized they didnt even have a tunnel, but simply rolled up a fence and partinoned the walkway off when the team enters and exits. It was almost as hilarious as the last kid to walk past me, the kicker. He had to have been all of 5 feet tall with cleats on. The second half was mostly more of the same. Leak through a nice long TD pass to dallas baker in the endzone and the only prayer fsu smelled of answering on a kickoff return was snuffed right out when he was shown to have stepped well out of bounds near mid-field. The game ended with Tebow delivering some punishing blows near the hole's endzone and a kneel-down on the goal line for a nice W and a chance for the mother of all college football births.

As we began to exit the stadium I laughed while once again walking through what I now understand to be called the "erector set" however I prefer to phrase it as the derection set, for obvious reasons. I was through the moon, we just capped off an 11 win season and by all arguments were as good as any team in the country. No semis or clown cars could slow me down!!!! And then I got outside the stadium...

Holy hell, I'd never seen anything like it before, not even at LSU. The entire area was completely trashed, all the grounds both grass and pavement areas were completely piled with garbage. Trash cans had been filled and then continued to have trash placed near them to the point that the cans were no longer visible and in their place stood 8 foot tall pyramids of garbage everywhere you looked. Random trash, carboard beer cases and opened cans decorated the lawn like Christmas lights on Clark Griswolds rooftop. I'd really never in my life scene such a dump, and from a reasonably decent looking place only 3.5 hours earlier. We shuffled through the garbage, the random areas of vomit and pissed on pavement, and made it back to the bar where we had kicked things off. I remarked to my freind that I had never seen anything so filthy at a football venue and that even at places like LSU where the fans are known for being crazy drunks, they at least have a little pride in the appearance of their stadium. Once again, he gave me that confounded look and said, "I dunno dude, this is how it always is. The ROTC freshman and sophomores have to show up at 630am every sunday and spend the day cleaning everything up anyway so who cares." And it was at this moment, when I realized that fsu truly is the barnum and baileys circus of college football.

:nole:

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Good story Durty.
Having attended Clown games in the mid-70s (before and after Bowden got there) I can relate.
My house was about 1.5 miles away so we'd go and see who was going to beat the girls school this week.
FSU was independent then so we got to see a young Dan Marino and other athletes come through.
But the stadium was literally no better than a high school stadium. In fact FAMU and high school games attracted more attendance.
They would also let us on the field and give us chin straps and those tear away jerseys.
Good times and glad to see not much has changed :D
FSU baseball games were a hoot though.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
There's minutes of my life I'm never getting back

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Too much words...hurt head.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Does anyone else get a black screen on long posts like that? I'm using a Samsung Galaxy. His post has a black background with blue type. Can't read.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I was at that game too.

We were tailgating in a pretty exclusive area. I shared beers with Tampa Bay journeyman QB Steve Deberg (he was a drunk) and a few pleasantries with former FSU QB Casey Weldon. I told Weldon how he really earned my respect and admiration following the absolute ass beating he took in Gainesville in 1991 (the 14-9 game). At first he thought I was being a smart ass but soon realized I was earnest. Good dude. I wonder if he still has nightmares of Darren Mickell.

My then-girlfriend and I got great tickets from FSU's girls basketball team so we were seated in enemy territory--but of course there was plenty of room around us.

Very business-like win.

Alex.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I just spit my drink all over the computer.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
AlexDaGator;n250949 said:
I was at that game too.

We were tailgating in a pretty exclusive area. I shared beers with Tampa Bay journeyman QB Steve Deberg (he was a drunk) and a few pleasantries with former FSU QB Casey Weldon. I told Weldon how he really earned my respect and admiration following the absolute ass beating he took in Gainesville in 1991 (the 14-9 game). At first he thought I was being a smart ass but soon realized I was earnest. Good dude. I wonder if he still has nightmares of Darren Mickell.

My then-girlfriend and I got great tickets from FSU's girls basketball team so we were seated in enemy territory--but of course there was plenty of room around us.

Very business-like win.

Alex.
I wonder how close we were? :scratchchin:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
IF I had a Semenhole friend, I sure as hell wouldn't admit it. As always, Nuck All Foles.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I've only been in that ****hole one time, in 1990, where, on the second play from scrimmage, Monty Grow was located somewhere near Perry and not on the field. A nightmare, and the last time I'll ever set foot in that cesspool.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n250934 said:
Does anyone else get a black screen on long posts like that? I'm using a Samsung Galaxy. His post has a black background with blue type. Can't read.

Time for a new phone.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
My only trip there was the Choke at Doak. That's enough for one lifetime.

Related, my only trip to Death Valley at LSU was when we went in #1 and got our butts kicked. A weekend of drunken celebration was immediately traded for a long sobering drive home.

Hmmm, perhaps the key is for me not to go to away games so we can win?

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TLB;n251026 said:
My only trip there was the Choke at Doak. That's enough for one lifetime.

Related, my only trip to Death Valley at LSU was when we went in #1 and got our butts kicked. A weekend of drunken celebration was immediately traded for a long sobering drive home.

Hmmm, perhaps the key is for me not to go to away games so we can win?

Agreed, you are now banned from all away games when we are ranked in the top 5

Go Gata

Founding Member
aka Emersom Bigguns
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Me and my brother were at this game, as well. Got the stadium police called on us for standing up too much. The cop must have gone to school somewhere else though, because he was pretty cool about it. The game was closer than a sh*t talker like me would've liked it to have been but, all the same, we had fun gloating as the seconds ticked off the clock at the end. Good times.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
A friend of mine at UF got banned from the FSU campus for taking a wiz on Bobby Bowden field (frat initiation). One of the guys was stupid enough to call his friend who went to FSU, who in turn called the police.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
MidwestChomp;n251074 said:
A friend of mine at UF got banned from the FSU campus for taking a wiz on Bobby Bowden field (frat initiation). One of the guys was stupid enough to call his friend who went to FSU, who in turn called the police.

Your friend associates with stupid people? :scratchchin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.