UF's Football Facilities - Finally begins (on lacrosse)

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018

In all seriousness, I’d say Billy D was...

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while

OIP.J9pR8rsb_pKiwzBG-RY9vgHaDu

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

5-star, your billboard photo brought back a fond memory.
On our dive club's vacation to the British Virgin Islands aboard The Tropic Bird, our scattered out very experienced group was underwater when all of a sudden a diving master was approaching with a stringing-tail of inexperienced divers just pumping away to keep up with him. He "sneaked up" on our dive leader. When he tapped him on the shoulder & he slowly turned around, they both did that sudden taken-aback head-jerk like it was rehearsed. Hilarity at 40 feet.

Topside, our dive captain told us that guy's story. Flint was hired to take a Marlborro commercial crew out for a dive-shoot. You know, gorgeous turquoise waters, steep lush-green mountain islands background. Well, the "star" model kept giving the shoot so many problem demands that the director looked over at Flint, who was doing ship's work. Director decided Flint was as handsome as the model, naturally rugged-looking. So he fired the model and Flint showed up on that worldwide magazine & billboard ad, on the boat rail lighting up a Marlboro in a dripping wetsuit.

At our onboard supper, (prepared by our Norwegian all-girl crew of 2) I asked Flint why he was digging-out swimming so fast? He said all dive leaders do that with a bevy of unseasoned divers. Swim so fast that they quickly tire and are happy to return to the boat = less duration for one of them to get into trouble. I mean they were going too fast to enjoy the sights. Our dive captain having an internal clock on when his divers were getting low on air brought us up much later. He was shocked to find we all had 35% of our air left. We all breathed calmly & slow.

That "Tropic Bird" boat was a WWII German destroyer that first hit the water just after the war ended. It still had the heavy-plated window battens. As a dive rig, it was designed to handle 48 divers - 13 of only us made that voyage. At night, we went to the main island where it was carnival time. About 6 of us were leaning on the outer "Dodge-em Cars" rail when I felt something was wrong?? The natives were actually dodging each other as the name said. We got our turn and explained & taught how to have smashing fun. That amusement ride was very quiet when we first approached. When we left, it could be heard all over the grounds.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
They'll finish actually installing that mess when I have a long white beard

... heard Brad is trying to get Rip van Winkle to cut the Grand Opening yellow ribbon, which is much faded now.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
All cheap Chinese materials, but it's the labor schedule that is really maddening.
Oh... it isn't cheap. Material costs have gone up 3-10x depending on the component and labor has doubled.

FOOLEY "saving" money..... AGAIN.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Just a reminder, Bammer finished a 80 million facility in four months in 2020.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.