UF Announces Dan Mullen as HC $36 Million over 6 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Well fellow gators, I hope for the best but feel like Stricklin personally kicked me in the balls with a steel boot. So many quality candidates and we hire Mullen.
So many quality candidates? You better call Tennessee, Arkansas and everyone else because they cannot find them.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
This thread is going to be pretty interesting in 2 years.....cant wait, just set a reminder in my iCal

danicus007

Nov 20, 2017
Whats the deal with his wife and publix? Can someone explain?
There was a thread here a few weeks ago where she was interviewed for local radio in Mississippi and inferred that UF fans are such awful horrible scourge of the Earth that she had to literally drive ALL THE WAY to Orlando just do her grocery shopping to get away so she wouldn't be heckled or hear about losing a game.

Crunchtime

Sep 18, 2014
I could tell from your comments in the Kelly discussion that no matter what Stricklin did, you were not going to like it. So I admit that I don't give your posts that much attention. Question, I am I contradicting myself by responding? Hmmm.
Not true. While I would have only been truly excited with CK or Frost....there are a number of coaches that would have just received the "[shrug], oh well" response from me and many others. There was two Taggart and Mullen that absolutely were the worst possible option in my mind and one of them won the lottery and is getting 7M a year for winning 8 or 9 games a year. I suppose you are happy with this outcome which I will not attack you for BUT if you are going around just marking my comments with dislike, give me a reason other than I don't agree with you. Facts as to why this appears to be a good hire would be preferred but if you don't have those (they are few and far between) please feel free to bloviate on the redeeming qualities of our new illustrious leader. Meanwhile, I will provide 9 years of historical evidence as to why DM @ MSU give little to no reason to expect a positive experience @ UF. Not sure but you may have heard the saying that history is the greatest predictor of future event and DM history as a head coach does not bode well for his future as head coach. The facts are pretty clear.

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
What does Mac have to do with another crappy hire?
Everything. Barely enough players to field a team, poor skill position play, maybe the worst linebacker corps I can remember in college ball. But we expect the best of the best to want us.

MooseSmack

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
What does Mac have to do with another crappy hire?

Who else is out their that would have said yes. Memphis is re doing Norvel's contract not coming. I think Foley screwed the university. 2 really bad hires in a row... I think our stock is a lot lower than most of us realize... Did you watch that game Saturday or all season?

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Mullen knows Florida. That has to be a positive. He knows the situation here and where we can improve as program I would think. Go gators!

"Mullen knows Florida's bank account number. That has to be a positive. He knows the situation here and where we can improve as program I would think. Go gators!" There, fixed it.

Nov 26, 2017
Who else is out their that would have said yes. Memphis is re doing Norvel's contract not coming. I think Foley screwed the university. 2 really bad hires in a row... I think our stock is a lot lower than most of us realize... Did you watch that game Saturday or all season?

It surely can't be so low that the coach of UCF won't even grant us an interview, can it?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I love how our fanbase now makes excuses for all his failures at MSU. We are gutless.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I fear for Mrs. Mullen when she goes to the grocery store. Hopefully she uses Amazon home delivery.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Not true. While I would have only been truly excited with CK or Frost....there are a number of coaches that would have just received the "[shrug], oh well" response from me and many others. There was two Taggart and Mullen that absolutely were the worst possible option in my mind and one of them won the lottery and is getting 7M a year for winning 8 or 9 games a year. I suppose you are happy with this outcome which I will not attack you for BUT if you are going around just marking my comments with dislike, give me a reason other than I don't agree with you. Facts as to why this appears to be a good hire would be preferred but if you don't have those (they are few and far between) please feel free to bloviate on the redeeming qualities of our new illustrious leader. Meanwhile, I will provide 9 years of historical evidence as to why DM @ MSU give little to no reason to expect a positive experience @ UF. Not sure but you may have heard the saying that history is the greatest predictor of future event and DM history as a head coach does not bode well for his future as head coach. The facts are pretty clear.

Okay first, I'm not enamored with this hire. Mullen, Taggart, and Strong would have been my 3rd tier choices. I believe that they can all be successful here, but I wanted a young, innovative coach to shake up the SEC. And I'm not sure why we jumped from Frost (who I'm not surprised that we didn't get) straight to the third tier.

That being said, we got Mullen. And I do believe that he can be successful. You discount his record at MSU and the recruiting and competition environment, I don't. People on here quote his record against ranked teams but go silent when the same thing is said about SOS. People give Meyer all the credit with Leak, Tebow and the 2 NCs yet don't seem to realize the drop off after he left.

In summary, I'm not enamored with the hire but I'm not as pessimistic as some on here. And I really don't like the F-this and F-that and the name calling, etc. It bring nothing to the discussion.

Last edited:

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
At this point, a few minutes of microphone time from Megan to give the token 'all is fair in love and war' apology, reiterate she was there loving the Glory runs with us and still likes the GNation. Genuine or not who cares, but there seems to be enough animosity to detract from a big mission Dan has in front of him. I'll reserve losing my mind if we don't put together a formidable OC, DC (or some new blood if Shannon retained), S&C program/director. Now the big question, is the AD going to finally pony up on the support side of things which seems to put us at a preparation disadvantage both at game time and on the recruiting road. I can't do anything. Mullen has signed on to be a Gator again. So, he's on my damn team again. He's in his forties, young enough for rebuilds... he's been practicing for 9 years on how to be a HC if I only had more real play makers, well he's come to the right area to find that. May this deja vu blast from the past and twilight zone coaching search be the beginning of something fun to watch. Go Gators!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator