Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
dark or white meat?

555e62c1a1d2940.gif

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
My mother made fried chicken that was to die for. It was incredible whether hot out of the skillet or cold out of the fridge. Mrs. Nalt's grandmother's fried chicken was the best hands down. If she had been so inclined, she could have put any and every chicken restaurant out of business. Yeah, her's was that good and better than my momma's...

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
There’s nothing like good southern fried chicken. I can’t do it right but my mom could. I just didn’t pay enough attention to how she did it when I was a kid and regret it.

We grill chicken breast just to keep them in the fridge for sandwiches and salads. I buy rotisserie chickens from Costco and debone it to freeze the meat to have on hand for burritos, soups and casseroles.

With the air fryer though I’ve gotten pretty good at wings too.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Cane’s is good but it needs salt. Nobody can touch the Chick Fil A sandwich and nuggets, IMO.
I like the Chick Fil A nuggets a lot but IMO their sandwiches aren't that good. Popeye's chicken sandwich is probably better...

Blonde Gator

Founding Member
Cynic
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
There’s nothing like good southern fried chicken. I can’t do it right but my mom could. I just didn’t pay enough attention to how she did it when I was a kid and regret it.

We grill chicken breast just to keep them in the fridge for sandwiches and salads. I buy rotisserie chickens from Costco and debone it to freeze the meat to have on hand for burritos, soups and casseroles.

With the air fryer though I’ve gotten pretty good at wings too.

LOL....I made fried chicken for the 1st Mr. BG, once. He said "my mom's is better". And that's the last time I ever even tried to make it for him. I do know how to do it now, it's a PITA, but if we ever get together again, I'll show you. It's not that hard, but it's a whole lot easier to order it from a nice little hole in the wall place with a grey haired little old lady cooking it.

Now I mostly grill chicken...then take it off the bone and make soup, chili, chicken & dumplings, etc. I used to grill 4 whole chickens at a time for that purpose (on the outside rotisserie) until I almost burned the house down when a ginormous flare-up happened. Oops.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Baked whole chicken is my favorite. My wife uses the airfryer as well to do whole chickens. If we're talking pieces, breasts grilled is what we eat the most(tonight). Fried is really good, but I eat it rarely. Whatever it is, white meat almost exclusively.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Fried. Cast iron skillet. My wife learned from her grandmother as a teenager. My waistline is appreciative.

Zaxby's chicken sandwich is pretty daggone good.

Price's Chicken Coop in Charlotte was the best I've ever had in a restaurant, unfortunately it closed back in June after 60+ years thanks to the slant eyed bastards from Wuhan.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Grew up on fried chicken. Anytime we ate at my grandmothers on my dads side it was made from scratch, perfectly cooked with all the fixings. Same with the biscuits.

as for me cooking I’ve never been able to duplicate but just depends on the mood. Some days I want wings and others I want something grilled with a nice marinade.
For quick fix Zaxbys, Chick-FilA and Popeyes all hit the mark

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Fried. Don’t fix it at home but every so often, so when I do I’ll usually buy a couple of young hens and cut them up, making sure to cut out the pulley bone. Soak the pieces overnight in milk, egg, Tabasco, S&P. This includes the livers and gizzards. Flower it and fry it in peanut oil. It doesn’t get much better.

If we want it when eating out, we’ll go to Cairo Ga and eat at Mr. Chick’s. Best restaurant chicken around. On the road if we want some, Cracker Barrel actually offers “Chicken-Fried Chicken” that is very well-seasoned. White meat only, however.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Fried. Don’t fix it at home but every so often, so when I do I’ll usually buy a couple of young hens and cut them up, making sure to cut out the pulley bone. Soak the pieces overnight in milk, egg, Tabasco, S&P. This includes the livers and gizzards. Flower it and fry it in peanut oil. It doesn’t get much better.

If we want it when eating out, we’ll go to Cairo Ga and eat at Mr. Chick’s. Best restaurant chicken around. On the road if we want some, Cracker Barrel actually offers “Chicken-Fried Chicken” that is very well-seasoned. White meat only, however.

I don’t know exactly what a gizzard is, but I’ve made it my life’s work to never find out.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My Granny made the best fried chicken. Of course she was on a chicken farm that my Dad dealt with. Every weekend we would visit for fried chicken. The bomb. As for current times I grill bone-in thighs. The seasoning can make them crispy which the Mrs. loves. That’s our gig.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020

Mrs. Nalt brags about how her grandmother would make gizzard stew when my wife was young. She said that she would try and catch her grandmother not looking and steal pieces of gizzard from the pot. She has made it a couple of times but I don't like it. IMO, that stuff would drive a maggot off of a gut wagon...:barfaway:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
My SIL is from SE Alabama and does a lot a really really good down home cooking, but her fried chicken is the bomb. She claims it is all about using a good well seasoned cast iron pan, but I suspect there’s more to it than that!

I’ve become a big fan of dry brining wings and then adding a dry rub before grilling them on the egg. They get a nice crispy edge

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I wasn't even aware it was possible for one to be related to a gizzard. But clearly, @NVGator is. I'd check past threads for his admission, but I am swamped today.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I wasn't even aware it was possible for one to be related to a gizzard. But clearly, @NVGator is. I'd check past threads for his admission, but I am swamped today.
I don’t even know what that means and therefore missed the humor. I do like chicken livers and gizzards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator