True Detective, Season 3 (spoilers ahoy!)

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
The second I heard Edward Hoyt’s voice in this last episode I was like “oh shyt it’s Merle from the walking dead!”

Can’t believe it’s almost over. Great season

DocZaius

Founding Member
Return to Monke
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Agreed, he's such a great villain.

Not much to say about episode 7, the story is developing pretty much as expected from all the fan discussion.

The finale will be interesting, though. Exactly what happened to Julie? Did she escape? Was she let go? Is she alive in 2015? What did Hays and Hoyt talk about? Did Hays give up on the investigation because Hoyt threatened his family?

Quite a few loose ends to tie up in the last episode.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Agreed, he's such a great villain.

Not much to say about episode 7, the story is developing pretty much as expected from all the fan discussion.

The finale will be interesting, though. Exactly what happened to Julie? Did she escape? Was she let go? Is she alive in 2015? What did Hays and Hoyt talk about? Did Hays give up on the investigation because Hoyt threatened his family?

Quite a few loose ends to tie up in the last episode.
I specifically remember season 1 being slow to develop but once you got to the end you were like “holy crap”. Then everything from point A to point Z all makes sense and the show just blows your mind. That’s how this season is making me feel. Idk if it’s better than the first, that’s purely personal judgement based, but it’s damn good regardless. You really feel for these characters

DocZaius

Founding Member
Return to Monke
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure how I feel about that ending. No real surprises, no real villains defeated. The case solved, of course, but no justice done.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure how I feel about that ending. No real surprises, no real villains defeated. The case solved, of course, but no justice done.

The Mrs and I found it to be disappointing.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
It loses its strangeness and darkness at the end. Just became one mess up that blossomed out of control and ruined a lot of people’s lives. Not a lot was unexpected. Yeah, the ending was pretty disappointing. The season had a ton of promise and this could have gone a million ways and they went bland with it.

Musclepug

never go full retard
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2018
i just watched the entire season yesterday and today (took a sick day today) i enjoyed it , wrapped it up nicely . i really liked the time hops and the reference to season 1 ( now i gotta rewatch that). why the nam snippet at the end? were they just being artsy?

Musclepug

never go full retard
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2018
Btw, I mentioned on the other thread Sinner on Netflix with Jessica beil has a true detective vibe. I only watched season 1, it's got a good flow and episodes are 40ish minutes

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
i just watched the entire season yesterday and today (took a sick day today) i enjoyed it , wrapped it up nicely . i really liked the time hops and the reference to season 1 ( now i gotta rewatch that). why the nam snippet at the end? were they just being artsy?

The wife had a theory right after it, that the whole season was a dilusion that he was killed in the brush in 'Nam.

DocZaius

Founding Member
Return to Monke
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Btw, I mentioned on the other thread Sinner on Netflix with Jessica beil has a true detective vibe. I only watched season 1, it's got a good flow and episodes are 40ish minutes

Plus Jessica Biel.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
In the end this was a fairly formulaic story. I didn't like the season much at all. Way too much unneeded relationship/character development between the cop and his wife that got boring and ate up time and not enough actual things to keep my interest. And am I the only one who couldn't understand half the stuff the black cop was saying? He mumbled and made hrrumphing noises all the way through the series. o_O

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
It’s got to be something a little deeper and darker than these theories though. They spent 2 years writing it to bring it back to S1 level darkness just for it to be an accident?

This comment kinda sums it up for me. What made Season 1 so epic was the unsettling mood for most of the season, utilizing the landscape as a character in and of itself, and the excellent character dialogue.

This season did its best to incorporate those elements, but ultimately failed to truly hit the heights of the first one. As much as they tried, the overall creepiness vibe was never truly there (Season 1 was generally unsettling at times in a suspenseful way, not a horror way); and the dialogue between the central characters was also not quite there. I get that many crimes out there boil down to some form of accident; but on a true crime show--that doesn't make for riveting entertainment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.