Gator Baseball UF Baseball: Gators vs. Ole Piss

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Baseball travels for a 3 game set against Ole Piss. Gators come in on a 3 game SEC win streak after sweeping an awful Alabama team at home. On paper these 2 teams look the same UF is 21-10 (4-5 in SEC) and Ole Piss is 20-10 (5-4 in SEC).

I will be traveling all weekend so hope Ocala, et al can keep the updates.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I thought maybe we weren't playing baseball this year. Glad to see that UF hasn't given up the game.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Baseball travels for a 3 game set against Ole Piss. Gators come in on a 3 game SEC win streak after sweeping an awful Alabama team at home. On paper these 2 teams look the same UF is 21-10 (4-5 in SEC) and Ole Piss is 20-10 (5-4 in SEC).

I will be traveling all weekend so hope Ocala, et al can keep the updates.
Got you covered, One thing I read this morning is that Tommy Mace (5-2, 3.42 ERA) is starting tonight vs. Will Etheridge (4-2, 1.72 ERA). O'Sullivan has not named his starters for Saturday & Sunday, which indicates it may be pitchers other than Leftwich & Dyson, since for the past several weekends he's put his rotation out there in advance. Kendrick Calilao has 35 RBI's, leading the team, and is 5th in the SEC and 1st in the nation among freshmen in that category.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Very interesting with the pitching scenario. Between Leftwich's finger and Dyson's head, perhaps Sully has decided to wing it and go with a hotter hand. It might weaken the bullpen but you can't win games on the weekend by falling behind in games early by large margins.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Due to rain coming into Oxford, MS Sunday, they will play a Saturday doubleheader starting at 1 PM. Both games will now be on SEC+, according to Floridagators.com.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Ole Miss up 3-2 bottom of the 4th. Our 2 runs came in the top of the 3rd on a 2-out RBI single from Brady McConnell, who drove in Acton and Fabian, who both walked. Rebels countered with 2 HR's in the bottom of the inning to take the lead. Ole Miss starting pitcher left the game with a finger issue with 2 out, 2 on in the top of the 4th. Tommy Mace gave up 3 hits in the 1st, 2 more in the 2nd, 4 in the 3rd and 3 more in the bottom of the 4th before being taken out with 1 out and runners on 1st and 3rd. Mace threw 50 pitches in 3.1 innings, but the Ole Miss batters hit him hard. Jordan Butler now on the mound.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
7-4 Ole Miss in the 5th inning.....

Last edited:

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
Woof. Looks like we won't even be hosting a regional unless things turn around quick this year. Same mediocre hitting that we have had for years and now we seem to have combined it with mediocre pitching. Not good.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
12-4 final. 5 hits for UF, 17 for Ole Miss. Terrible pitching and McConnell got 3 of our 5 hits. Bad night all around.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Baseball is the most boring sport when your team doesn't deserve to win. I feel sorry for our guys, that they won't have much fun this year.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I've been a casual follower of the baseball team over the years. But, I can't remember the last time our pitching was this bad. Is it just youth or did Sully miss on these guys?

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
Hitting spots, scouting hitters for weaknesses and late movement are the Kings of baseball pitching . We have none of that right now. No one wants a guy that can't hit 92 on the gun. Maddox dominated guys for 10 years and never broke 90 with his FB.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
O'Sullivan has had the winningest baseball program in the nation over this decade playing in the toughest league, but we can't expect every team to be in the CWS. Pitching & defense are subpar this year for Sully teams and maybe this one won't make it. But long term I have every confidence in Florida baseball and the recruits he brings in and develops.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Tyler Dyson, 3-1, 5.34 ERA on the mound for Florida in Game 1, starting at 1 pm on SEC+. Ole Miss pitching freshman lefty Doug Nikhazy, 2-2, 3.23 ERA.

Last edited:

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
O'Sullivan has had the winningest baseball program in the nation over this decade playing in the toughest league, but we can't expect every team to be in the CWS. Pitching & defense are subpar this year for Sully teams and maybe this one won't make it. But long term I have every confidence in Florida baseball and the recruits he brings in and develops.
Wholeheartedly agree!

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
2-0 Ole Miss after 1. Tyler "Head Case" Dyson gives up a base hit, then a 2-out walk, uncorks a wild pitch to advance them to 2nd & 3rd, then a passed ball allows a run to score. Then he walks another batter to put men on 1st & 3rd. Matt Damon then throws to 2nd on an attempted steal, allowing the runner to score from 3rd, even though they got the 3rd out in a rundown.

Last edited:

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Dyson taken out of the game after 3.2 innings pitched down 5-1, 81 pitches thrown, 4 hits, 4 walks, 1 hit by pitch, 2 wild pitches, 5 runs (none earned). A passed ball by Smith and another by his replacement, Girand, led to 3 unearned runs and an error by Young at 2nd led to the other 2. In the 4th inning Young made an error, Dyson walked a batter then hit a guy, followed by a 2-run double with 2 outs, causing his exit. Hunter Ruth got the last out with runners on 2nd & 3rd with no more damage.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Sorry folks. I'm turning the game off to do something more entertaining. Ruth gave up 6 runs on 8 hits on only 26 pitches in the bottom of the 5th to run his year ERA to 6.08. Gators down 11-1 as I sign off. Will check in on Game #2 later. Last night and today, they look like a bad, overmatched team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.