Truth Takes: My Blue Cowbell

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Yes, I own a blue cowbell. Why? It was a Christmas gift from my older sister several years ago who saw something blue (and she knows I'm a Gator), knew it somehow related to football, and got me it. I was going to take it to Starkville if I went this year, I decided not to, but boy, wouldn't it be fun to have cowbells used against #failstate.

So, 4 weeks into the season and we can use the transitive property (which is always 100% accurate in college football. Kentucky beat us by 5 (ok 11, but a fumble at the end of the game that had no bearing on anything) or 2 (because of a made field goal that was called missed). Kentucky beat #failstate by 21 without a TD on the last play. Therefore, we are 10-19 points better than Mississippi State. And that's the transitive property.

Now, moving on to reality that includes factors like road game vs. home game and other factors. This game comes down to 3 things:
  1. Tackling- Last week the return of David Reese was major as he is a sure tackler and the rest of the team showed improvement on tackling. If you re-watch the UK game you will see that our D was in the proper position for short gains or losses multiple times, but failed to make the tackles. The past few weeks have been the most consistent tackling we've seen in the last two years. Is it perfect? No, but it's visibly getting better. If our team can get into position like they did against UK (who was vastly underrated in my opinion), they can slow down # failstate's running game. Not stop it, but slow it down. If they can force Fitz to pass, the chances of a win increase dramatically...as long as they don't allow 50+ yard bombs on 3rd and 15.
  2. Line play- If the O-Line and D-Line play like they did last week, it will be a great night in Starkville. Don't get me wrong O-line still isn't even average yet, but they did better. Heggie may be pushing the interior to get better or get benched and that's a good thing. Even better if we can run the ball like last week. Yardage was a misnomer with so many short drives, but the redzone touchdown rate is the highest its been in years.
  3. Play-calling creativity- Mullen has said and many pundits of echoed that #failstate has the best D-line in the nation (or partially). Our O-line may not be in the top 2/3 in the nation. I know I echo this week after week, but its true, you can partially get around bad line play with good play-calling. Heck, we still haven't seen hardly any jet sweeps (if at all), one end around, and other plays that even faking will cause a defense to hesitate. Opposing defenses have been playing off of the receivers to help negate Franks' arm for the deep ball. Take advantages with slants, ins, outs, hitches, and then when the corners move up, take said routes and add "and go" at the end. Screens can work (unless Lewis is blocking), then fake the screen and draw up the middle. Also, roll the pocket, Franks does look more comfortable rolling. If they sell out to him rolling rights, shovel pass to a receiver running the opposite direction or reverse or throw back to a RB who fakes the block and slides toward the opposite side line. We have the athletes, Swain, Jefferson, Grimes, Toney, Hammond, Scarlett, Perine, and Pierce to name a few to be dangerous, but need to be creative at getting them the ball to let them do their thing. Calling routes that are simple reads (see above, does this and benefits Franks development).

Overall, I'm not sure how I feel about the Showdown in Starkville. A place we are 1-3 since 1990. Even then it was more of a struggle than it should have been with Tebow vs. Mullen's first squad. Mississippi State, the last non-Georgia SEC team we faced at a neutral site (Orlando '91), the last team we faced not on a Saturday in the regular season ('92) and whose best coach ever we took from them. I honestly believe Mullen and Grantham knowing MSU helps more than the other way around. They know the players on deep level, strengths and weaknesses, Moorehead doesn't know our players like that. They know Mullen's Fitz offense, we are running a different version of his offense. They have Bob Shoop.

I don't pick against UF, I'm not sorry.

Florida 17 #failstate 13

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Great analysis, nothing to take issue with. I’m a bit simpler in my thoughts, and if state can disrupt franks with that d-line of theirs I’m not sure we can win. He hasn’t shown the ability to handle pressure, something seasoned qbs can struggle with.

But, I’m with you, gators show up and earn this one.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The Truth lies somewhere in between ... like :
"The shortest distance between two points is in the middle."

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Reese is really amazing between the hash marks reading north/south plays and just destroying them. He makes our run defense so much better. But, he seems a little slow vs stuff that goes outside or drags receivers across the formation in front of him. He's raising the squad's level of play tho.

We made some good ball plays in the defensive backfield but a lot of it was last ditch stuff and there were several times UT WRs got free behind our guys. If Fitzgerald gets time it could hurt, bad. Pass rush has to get there without going third and Grantham.

Your number 2 point is the key. If we get pushed around badly in the trenches on offense and defense it'll be a long night.

If the defense holds MSU's offense and keeps it close, maybe we can break a couple of big plays to smash and grab your 17-13 outcome.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Yes, I own a blue cowbell. Why? It was a Christmas gift from my older sister several years ago who saw something blue (and she knows I'm a Gator), knew it somehow related to football, and got me it. I was going to take it to Starkville if I went this year, I decided not to, but boy, wouldn't it be fun to have cowbells used against #failstate.

So, 4 weeks into the season and we can use the transitive property (which is always 100% accurate in college football. Kentucky beat us by 5 (ok 11, but a fumble at the end of the game that had no bearing on anything) or 2 (because of a made field goal that was called missed). Kentucky beat #failstate by 21 without a TD on the last play. Therefore, we are 10-19 points better than Mississippi State. And that's the transitive property.

Now, moving on to reality that includes factors like road game vs. home game and other factors. This game comes down to 3 things:
  1. Tackling- Last week the return of David Reese was major as he is a sure tackler and the rest of the team showed improvement on tackling. If you re-watch the UK game you will see that our D was in the proper position for short gains or losses multiple times, but failed to make the tackles. The past few weeks have been the most consistent tackling we've seen in the last two years. Is it perfect? No, but it's visibly getting better. If our team can get into position like they did against UK (who was vastly underrated in my opinion), they can slow down # failstate's running game. Not stop it, but slow it down. If they can force Fitz to pass, the chances of a win increase dramatically...as long as they don't allow 50+ yard bombs on 3rd and 15.
  2. Line play- If the O-Line and D-Line play like they did last week, it will be a great night in Starkville. Don't get me wrong O-line still isn't even average yet, but they did better. Heggie may be pushing the interior to get better or get benched and that's a good thing. Even better if we can run the ball like last week. Yardage was a misnomer with so many short drives, but the redzone touchdown rate is the highest its been in years.
  3. Play-calling creativity- Mullen has said and many pundits of echoed that #failstate has the best D-line in the nation (or partially). Our O-line may not be in the top 2/3 in the nation. I know I echo this week after week, but its true, you can partially get around bad line play with good play-calling. Heck, we still haven't seen hardly any jet sweeps (if at all), one end around, and other plays that even faking will cause a defense to hesitate. Opposing defenses have been playing off of the receivers to help negate Franks' arm for the deep ball. Take advantages with slants, ins, outs, hitches, and then when the corners move up, take said routes and add "and go" at the end. Screens can work (unless Lewis is blocking), then fake the screen and draw up the middle. Also, roll the pocket, Franks does look more comfortable rolling. If they sell out to him rolling rights, shovel pass to a receiver running the opposite direction or reverse or throw back to a RB who fakes the block and slides toward the opposite side line. We have the athletes, Swain, Jefferson, Grimes, Toney, Hammond, Scarlett, Perine, and Pierce to name a few to be dangerous, but need to be creative at getting them the ball to let them do their thing. Calling routes that are simple reads (see above, does this and benefits Franks development).

Overall, I'm not sure how I feel about the Showdown in Starkville. A place we are 1-3 since 1990. Even then it was more of a struggle than it should have been with Tebow vs. Mullen's first squad. Mississippi State, the last non-Georgia SEC team we faced at a neutral site (Orlando '91), the last team we faced not on a Saturday in the regular season ('92) and whose best coach ever we took from them. I honestly believe Mullen and Grantham knowing MSU helps more than the other way around. They know the players on deep level, strengths and weaknesses, Moorehead doesn't know our players like that. They know Mullen's Fitz offense, we are running a different version of his offense. They have Bob Shoop.

I don't pick against UF, I'm not sorry.

Florida 17 #failstate 13

Truthful - as always.

Nomadigator

Veni vidi facepalmi
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2018
CaddyShackCarl.gif

Carl profoundly emotes embecilically:
Addenda transitational ciphering factoring in the sun’s declination relative to the standard datum plane at 1810-2030 CST today, we are 7 point underdogs, and 10% of the world’s population is left-handed, therefore at least one body on MSU’s O/D can never right his assignment, the maths am quite saprophytic to me:

(27-(16-7+3)) + (28-[0|7]-7) * 0.66537ish - 7*(22*-.1) = 52-10 Gators!

Last edited:

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
On a different view why do they get to use noise makers when it is clearly against the official rules? I would like to have some electronic gator growlers to make a lot of noise when our opponent's offense was trying to run every play.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Mullen brought buzz to the Mississippi State program. Joe Moorhead did not. When the Gators with Mullen beat State at their home place it's really going to be a punch to the gut of Starkvegas.

and-just-like-that-all-them-cow-bells-stoppedd-ringin-29004436.png

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Damn, how'd I miss all the comments? I think I logged in on the app and saw people posted in other threads and missed it while I was out this morning. Anyways, seems like the difference on defense was seen in Keys 1 and 2 and wow, #3 happened the whole game. And no Chief, I have no friggin idea other than "tradition" for why the cowbells are allowed.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Damn, how'd I miss all the comments? I think I logged in on the app and saw people posted in other threads and missed it while I was out this morning. Anyways, seems like the difference on defense was seen in Keys 1 and 2 and wow, #3 happened the whole game. And no Chief, I have no friggin idea other than "tradition" for why the cowbells are allowed.

Dan called a GREAT game. Sustained drives. Even when we didn't get points we kept winning field position battles.

The double pass was Spurrier-esque balls.

Huge win for the re-build.

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Cowbells are a helluva lot less irritating than that damned warchant.

I was amused at how most of the crowd would yell "Holding" when they thought they saw it.... Of course not for themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.