Tuesday Favorites...Something good from Covid years

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
While I think we can all agree that 2021 had a lot of negatives, what's something that changed as a direct result of covid that was a positive in your life?

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
I hate commuting. I hate having to be social at work. I hate having to sit in boring, useless meeting in an overcrowded, hot conference room with people who apparently bathe weekly. I hate people in general.

Now I get up ten min before work, grab a drink from the fridge, throw on some sweats, login, and leave the camera off. It's amazing.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Working
From
Home

Being in IT, it always bothered me when an employer was slow to go to a work from home model. I would drive to work to sit at a computer all day to do my job. COVID pushed that along and as Bacl Alley said, I it pretty sweet working from home. I go out into the field to work about 10% of the time. There are a lot of advantages to working from home.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Being in IT, it always bothered me when an employer was slow to go to a work from home model. I would drive to work to sit at a computer all day to do my job. COVID pushed that along and as Bacl Alley said, I it pretty sweet working from home. I go out into the field to work about 10% of the time. There are a lot of advantages to working from home.
I worked from home for just under 4 months when covid started. I absolutely loathed it! I could see outside how nice the weather was and my mind started thinking about all the chores/things that I needed and wanted to accomplish. I was fortunate that in July of 2020 one of my co-workers who never worked from home left for another job so the boss brought me into the office, shuffled some duties and let me start working in the office full-time.

Disclosure: I sit in the basement of a government building so I only know what the weather is like if I go upstairs to the cafeteria or to go to an appointment someplace.

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
All my court hearings, mediations, and depositions moved to Zoom during Covid. Today, evidentiary hearings are usually back in the courtroom, but the majority of events are still via Zoom. Cuts way down on the time and cost of litigation. Love it.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
All my court hearings, mediations, and depositions moved to Zoom during Covid. Today, evidentiary hearings are usually back in the courtroom, but the majority of events are still via Zoom. Cuts way down on the time and cost of litigation. Love it.
What are you? Some lawyer or judge or something?

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
I worked from home for just under 4 months when covid started. I absolutely loathed it! I could see outside how nice the weather was and my mind started thinking about all the chores/things that I needed and wanted to accomplish. I was fortunate that in July of 2020 one of my co-workers who never worked from home left for another job so the boss brought me into the office, shuffled some duties and let me start working in the office full-time.

Disclosure: I sit in the basement of a government building so I only know what the weather is like if I go upstairs to the cafeteria or to go to an appointment someplace.

Interesting. I was always able to see outside from my office, so that wasn't a big deal for me being at home. When my mind wanders, I remind myself how lucky I feel to be able to work from home. It will allow the wife and I to be able to move this spring closer to the water, now that I am not tied to a physical location.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Interesting. I was always able to see outside from my office, so that wasn't a big deal for me being at home. When my mind wanders, I remind myself how lucky I feel to be able to work from home. It will allow the wife and I to be able to move this spring closer to the water, now that I am not tied to a physical location.
Probably >80% of what I do is classified for the DoD so I can not do that from home. I'm ok with that...

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Seedy ended up working for an organization in 2022 based out of NY that never would have happened before Covid.
Previously all employees worked from the office but now they have people all across the country. It's amazing how it transformed the workforce in some industries. That Pandora's Box was opened and it will never go back.

However, during the shut-down in 2020 someone gave me sourdough starter and I'm still making sourdough bread every week. Now that's life changing!

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Probably >80% of what I do is classified for the DoD so I can not do that from home. I'm ok with that...

hmmm, that shouldn't stop you from working from home with a good VPN.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
With restaurants often being take out only, and the extra time on my hands, I became a better cook and am now in the habit of making dinner two-three times a week. While I'm not sure that's a good thing, Mrs G. thinks it fabulous.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018

You're perpetually drunk aren't you? Good lord, close the damn windows. Problem solved!

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I work for a DoD contractor and they wouldn't let us work from home on the regular. Even though I was to carry my laptop everywhere and I was on call 24/7/365. In 2020 we beefed up our security IT security model due to the situation, and they realized they could reduce office space (ie cost) if they had IT and some other financial employees could be work from home. Both my parents had health issues, so I was allowed to move closer to home to help with the family farm and my folk's health. Also allowed the Mrs and daughter to have a more laid back existence and they started to homeschool after a horrible experience with a school up here.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Absolutely NOT! Because of the nature of the work we do, there is no way that our Government FSO would ever sign off on that.

But for some weird reason, they are pushing to move some of our stuff to the "cloud" though... :crazy:
You just need this... I'm guessing you're the guy who left his laptop unattended. Rookie move for sure.
lego.jpg

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
With restaurants often being take out only, and the extra time on my hands, I became a better cook and am now in the habit of making dinner two-three times a week. While I'm not sure that's a good thing, Mrs G. thinks it fabulous.
You could write a cookbook
50 Ways to Cook Your Pasta

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
COVID brought out a lot of authoritarians and sheeple. They are now identified and can be properly accorded the disrespect they deserve. For that, I am thankful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator