Truck Bed Cover recommendations

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Looking to replace the hard foldable bed cover for my Toyota Tundra. When I purchased the truck it came with a 4 way foldable cover that was a huge pile of sh!t from the get go. I think the brand was Back Flip or something. Anyway it completely fell apart about 4 or 5 months back and I threw it in the garbage.

Anyone out there have any luck with any other brand on their full sized pick up?

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
I have a ReTrax. Great for security, not as waterproof as it looks. Price is WAY more than I paid almost 5 yrs ago. Metal gets hot in sun. Still works like new. Beware of tree leaves and twigs on cover when opening, all debris gets rolled into the drum. Not a problem yet for me, I try to brush it off so I won't need to someday take it apart and re-install. Takes away a little bed space behind the cab.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

This is what I have on mine, was on there when I bought it and is painted to match the body color of the truck.
I know not everyone wants the one piece hard cover, but I've been happy with it.
It's insulated too so the bed is never roasting hot. Also no water ever gets in the bed.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014

This is what I have on mine, was on there when I bought it and is painted to match the body color of the truck.
I know not everyone wants the one piece hard cover, but I've been happy with it.
It's insulated too so the bed is never roasting hot. Also no water ever gets in the bed.
Don't know if I would want a painted one BUT Spectator is right about the folding and rolling ones getting hotter than fire in the summer sun and they all leak a little too.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Don't know if I would want a painted one BUT Spectator is right about the folding and rolling ones getting hotter than fire in the summer sun and they all leak a little too.
I like mine being painted....blends right into the truck, it is also fairly easy to remove, even has a way to hang it up on the wall (if you have the room to do so), but that is best done with 2 people.

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
I also have LineX and a BedRug (overkill), the water dries without soaking thru the bedrug. You can lock the Retrax open any position, like a small opening at tailgate for air to flow. Not sure how much temp difference it makes, having the bedrug has to be way cooler than LineX alone would be.

Gatorhunter

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I’ve had decent luck with rough country accessories. Just bought a folding soft cover for mine. Wanted something I could take on and off easily for road trips.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
May have found the perfect one for me...Extang solid fold 2.0. Mounts in minutes and is removable WITHOUT tools....

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Mine's been on my Raptor since I bought it 10 years ago, I think it's a Lomax folder like your Extang. Zero complaints, doesn't leak, no drilling (I don't think), but you do need tools

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Truck beds are supposed to be uncovered except for when hauling furniture in the rain. In that case...

images

And just ignore the puddle of water standing on this guy's truck... :whistle:

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
I had one on my last truck that was a roll up thing that had rail attachments with velcro. Worked like a champ. Not sure the cost, but it was good when deployed and didn't take up much room when rolled up. If I was going to get a cover for my current truck. That would be what I would look for.

If mine wasn't this brand, it was something just like it:

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
No bed cover on my truck
We take my truck on vacation and to the beach and such....how else are you going to keep luggage, fishing rods, surfboards and such out of the rain and secure when on the road? They also improve your gas mileage about 2-3 miles per gallon overall.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
We take my truck on vacation and to the beach and such....how else are you going to keep luggage, fishing rods, surfboards and such out of the rain and secure when on the road? They also improve your gas mileage about 2-3 miles per gallon overall.
Well, I didn’t buy a V8 truck to save on gas. All that other sh*t can get wet other than the luggage which fits easily in the back seat with it folded up.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
It doesn't hurt for any of that stuff to get wet. Even the luggage can be wrapped in a tarp in case it rains. :rolleyes3:

Well, I didn’t buy a V8 truck to save on gas. All that other sh*t can get wet other than the luggage which fits easily in the back seat with it folded up.
This ^ and if you have kids, put them in the bed of the truck with the luggage in the back seat if need be... :lol2:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Well, I didn’t buy a V8 truck to save on gas
Value/benefit....if you think about it the thing would likely pay for itself many times over at $4.00 per gallon plus(I only run premium)and it comes off in minutes without tools if you need an open bed.
I don't care so much about a surfboard of fishing rods getting wet as much as I do them "disappearing" if I decide to stop and get something to eat on the road going or coming...You've never traveled with my wife if you think you can fit all of her luggage plus the kid(s) in the the back part of the cab when going for a weeks or more vacation....

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Value/benefit....if you think about it the thing would likely pay for itself many times over at $4.00 per gallon plus(I only run premium)and it comes off in minutes without tools if you need an open bed.
I don't care so much about a surfboard of fishing rods getting wet as much as I do them "disappearing" if I decide to stop and get something to eat on the road going or coming...You've never traveled with my wife if you think you can fit all of her luggage plus the kid(s) in the the back part of the cab when going for a weeks or more vacation....
Sounds like you need a full size van instead of a pick-up. Too bad they don’t make station wagons anymore, Nancy.
Car Wagon GIF by Discovery

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator