Tuesday Favorites….Hamburgers

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Who sells your favorite hamburger and what do you order on it?

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Who sells your favorite hamburger and what do you order on it?
We don’t eat burgers at restaurants/fast food joints like we once did when the kids were young and prior to Bidenomics torpedoing our budget, but if we do it’ll usually be (in order of preference and where we happen to be) 1) Five Guys 2) Whataburger 3) Culver’s. These are all Tallahassee locations and we’ll usually stop for a quick bite after a drs appt. Yep, that’s where I’m at :lol: If I‘m ordering a burger, I want cheese (American), lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles, mustard, and a dab of mayo. No ketchup on the burger, that’s for the fries and Five Guys has the best fries hands down. It’s just too bad you have to take out a loan to eat there now.

The Hobbit on Capital Circle East has a lunch special for $10 that you can get a Cheeseburger Wrap, same fixings as the aforementioned burger, with an order of fries and a drink. It’s pretty good and not so heavy on the bread. We’ve got a flattop and do smash burgers fairly regular and with the same trimmings. Used to love a burger cooked over charcoal, but will do the flattop almost exclusively now.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
I think you have to somewhat divide the more upscale burger chains from the fast food ones because they deliver different tastes.

Of the upscale ones, Relish and Five Guys would be my top two, with the rest a distant ways off. Both deliver tons of flavor and a better burger (would actually give the nod on fries to Relish too).

Of the chains, Whataburger and Cook Out are my favorites, though would pick Burger King over McD's among the big three (BK, McD's, and Wendy's). Really like Whataburger's expansion outside of Texas...they were a favorite when I lived there and like that it's more widely available now. Yes, I've had In & Out and no, don't think it's as good as they're cracked up to be. They want the more upscale recognition, yet their food is more in the Whataburger or Culver category.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
We don’t eat burgers at restaurants/fast food joints like we once did when the kids were young and prior to Bidenomics torpedoing our budget, but if we do it’ll usually be (in order of preference and where we happen to be) 1) Five Guys 2) Whataburger 3) Culver’s. These are all Tallahassee locations and we’ll usually stop for a quick bite after a drs appt. Yep, that’s where I’m at :lol: If I‘m ordering a burger, I want cheese (American), lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles, mustard, and a dab of mayo. No ketchup on the burger, that’s for the fries and Five Guys has the best fries hands down. It’s just too bad you have to take out a loan to eat there now.

The Hobbit on Capital Circle East has a lunch special for $10 that you can get a Cheeseburger Wrap, same fixings as the aforementioned burger, with an order of fries and a drink. It’s pretty good and not so heavy on the bread. We’ve got a flattop and do smash burgers fairly regular and with the same trimmings. Used to love a burger cooked over charcoal, but will do the flattop almost exclusively now.

Good choices.
We don’t buy hamburgers out too often anymore either as the ones we make at home are usually superior. We made the mistake of stopping at Five Guys once on a road trip thinking it would be cheap and easy. It was about $60 for 4 of us.

Love Whataburger when we can find it. Lettuce, tomato and ketchup only.

Blue cheese burger with bacon, lettuce and tomato is about as “weird” as I like my burger.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Whataburger is the worst burger I’ve ever had in my life. I think the school cafeteria soy burgers were better and we just used those to throw at each other.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Favorite is from a place called PJ Clark’s, and one specific location. Lettuce, onion, mayo and a few pickles.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
Whataburger is the worst burger I’ve ever had in my life. I think the school cafeteria soy burgers were better and we just used those to throw at each other.
You didn't happen to have anything to do with them closing not one, but two new locations almost immediately after they opened in Gainesville, did you?:banghead:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Had the same experience with them, when they had a location in Clearwater. Also, the burger chain Red Robin, fuch their food.

DarksideGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 8, 2017
If you ever are in Salt Lake City looking for new wives, or possibly skiing? A must go to is a little bar called The Cotton Bottom, at the bottom of Big Cottonwood Canyon. They have Garlic Burgers, never had anything come close to that flavor anywhere else. I make them at home, but still an 2nd fiddle to the real deal. They put them on a Hoagie Roll too, heavenly.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
My favorite is called the Happy Burger at a place in Huntsville called, "The Little Diner." It is 1/2 pound of beef with whatever you want on it. IT. IS. AWESOME!

My second favorite is Bubba Burger's on Kauai. The Big Bubba is the way to go...

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
For me, today and when growing up, it was Daly's (only one location still open), and Miller's Bar in Dearborn (it's "pilot" famous).

If in Gainesville, you can't go wrong getting a Big Dick with an extra side of Dick's sauce at Dick Mondell's.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
For me, today and when growing up, it was Daly's (only one location still open), and Miller's Bar in Dearborn (it's "pilot" famous).

If in Gainesville, you can't go wrong getting a Big Dick with an extra side of Dick's sauce at Dick Mondell's.
You misspelled the name...

images

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
I know a guy who says Krystal is good if he’s hungry, it’s 2 o’clock in the morning, and he’s drunk. ( No, it’s not me.)

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Many years ago, I had sef

Many years ago, we’d go to the very first Five Guys in NoVa. It was inexpensive and the burgers were the best. The burgers are still best, but damn the price now! I’d bet I’ve only been two or three times in the last couple of yesrs

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator