Tuesday Favorites....Distinctive Voices

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
No, not the voices in your head.
I'm thinking about the famous narration voices that are so distinct like Morgan Freeman and James Earl Jones.
Who would you want narrating a story for you?

Not famous but as a kid I remember my uncle's voice being so distinct. It was deep with a southern drawl but had the boom of a Baptist preacher that would command attention.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
No, not the voices in your head.
I'm thinking about the famous narration voices that are so distinct like Morgan Freeman and James Earl Jones.
Who would you want narrating a story for you?

Not famous but as a kid I remember my uncle's voice being so distinct. It was deep with a southern drawl but had the boom of a Baptist preacher that would command attention.

Keith Jackson calling a college football game.

iu

Alex.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Peter Thomas - Nova and Nature Series on PBS from the 80 to mid 90's and then Forensic Files and Medical Detectives

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Keith Jackson calling a college football game.

iu

Alex.

I agree. Though I do admit that when I think of it it’s often great memories of early-mid 90s SEC championship games. As much as I wasn’t a Verne fan, I usually associated him with the Meyer years and thus was ok with him.

I’ll add Al Michaels for NFL Games. Always been my favorite.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
gettyimages-169197288-edit_custom-e8a1af16a0105ed66f9c637d1c57985d165b6b73-s1600-c85.webp

David McCullough, who narrated many of the Ken Burns documentaries... like the Civil War.

"A week before the battle of Bull Run, Sullivan Ballou, a major in the 2nd Rhode Island Volunteers, wrote home to his wife in Smithfield."

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Though I do admit that when I think of it it’s often great memories of early-mid 90s SEC championship games. As much as I wasn’t a Verne fan, I usually associated him with the Meyer years and thus was ok with him.

In that same era... I loved to listen to this guy as well:

ron-franklin-espn-832x447.png

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
As a kid growing up, I loved listening to Curt Gowdy and Joe Garagiola calling baseball games and later Vin Scully. Mel Allen, who I only heard doing "This Week in Baseball" (as opposed to his regular job with the Yankees), was another great voice. For football, I always thought Pat Summerall had a great voice. (I enjoyed John Madden's analysis, but his voice is not memorable to me in a positive way.)

For documentaries, it seemed as a kid that they were all narrated by Alister Cooke, another great voice. @Gatordiddy is on the money about McCullough doing "The Civil War," but another great voice in that series is that of the author of the books used as the primary source: Shelby Foote. Foote had one of the most cultured Southern accents I have ever heard; I could listen to that man talk all day.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Shelby Foote

In later years, Foote told a story of how, after he had written the trilogy, he had told somebody in the Forrest family that he considered the War to have had only two real geniuses: Forrest and Abraham Lincoln. The response he got was, "We have never been very fond of Mr. Lincoln."

Note: "Mr. Lincoln" versus President Lincoln. :)

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
John Facenda

IMG_0343.jpeg

You won’t recognize his face because you probably never saw it, but his voice on the series of NFL Films was legendary. Loved them as a young man and still today!

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
In later years, Foote told a story of how, after he had written the trilogy, he had told somebody in the Forrest family that he considered the War to have had only two real geniuses: Forrest and Abraham Lincoln. The response he got was, "We have never been very fond of Mr. Lincoln."

Note: "Mr. Lincoln" versus President Lincoln. :)
Foote is buried in Memphis next to the Forrest family plot.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
My favorite sports announcer voices were Don Criqui for football and Harry Kalas for baseball. Criqui called some legendary Orange Bowls and that unforgettable Miami-San Diego playoff game in '82. He also called a lot of New Orleans Saints and Denver Broncos games at different times in my life when they were the teams I was following. Harry Kalas followed John Facenda at NFL films and did a great job there. That was a tough act to follow.

So if I had "a football life" or "a baseball life" to document, those are the guys I'd want doing it.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
I'll acknowledge the elephant in the room. Why are there so few good female narrators/voiceovers? Beth Mowens is bad, but it's not like any competition has been forthcoming. I would point out Kate Mulgrew as an example of a good female narrator/voiceover actress. A lot of material would be better in the hands of a good female voice, but there just don't seem to be that many. Too much inflection, too nasally, too sing-song, too preachy, whatever. Who are some other good ones that I'm overlooking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator