Truth Takes: Florida takes down Utah

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Now that we have game tape, the coaches will do their one on ones they've talked about where they show them things they did that were not fundamentally sound or poor and coach them up on how to fix it. I think some D issues were more scheme than players. Not all, but some.

Always heard about film review, but assumed 1:1 would be too big a time sink and limited in teaching. I’d assume doing review by position group so good players get the kudos earned in front of peers and others see/hear what to do right, and any mistakes are used to teach ALL what not to do and why.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
That Peach Bowl meet up was a quick, but nice affair. I know pics are lurking on this board somewhere.

So I re-watched the defense portion of the game last night during the FSU game.

Something to watch is the cushion we were giving Utah. Many of their passing plays exploited it. If they weren’t rolling out (thus negating half or more of the pass rush), they were getting the ball out in 2 seconds or less. For perspective, in the 3rd quarter an unblocked Utah defender forced AR to throw an incompletion at the feet of Zip (I think). The unblocked defender took 2 seconds to get to AR unblocked.

My point is, things we did on the backside were not helping our DL by allowing Rising to throw quick passes to his first read. Also, some well designed Utah plays to create space early on the play they deserve credit for.
It seems like I heard on some podcast somewhere that about between 75 and 80% of their passing yards last season came on throws between 1-7 yards. Meaning that it should not have come as any surprise that they were going to be getting the ball out that quickly. It’s only been one game, so I am going to give Toney the benefit of the doubt on this one and assume that he ran a very vanilla, base form of his defensive scheme, so it will be interesting to watch what happens the rest of the way with him.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
It seems like I heard on some podcast somewhere that about between 75 and 80% of their passing yards last season came on throws between 1-7 yards. Meaning that it should not have come as any surprise that they were going to be getting the ball out that quickly. It’s only been one game, so I am going to give Toney the benefit of the doubt on this one and assume that he ran a very vanilla, base form of his defensive scheme, so it will be interesting to watch what happens the rest of the way with him.

Watching Toney's film from Louisiana, he doesn't seem to have DB's play as far off as we did at times Saturday. Based on what we saw from our team Saturday I'm hoping it was more vanilla to allow the quick throws. I'm wondering if more zone would've helped. For example, there was an angle route, which I think might've been Kuithe's last reception (we were up 22-19 when he had his last catch)that Burney played outside leverage on, which is correct, but the problem is when there is no one in the middle for you to funnel them to it is an easy pitch and catch. Definitely things to clean up. Just interesting that when I watched for pass rush purposes how much we limited our pass rush by not forcing Rising to take the time to scan the field.

Always heard about film review, but assumed 1:1 would be too big a time sink and limited in teaching. I’d assume doing review by position group so good players get the kudos earned in front of peers and others see/hear what to do right, and any mistakes are used to teach ALL what not to do and why.

Could be, but there could also be something consistent like getting lined up or a technique that one play could be used rather than every snap it happened telling the player it is something to work on for the week.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
When an OLB is playing outside leverage, it is designed to funnel the receiver to the middle where another LB should be covering. Its a zone coverage. That OLB will typically have the flat and is already cheating that way and should sit on the hash to 3 yards outside the has until something threatens the flat, the MLB will have middle, and the other MLB will sit on the other has with flat responsibility. With a 160 feet wide football field going from middle out is 80 feet. MLB will have hash to hash, OLBs will have hash to sideline with overlap. So if you sit in the middle of your zone, you really only have to cover 5 yards left or right.

With the quick throws and a mobile QB, you should play more zone (so the DBs don't have their back to the QB), but zone doesn't mean LOOSE coverage. You CAN cover the receiver sitting down in your zone really tight and still cover your zone. It seems too often defenders run to a spot and react to the throw to a receiver in their zone instead of moving to the receiver IN their zone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.