UF to have worst RB situation in SEC according to Newberg

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
https://www.scout.com/college/football/story/1552781-sec-running-back-rankings

Newberg has us as the worst team as far as RBs go. I am starting to think he has an anti UF bias after his recent articles as you could easily make an argument for many other teams in there to be worse. Ole Miss, KY, Tenn and Vandy all had a lower per carry average than we did last season and Tenn and Vandy were quite a bit lower. Placing us behind Vandy etc. is almost comical imo despite our offensive line issues.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm actually fairly confident in our RB situation. Their production will rely heavily on the performance of the OL though.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n231865 said:
I'm actually fairly confident in our RB situation. Their production will rely heavily on the performance of the OL though.

The O line will be key and having a respected passing game so teams can't just crowd the line most plays.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Thats crazy, RB and secondary are two areas where we are loaded. There is zero issue at that position.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n231863 said:
https://www.scout.com/college/football/story/1552781-sec-running-back-rankings

Newberg has us as the worst team as far as RBs go. I am starting to think he has an anti UF bias after his recent articles as you could easily make an argument for many other teams in there to be worse. Ole Miss, KY, Tenn and Vandy all had a lower per carry average than we did last season and Tenn and Vandy were quite a bit lower. Placing us behind Vandy etc. is almost comical imo despite our offensive line issues.

Never, in the history of football, has there been a so called major program with an entire returning offensive line with zero starts and only one player with just a handful of snaps as "experience". To top it off the other 5 returners are RFr. to go with the lone So. The remainder are incoming high schoolers to play against many 22-23 year old men.
An ill-wind is gathering, ignore it if you wish.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Haven't we learned that McGriff is going to be eligible, and learned this prior to his article?

That said, he does have points - only proven back is KT, and Lane does sound like he's in JMac's doghouse despite his lone game explosion of running in the bowl (said another way, Lane has only shown us ONE good game - perhaps due to being third on the chart so the opportunities weren't presented, but it still only ONE game....and whatever JMac got from spring evaluation when Lane wasn't 'injured'). And he's right that we have Scarlett & Conkrite (unproven at this level) and perhaps McGriff (unproven at NCAA-SEC level and may not play that position) coming in. We DO have a shaky line and weak QB play, putting defensive focus on the RBs. I don't see it as a slam against us, it's all true. Where I agree he is off base is in evaluating us against other teams. I do not want to believe we are worse than Vandy, KY, TN, etc. I mean, we have essentially the same weak line and QB play as last year when we did better than those teams, and I don't believe the other teams have upgraded better than us going into the next year. Still, at the end, I see us in the bottom third of the conference for running, and probably worse for passing, until JMac shows us what miracles he and his staff can do with the talent we will have.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68;n231880 said:
Never, in the history of football, has there been a so called major program with an entire returning offensive line with zero starts and only one player with just a handful of snaps as "experience". To top it off the other 5 returners are RFr. to go with the lone So. The remainder are incoming high schoolers to play against many 22-23 year old men.
Lies.

dubster1

Chip Kelly is a done deal
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
that idiot don't know what he is talking about. imo I think its going to be a staple of our offense!

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68;n231880 said:

I know it isn't a great situation but I still think no way are we at the bottom in rushing talent in the SEC. I think that will rear its ugly head more in the passing game. I also don't think a team like Vandy will be out rushing us either when they go against their SEC competition.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I could understand if he said we had the worst O-Line situation in the SEC, but RB? :headshake:

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Newberg is an FSU mouthpiece who basically recruits for them. In other words he slams Florida every chance he gets!

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We have talent at Running Back but not a whole lot of proven talent. Taylor took a huge step back last year, and Lane has one game of experience. I think we are one of the top 2 or 3 schools in the SEC on talent at running back, and could have the most talent at the position. And due to that we shouldn't be anywhere in the bottom quarter of the league. But this group has a lot to prove. Taylor has to stop dancing the gap, and Lane just has to put more on film.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n231919 said:
We have talent at Running Back but not a whole lot of proven talent. Taylor took a huge step back last year, and Lane has one game of experience. I think we are one of the top 2 or 3 schools in the SEC on talent at running back, and could have the most talent at the position. And due to that we shouldn't be anywhere in the bottom quarter of the league. But this group has a lot to prove. Taylor has to stop dancing the gap, and Lane just has to put more on film.

Huh? You think Vandy, S.Caroline, A&M, Ole Miss, Kentucky and Mississippi St. have more proven talent? How so?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yeah, I'm not seeing that. We probably won't be great with the OL being what it is, and the fact that KT and Lane have been decent but not great to this point. While I'm excited about the Freshmen, I think that's most likely a year out and we shouldn't be hanging our hats on them. But I agree with J and some of the others that several programs have a worse RB situation.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
This guy clearly is clueless... Muschamp said we were loaded!

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n231927 said:
Huh? You think Vandy, S.Caroline, A&M, Ole Miss, Kentucky and Mississippi St. have more proven talent? How so?

Didn't say they did... what I said is we do not have.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;231949 said:
Didn't say they did... what I said is we do not have.

Fair enough. I probably should've read past the first sentence…

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Although I don't agree with Newberg, I understand that it is open season on Florida right now. We are at our weakest point in three decades right now and everyone is lining up to take their shots. Once we turn it around, it will go back to people continuing to hate us but being forced to respect us.
Until we show drastic improvement on the field, get used to this kind of biased crap from multiple sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.