UPDATE: QB Malik Zaire officially a Gator

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Cheering for your Gators and liking the coach are not mutually exclusive.

I agree with that completely. I was certainly not a Muschamp fan.

As I said in my original post, I understand people being unhappy with the direction of the program, the coaching or play at a particular position.

That was not at all the point that I was addressing.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with that completely. I was certainly not a Muschamp fan.
Im going to trust you on this but it is not quite what I remember. However, I am getting older and more forgetful.

Every time I go to GSMB, my computer explodes with virus warnings so Im not taking the chance on searching there, Ole Buddy.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
No it's not. Nuss's playbook is complex from what I've read and there's 100s of plays, the formations and terms. He may understand most of it but it won't be to the level he needs to succeed. He's also a bad fit for this offense. See Treon, Devin, etc for reasons why this is going to be a disaster.

Zaire is not Treon. Do you think we lose to Michigan with Zaire starting?

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Im going to trust you on this bjt it is not quite what I remember.

Ebery time I go to GSMB, my computer explodes so Im not taking the chance on searching there, Ole Buddy.

Feel free to search the GSMB. I was constantly being called out for not being a real Gator fan because I wanted Muschamp fired.

I've been on both sides.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Zaire is not Treon. Do you think we lose to Michigan with Zaire starting?

The only thing we have to go on with Zaire is his history at Notre Dame. To be honest, it's a mixed bag. There were games where he looked like a world beater and other games where he was mediocre.

He did win the starting job two games before breaking his ankle.

I am optimistic, but it remains to be seen if he can play well consistently. I think we finally have enough talent on offense to put up points if we can get someone under center that can deliver the ball downfield.

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
No it's not. Nuss's playbook is complex from what I've read and there's 100s of plays, the formations and terms. He may understand most of it but it won't be to the level he needs to succeed. He's also a bad fit for this offense. See Treon, Devin, etc for reasons why this is going to be a disaster.

I actually agree with Omar. I'll check myself in to the psych ward later.
It's hard for me to believe that Zaire is going to pick up a playbook in 12 weeks better than someone who has been practicing it for two years. I just don't see it. And maybe 10-15% of the plays are designed for Zaire's style. Plus Franks will be #1 going in to fall practice. I can' imagine the staff naming Zaire #1 and then practicing a new playbook that everyone has to pick up. Franks will start with maybe a heavy rotation of Zaire.

Zaire is supposedly an inch taller than Treon but still listed as 6'0". He can't see over the line any better than Treon.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
How do you find time to post on 8 Gator message boards?

Isn't Zaire about 1 inch taller than Harris?

2-3... but then again, I truly doubt Harris was 5-10.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
2-3... but then again, I truly doubt Harris was 5-10.

Well, Harris was listed at 5'11 and Zaire at 6'. I'm not sure why you believe one and not the other. I'm not arguing that Harris was too short to play QB (and just not a good QB). But it's not like Zaire is some 6'4, 6'5 stud either. Anything under 6'2 in this day and age of 6'4 to 6'8 OL's is "short".

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well, Harris was listed at 5'11 and Zaire at 6'. I'm not sure why you believe one and not the other. I'm not arguing that Harris was too short to play QB (and just not a good QB). But it's not like Zaire is some 6'4, 6'5 stud either. Anything under 6'2 in this day and age of 6'4 to 6'8 OL's is "short".

I don't know how tall Zaire is, but if Harris was taller than 5'8" I would love to see it. Harris was more of an athlete than quarterback, and why he was recruited at Quarterback here is any ones guess.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The only thing we have to go on with Zaire is his history at Notre Dame. To be honest it's a mixed bag. There were games where he looked like a world beater and other games where he was mediocre.

He did win the starting job two games before breaking his ankle.

I am optimistic, but it remains to be seen if he can play well consistently. I think we finally have enough talent on offense to put up points if we can get someone under center that can deliver the ball downfield.

I am not expecting any miracle but I think we go 8-4 or 9-3 with him and have a good chance to beat Michigan since mobile QBs seem to be the ones that can make that blitzing defense pay sometimes. If I was betting I think we go 7-5 and lose to Michigan if LDR or Franks is the starter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.