Urbs vs. Harbaugh - And So It Begins

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
MJMGator;n173909 said:
So one good season puts him on par with a guy that has won 3 NC's? I guess Bilemma trumps em all? :dunno:

Dude you're talking about a nerd school.....He left the program in great shape for Shaw who after the first 2 years is heading down again. Let me put this into a perspective you might understand.....Imagine if someone took over the SEC's nerd school, Vanderbilt, and within a couple of years had them winning 11 and 12 games and into the top 5 in rankings. Would you then agree that that person is a very good coach? You don't have to win NC's to be a very good coach. Unlike Meyer and Saban not everyone hand picks where they go and to a school that is pretty much set up to already win a NC.....Bielema took over an Arky program that was in the worst shape of almost any program in the country a couple of years ago. Will he win NC's there? I'm not sure but I'll bet he has them competing with the best in the west by next year and more than likely we will get to see these 2 very good coaches in the Outback Bowl or Capital One Bowl(?) within a couple of years.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n174068 said:
Dude you're talking about a nerd school.....He left the program in great shape for Shaw who after the first 2 years is heading down again. Let me put this into a perspective you might understand.....Imagine if someone took over the SEC's nerd school, Vanderbilt, and within a couple of years had them winning 11 and 12 games and into the top 5 in rankings. Would you then agree that that person is a very good coach? You don't have to win NC's to be a very good coach. Unlike Meyer and Saban not everyone hand picks where they go and to a school that is pretty much set up to already win a NC.....Bielema took over an Arky program that was in the worst shape of almost any program in the country a couple of years ago. Will he win NC's there? I'm not sure but I'll bet he has them competing with the best in the west by next year and more than likely we will get to see these 2 very good coaches in the Outback Bowl or Capital One Bowl(?) within a couple of years.

Again, that puts them on par with someone who has won 3 NCs?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n174011 said:
One great season doesn't make it a top 5 program by any stretch of the imagination.
So..... youre saying it's a mistake to hire a guy who only had one decent season and otherwise has a losing record?

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n174091 said:
So..... youre saying it's a mistake to hire a guy who only had one decent season and otherwise has a losing record?

Who said anything about it being a mistake? Only thing I saw MJM say is that there is no proof that Harbaugh is as great or better HC than Urban.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
MJMGator;n174081 said:
Again, that puts them on par with someone who has won 3 NCs?

Maybe not. I don't deny Meyer's ability as a coach. I would doubt his ability or desire to take a school like Stanford or Vandy or even Arky in the shape they were in 3 years ago, and win a NC. Jimbo fisher has a NC......Is he a better coach than Harbaugh? Could Meyer or Saban step into a nerd school that could never recruit or have the facilities like where they are now and attain a 11 or 12 win season and a top 5 ranking? Could they go to the NFL and make a mediocre team a divisional champion and one of the best 3 or 4 teams in the NFL??? In Lil Nicky's case we already know the answer.....In Meyers case NFL owners won't let guys quit because they get gas bubbles in their tummy :lol:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n174098 said:
Who said anything about it being a mistake? Only thing I saw MJM say is that there is no proof that Harbaugh is as great or better HC than Urban.

:exactly:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n174105 said:
Maybe not. I don't deny Meyer's ability as a coach. I would doubt his ability or desire to take a school like Stanford or Vandy or even Arky in the shape they were in 3 years ago, and win a NC. Jimbo fisher has a NC......Is he a better coach than Harbaugh? Could Meyer or Saban step into a nerd school that could never recruit or have the facilities like where they are now and attain a 11 or 12 win season and a top 5 ranking? Could they go to the NFL and make a mediocre team a divisional champion and one of the best 3 or 4 teams in the NFL??? In Lil Nicky's case we already know the answer.....In Meyers case NFL owners won't let guys quit because they get gas bubbles in their tummy :lol:

Why would Meyer need to take on a sh*tty job? He's proven himself at the highest levels of CFB...Harbaugh has yet to do that. I think he can, but that remains to be seen.

Dec 10, 2014
Why does Harbaugh's effectiveness as a coach only include Stanford? He did pretty well in San Francisco with a mediocre qb. At this point, Harbaugh is no Meyer in college football success. But Meyer hasn't been to any Super Bowls.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n174192 said:
Why does Harbaugh's effectiveness as a coach only include Stanford? He did pretty well in San Francisco with a mediocre qb. At this point, Harbaugh is no Meyer in college football success. But Meyer hasn't been to any Super Bowls.

Pro and college are 2 different animals. Remains to be seen if Harbaugh can recruit well enough.

Dec 10, 2014
MJMGator;n174196 said:
Pro and college are 2 different animals. Remains to be seen if Harbaugh can recruit well enough.

I disagree. I think he recruited well at Stanford. I believe all his classes were top 25, and that is a pretty good feat for building a program from the ground up. Also, I did not see where this was a recruiting ability discussion. Thought it was a "coaching ability" discussion. But whatever.

Whatever this discussion is, this is great for the Big 10. I don't think Meyer sticks around OSU long enough for Harbaugh to field teams of equal or better talent. I think Urbs is gone to the NFL in 2-3 years. Maybe Harbuagh beats him in year three, and it's the impetus to leave.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n174208 said:
I disagree. I think he recruited well at Stanford. I believe all his classes were top 25, and that is a pretty good feat for building a program from the ground up. Also, I did not see where this was a recruiting ability discussion. Thought it was a "coaching ability" discussion. But whatever.

Whatever this discussion is, this is great for the Big 10. I don't think Meyer sticks around OSU long enough for Harbaugh to field teams of equal or better talent. I think Urbs is gone to the NFL in 2-3 years. Maybe Harbuagh beats him in year three, and it's the impetus to leave.

Has Harbaurgh shown the ability to stay at one place for all that long? I think his tenure at places is shorter than Meyer's.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n174208 said:

I just think that recruiting is a huge part of being a successful college coach that you have to consider it in one's ability. I also think you're right about Meyer...the NFL
is calling.

Dec 10, 2014
WobbleGator;n174213 said:
Has Harbaurgh shown the ability to stay at one place for all that long? I think his tenure at places is shorter than Meyer's.

Why is this relevant to how long Meyer stays at osu ...?

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n174231 said:
Why is this relevant to how long Meyer stays at osu ...?

I was just pointing out that Harbaurgh might be gone before Urban is.

Dec 10, 2014
WobbleGator;n174232 said:
I was just pointing out that Harbaurgh might be gone before Urban is.

Possibly. But Meyer has indicated interest in the NFL. Harbaugh just left the NFL with head coaching offers in hand. I think it's more likely that Meyer tests the NFL water in the next few years. Stranger things have happened though.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Has Meyer started turning in Harbaugh for joke secondary recruiting violations yet? I remember Muschamp getting pissed about that when he first took over at OSU.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Tried a cut'n'paste from wiki on the coaching tenures, but it wrecked when I tried to post. Net information is that Meyer has been three places for 5 yrs (CSU 90-95, ND 96-00, UF 05-10), Harbaugh's bests was WKU for 7 yrs (94-01), then three years at San Diego (04-06), Stanford (07-10), and San Francisco (11-14). Harbaugh's tenures are shorter on average, but show a positive trajectory like stars in a given profession would do. For that it has sustained a decade, tells me it isn't fluff and fortunate circumstances, he has to be doing something right. There could be an argument made on Urban's lack of NFL experience, perhaps they don't see him up to the task? As noted NFL and NCAA are different animals. I'm not saying Urb can't do NFL, just proposing there may be a reason for his not having a stint in the NFL as yet.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n174192 said:
But he hasn't won dick. And despite mediocre qb play ,he inherited a top notch defense with the 49ers. For an offensive coach his offenses haven't been very scary at either level. Atleast as a college coach he's not even in the same ball park as Meyer ,atleast from a who's more proven stand point.

Dec 10, 2014
t-gator;n174299 said:
But he hasn't won dick. And despite mediocre qb play ,he inherited a top notch defense with the 49ers. For an offensive coach his offenses haven't been very scary at either level. Atleast as a college coach he's not even in the same ball park as Meyer ,atleast from a who's more proven stand point.

I wouldn't consider a Rose Bowl, five playoff victories, and a NFC championship "dick." To each his own. The guy who had that top-notch defense before him certainly didn't win "dick." So as great as that defense may have been, it took Harbaugh to get the team winning. My entry into this thread per my first post wasn't about Harbaugh being a better head coach than Meyer. I was pointing out that it's unfair to not consider Harbaugh's entire resume, which is impressive. Before he got to San Francisco, there wasn't much happening. After he has left Stanford, not much has been happening. He's proven he's a great coach. He doesn't need to ever prove he's better than Meyer. He just has to worry about getting Michigan ready to play against Meyer in the present.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator